Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #1

Kx to K-30 upgrade

The time has finally come. I feel like I'm finally ready to upgrade camera bodies and I am still pretty unsure of which I would like to upgrade to. Right now I'm shooting on a Pentax Kx and have been since it was released. I'm looking at upgrading to a K30 body and was wondering if anybody could find a reason for me to either 1.) stay put with the Kx, or 2.) go ahead with the upgrade. The main selling point for me is the weather sealing and the pentaprism finder, but maybe there's something I'm missing? To me this is a pretty big investment so any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

02-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you'll be very happy with the K-30, as it's a pretty big upgrade over the K-x is just about every area.

Image quality: you get more resolution, more dynamic range, and less noise
Build quality: weather sealing plus a better construction
Ergonomics: easier to hold, 2 e-dials, more buttons
Autofocus: improved videwfinder AF, greatly improved live view AF
Video: full HD recording, manual controls, plus focus peaking in live view

No sales outside of the marketplace, BTW. When you're ready to sell your old camera, list it here and I'm sure it'll go in no time.

You can read even more about the K-30 in our in-depth review:
Pentax K-30 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think you'll be very happy with the K-30, as it's a pretty big upgrade over the K-x is just about every area.

Image quality: you get more resolution, more dynamic range, and less noise
Build quality: weather sealing plus a better construction
Ergonomics: easier to hold, 2 e-dials, more buttons
Autofocus: improved videwfinder AF, greatly improved live view AF
Video: full HD recording, manual controls, plus focus peaking in live view

No sales outside of the marketplace, BTW. When you're ready to sell your old camera, list it here and I'm sure it'll go in no time.

You can read even more about the K-30 in our in-depth review:
Pentax K-30 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Thank you for all of the information. I have been tossing around the idea of upgrading to the k30 for a while now but all of that pretty much sealed the deal.
02-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

yeah, it's a big jump up in all technology. You could go further up the chain to the K50, but it may not bring all that much more. The K30 seems like a great camera for the price now.

Another option is a K5 (used are very inexpensive) if you want to bump to the "enthusiast" bodies.

02-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
yeah, it's a big jump up in all technology. You could go further up the chain to the K50, but it may not bring all that much more. The K30 seems like a great camera for the price now.

Another option is a K5 (used are very inexpensive) if you want to bump to the "enthusiast" bodies.
I guess you'll have to explain what you mean by "enthusiast" bodies haha
02-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

This thread below helped convince me to make the upgrade from my K-x to K-50. There are some links in this thread to really helpful K-x versus K-30 comparisons.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/245232-upgrade-my-trusty-kx.html

Whether you choose K-30 or K-50 is up to your preference for the body style, as well as the price you're willing to pay. I was able to snag a K-50 for a very low price that was not that much more than a K-30, so I went for the newer model. I also slightly preferred the more traditional styling.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/245625-another-k-50-...-question.html

Good luck!
02-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

In the past there would be a K20, K200 and Kx - with more introductory features as the numbers went up, and fewer built-in controls, weather sealing etc.
The K30 kind of broke that pattern, probably it should have been named the K50...but Pentax's numbering schemes are rather opaque now. These were considered enthusiast, intermediate and introductory cameras. The lines are more blurry now, but look at K5, K50, K500 in the camera comparison section if you want to see what it means.

The K5 and K3 will not have scene modes, The K30 does. The K30 also lacks the top LCD which is a convenience in the field.

So, really the K30 is great as an intermediate to advanced skill camera - but the K5 etc. will make you learn the settings yourself. I grew up with fully manual film cameras so I was attracted to the great manual controls on the K10, and then jumped to K5 a few years later.

You're going to get great images with either of these choices, really you can't go wrong. It's just a question of how you think you'll use it (and grow with it, because you will).
02-07-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by camwill87 Quote
I guess you'll have to explain what you mean by "enthusiast" bodies haha
I'll just add to everything that @Ter-or said, and also that the K-30/50 does not allow you to attach a battery grip that might help in balancing heavier/longer lenses. The K-5 and K-3 do offer a battery grip option. In addition, K-30/50 have all the "scene modes" that your K-x has, but these are missing on the higher end enthusiast K-5/K-3. Lastly there is the whole 12 bit versus 14 bit RAW capability which I don't fully understand but apparently matters to some photographers.

02-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I'll just add to everything that @Ter-or said, and also that the K-30/50 does not allow you to attach a battery grip that might help in balancing heavier/longer lenses. The K-5 and K-3 do offer a battery grip option. In addition, K-30/50 have all the "scene modes" that your K-x has, but these are missing on the higher end enthusiast K-5/K-3. Lastly there is the whole 12 bit versus 14 bit RAW capability which I don't fully understand but apparently matters to some photographers.
Sad as this may be, I never took advantage of the "scene modes" so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't miss that option at all. I actually had to look at my camera to figure out what you were talking about.
That is a good thing to point out though about the battery grip. One thing I never liked about my Kx was the AA batteries and whether rechargeable or not it just seemed like a hassle. I guess I'll be going back to the drawing board and maybe taking a look at the K5/50 as well.
02-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by camwill87 Quote
Sad as this may be, I never took advantage of the "scene modes" so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't miss that option at all. I actually had to look at my camera to figure out what you were talking about.
That is a good thing to point out though about the battery grip. One thing I never liked about my Kx was the AA batteries and whether rechargeable or not it just seemed like a hassle. I guess I'll be going back to the drawing board and maybe taking a look at the K5/50 as well.
The K-30 and 50 use the same battery(s). You have the option of the stock Li-ion battery that comes with the camera and you can also use various AA batteries if you purchase the holder (the Chinese knock-offs are cheap and work).
02-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #11
Emperor and Senpai

I went from the Kx to the K5 and it was a huge jump on image quality. It lacks the focus peaking that the K30 has, but it has solid build quality and the images from it are awesome.
02-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter

You'll love the K-30. I went from a K20D to a K-30 and although the K-30 is supposed to be mid-range, it seemed like the natural step up from the K20D. I chose it over the K5 because of the better autofocus and focus peaking. I really thought I might miss the top LCD, but I don't miss it at all, and the focus peaking is an excellent tool when using a tripod. You won't find a better camera for the price.
02-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I just ordered a K-30 myself, upgrading from a K-x also.
Started film SLR with a Pentax MX way many years ago.
I had a few point and shoot digitals, then finally found a *istDL on ebay.
Found a used K-x on Amazon and now
Yay, a brand NEW Pentax K-30!!
Hope we like them! :-)
02-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Go for it. The image quality is excellent and it is a fantastic bang for the buck. You could find a new one below $450.
02-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I went from the Kx to the K5 and it was a huge jump on image quality. It lacks the focus peaking that the K30 has, but it has solid build quality and the images from it are awesome.
I went from the K-x to the k-5ii. And it's such a huge jump compared to my skill (lack thereof!). I basically used my K-x as a high end PnS, which is really a shame because it is a very capable camera.

Sometimes, you can find k-30s from Amazon Warehouse for $350-375, body only.