Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #1

K30/50 Body only + SLR lenses?

Quick question for you all...

Would you guys recommend for me to opt out of kit lenses and purchase body without owning any digital SLR lenses? I have a plethora of 35mm Nikon SLR lenses that I have been using with my Q. I just can't afford an entire kit right away. Eventually I will purchase K-mount lenses...but just now. Is it worth it? I'm a casual photographer.

Thanks.

02-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter

You might be able to find a k-30 with 18-55 for $350ish.

If you decide to use the Nikon lenses, you're gonna need an adapter.
02-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarinatedHerring Quote
Quick question for you all...

Would you guys recommend for me to opt out of kit lenses and purchase body without owning any digital SLR lenses? I have a plethora of 35mm Nikon SLR lenses that I have been using with my Q. I just can't afford an entire kit right away. Eventually I will purchase K-mount lenses...but just now. Is it worth it? I'm a casual photographer.

Thanks.
You can't really use Nikon lenses on a Pentax DSLR, so in your case I'd recommend going for the kit lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even if you have old k-mount lenses none of them will be really 'wide' on APS-C cameras so the kit lens (or the much nicer 18-135) will give you the wide angle and your SLR lenses can be used at normal or telephoto ranges. But Nikon lenses are not going to work on k-mount very well. If you like old manual focus there are lots of good k-mount stuff out there reasonably priced, but the Nikon stuff is better off on the Q.

02-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can't really use Nikon lenses on a Pentax DSLR, so in your case I'd recommend going for the kit lens.
Is there not an adapter that allows F-mount to be put onto K30/50?

For example, this lens: Nikkor-Q 135mm f2.8?

I am new to DSLRs but the lens worked quite nicely on my Pentax Q. Could you expand on why it wouldn't work? I just intend to use manual focus until I can get a nicer lens that will allow for auto-focus, etc.

Thanks Adam
02-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by MarinatedHerring Quote
Is there not an adapter that allows F-mount to be put onto K30/50?
There is, but it's basically a cheap teleconverter so it will result in way worse image quality than the kit lens.

The Q mount has a different registration distance so Nikon lenses can be used without any corrective optics, but the same doesn't apply to the K mount.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Even if you have old k-mount lenses none of them will be really 'wide' on APS-C cameras so the kit lens (or the much nicer 18-135) will give you the wide angle and your SLR lenses can be used at normal or telephoto ranges. But Nikon lenses are not going to work on k-mount very well. If you like old manual focus there are lots of good k-mount stuff out there reasonably priced, but the Nikon stuff is better off on the Q.
Oh, I see what you are saying. They wouldn't get the full potential from the K30/50. It would be better off getting a kit lens if I am starting with a DSLR?

02-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There is, but it's basically a cheap teleconverter so it will result in way worse image quality than the kit lens.

The Q mount has a different registration distance so Nikon lenses can be used without any corrective optics, but the same doesn't apply to the K mount.
Got it. Exactly what I was wondering. Thanks a bunch Hope to learn a lot more on these great forums.
02-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Also have a look at this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/246811-nikon-f-mount-penta...t-adapter.html
(I'm sure there are others as well!)

Short story: You can "force fit" some Nikon lenses on Pentax if you're careful. Other you will need an adapter to use, but those adapters will need a lens element in order to gain infinite focus, and this will pretty much ruin image quality and crop the picture a bit.
02-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is a user here who is selling a modified K-mount ring that allows the mounting of Nikon F, Olympus OM, and Contax/Yashica C/Y lenses without optical correction and with infinity focus. But it is limited to non-WR and certain film bodies for the time being.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/247977-manual-fo...ntax-dslr.html
02-05-2014, 04:54 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There is a user here who is selling a modified K-mount ring that allows the mounting of Nikon F, Olympus OM, and Contax/Yashica C/Y lenses without optical correction and with infinity focus. But it is limited to non-WR and certain film bodies for the time being.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/247977-manual-fo...ntax-dslr.html
Only for the K-r at the moment IIRC. But all manual, no AF/WR as yet. It's a Singapore made product.
03-02-2014, 02:42 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is the link
Manual focus galore! Nikon F, Olympus OM, C/Y, Konica AR mount lenses on Pentax DSLR.
03-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you for the link. I made a submission for the gift thread on these forums . I hope to win because then it means I can use a Pentax DSLR with Nikon lenses. Looking at the K500 or K-r. I have many of these nikon lenses and really want to get use out of them while having my favorite dslr brand.
03-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Bottom line, if you value weather resistance at all (this even helps with issues like dust), you are best off with the body and one of the kit WR lenses. The 18-55 Pentax lens series is optically quite good if you stop down just one stop. Better typically than a lot of the more expensive zooms - such as the 18-135. The body isn't WR unless you have a WR lens on it. I only have the one WR lens (out of dozens of lenses), but really glad to have that one.