Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Keep K-30 in live view mode?

Hi,

When I use live view mode to take a picture,press the playback button to look at the picture, press playback again to get back into picture taking mode, my K-30 turns off live view and I have to press the live view button again. I find this quite distracting.

Is there a way to keep live view active?

02-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately not, that's just how it is. It will also pop out of live view if you change the mode. Luckily they fixed this in the k3, so future entry level models should behave the same way.
02-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

DSLRs are not really meant to be in live view mode - its more of a bonus feature than a standard operating mode.
If you want to be constantly in live view, think about the Pentax K-01
02-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
DSLRs are not really meant to be in live view mode - its more of a bonus feature than a standard operating mode.
If you want to be constantly in live view, think about the Pentax K-01
I would think if they deliver a feature then that feature is meant to be used :-). Maybe the feature has a lower priority and they didn't think it through.

---------- Post added 02-14-14 at 10:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Unfortunately not, that's just how it is. It will also pop out of live view if you change the mode. Luckily they fixed this in the k3, so future entry level models should behave the same way.
Unfortunately I bought the K-30 last summer so my next camera purchase is quite a bit away...

02-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxxxx Quote
Is there a way to keep live view active?
Don't be chimping?
02-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would think if they deliver a feature then that feature is meant to be used :-)
Mmh, true, but within limitations. Using live view for extended periods of time can even cause overheating and such. Im not trying to "prohibit" your use of live view, Im just saying its not a perfect tool and there might be ones more suited for that specific need. Many of us wish we could get it all in one camera, though
02-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Mmh, true, but within limitations. Using live view for extended periods of time can even cause overheating and such. Im not trying to "prohibit" your use of live view, Im just saying its not a perfect tool and there might be ones more suited for that specific need. Many of us wish we could get it all in one camera, though
I use LiveView mainly for precise focusing with manual lenses. At least for me, it's the only option to get this done. The view finder just doesn't show focus well enough. Now if they would put a split prism into the view finder then things might change....

02-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah, I also like to use live view with x6 for precise focusing, but only when i really take my time for that motif. But.. I also have K-01, so....
02-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe you should just look through the viewfinder. I find it a lot easier to take photos that way, anyway..
02-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
Maybe you should just look through the viewfinder. I find it a lot easier to take photos that way, anyway..
My eyes are not good enough when I use a lens with a shallow DOF
02-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My eyes are not good enough when I use a lens with a shallow DOF
You could use AF, or use MF and half hold down the shutter and wait for the beep that it's in focus.
02-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Unfortunately I bought the K-30 last summer so my next camera purchase is quite a bit away...
Bought mine in November 2012..........I don't find it distracting at all......
02-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ausmoose Quote
You could use AF, or use MF and half hold down the shutter and wait for the beep that it's in focus.
One of the features that made me get the K-30 was focus peaking which works only in live view. It's a very useful feature for macros or product photography.
02-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've come to the conclusion that the K-30 was a bit rushed into final production, with Pentax (Ricoh) sensing that it had a potential hit and the K-01 wasn't going to make big waves. At least it worked out that way.

For those of us who have both cameras, it is pretty darn clear that more attention to detail went into the K-01 - and the K-30 consequently is somewhat hobbled by how closely the interface of the K-01 (full time live view obviously) matches the K-30 - to its detriment. The matching K-01 and K-30 processing engines are designed around live view essentially, and they rarely overheat. The user should have the menu option to stay in live view or cycle to VF. Obviously, pressing the delete button constantly will bring you back. But it is a slow and noisy process for no real reason. I don't know what cost - if anything - was saved by forcing the mirror to recycle for each shot in live view.

Certainly I'd pick the K-30 if it was my only option, but the K-01 is my preferred option for most situations not requiring tracking action or out in the bright sunlight. It is just plain easier to focus on the image-making task with the K-01.