Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K30, Sigma EF-610 Super and Pentax 43mm

Hi,

I've bought new flash Sigma EF-610. I think it works on my K30. When I use the Tamron 18-200mm, the zooming will be seen on the flash LCD. But when I use the lens 43mm the flash sees that a 70mm lens . Woh this must be a bonus except that it's too annoyed (I have to use Manual mode for a limited lens).

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

02-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you get vignetting? If not, I would not worry about it. The value is more or less right (43×1.5) although I would have expected one step lower. You did not buy the Canon version of the flash by accident

Although it does not explain why there is a difference in the behaviour with the two lenses, is there a setting to choose between APSc and FF on the flash?
02-15-2014, 12:10 AM   #3
icy

Original Poster
Thanks. Maybe I don't know how to use it. Let me try again
02-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've just tried my K10D, AF540 and both kit lens and FA31Ltd. The indication on the flash follows the (non adjusted) focal length for both lenses; FA31Ltd is set to 24 mm. If I force a higher focal length on the flash, I get vignetting.

02-16-2014, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
The flash is displaying the so called "35mm equivalent" values. 43mm X 1.5 = 64.5 and the closest value on the flash is 70mm.

While I understand the flash is zooming correctly to closely match the field of view of the lens on my camera, I also find Sigma's firmware programming annoying in this regard.
02-17-2014, 02:59 AM   #6
icy

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
The flash is displaying the so called "35mm equivalent" values. 43mm X 1.5 = 64.5 and the closest value on the flash is 70mm.

While I understand the flash is zooming correctly to closely match the field of view of the lens on my camera, I also find Sigma's firmware programming annoying in this regard.
You're right I've tested with a zoom lens and the display value on LCD is multipled. Now I got it. I checked in Sigma's documentation they didn't tell this about this but they did provide a table of flash coverage angle. (E.g, 40-49mm has 70mm as flash coverage angle -- which is my case.)
02-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by icy Quote
But when I use the lens 43mm the flash sees that a 70mm lens
This is expected and is explained (not very clearly) in the user manual. At least it is in mine

Steve

02-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is expected and is explained (not very clearly) in the user manual. At least it is in mine

Steve
The manual for this flash is difficult to understand, and I've found the only chance I have of doing so is to also have the camera manual open to the flash settings and read the two manuals together.
02-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #9
icy

Original Poster
The manual for this flash is difficult to understand, and I've found the only chance I have of doing so is to also have the camera manual open to the flash settings and read the two manuals together.
I have to agree. The manual told me to use M-mode in the camera and flash to use FP mode (fast sync, aka. HSS). After many tries I thought my flash was broken. Fortunately, using TTL mode and using +/- buttons will give FP mode. I found that by accidence. So, the manual must hide something
02-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The manual for this flash is difficult to understand
No argument there. It took me several times through the flash manual and an attempt to use all of the supported features before I got a reasonable degree of mastery. May I also add that the manual itself is bulky and flimsy? The pages are falling out of mine. I am going to make myself a single sheet guide suitable to slip into the camera bag.

In regards to the focal length, the information is on page 15 of the flash manual in the section titled "Setting of Flash Coverage Angle". The first bullet point explains that the displayed "ZOOM" value represents the 35mm equivalent focal length for field-of-view. When manually setting the "ZOOM", it is important to keep this in mind. For example, if I am shooting with a manual focus 50mm lens, I should input 70mm as the "ZOOM" value.

Steve

---------- Post added 02-19-14 at 07:39 PM ----------

The manual told me to use M-mode in the camera and flash to use FP mode (fast sync, aka. HSS).After many tries I thought my flash was broken. Fortunately, using TTL mode and using +/- buttons will give FP mode. I found that by accidence. So, the manual must hide something.
???

The English section of my copy of the flash manual (p17-p18) says to consult the camera manual for camera settings to support HSS.* It goes on to state that supported flash modes are P-TTL, Contrast-Control-Sync, and Wireless. It then says to use "+" or "-" buttons on the flash to display the "FP" indicator on the flash LCD. Looks to be pretty explicit (nothing hidden).

Steve

* For the K-30 and K-50 that would be Tv or M mode with the shutter speed set to greater than 1/180s.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-19-2014 at 09:24 PM.
02-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
icy

Original Poster
The English section of my copy of the flash manual (p17-p18) says to consult the camera manual for camera settings to support HSS.* It goes on to state that supported flash modes are P-TTL, Contrast-Control-Sync, and Wireless. It then says to use "+" or "-" buttons on the flash to display the "FP" indicator on the flash LCD. Looks to be pretty explicit (nothing hidden)
My version is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzij5vyni32i6sq/sigma-ef-610.pdf . On page 6-7 it tells me to use M-mode on both camera and flash I may miss something!

QuoteQuote:
* For the K-30 and K-50 that would be Tv or M mode with the shutter speed set to greater than 1/180s.
Thanks for the info. I often use TAv mode (A K30 bonus ) so switching to Tv/M is quite tricky to me

---------- Post added 02-20-14 at 12:25 PM ----------

Btw, what's the advantages of the Sigma in comparision with a Pentax 540 Fgz? Sigma is something like M/Av flash while Pentax has fully digital support!

Last edited by icy; 02-19-2014 at 11:47 PM.
02-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

On page 6-7 it tells me to use M-mode on both camera and flash I may miss something!
It looks like the something you are missing is the Pentax version of the manual (says "PA-PTTL" on the cover). Yours is for the Sigma SA version of the flash, which is compatible with Sigma SA/SD cameras. Oh! No! You do have the Pentax version of the flash, don't you? It should have the following label in red just above the flash LCD:
EF-610 DG SUPER PA-PTTL

Steve

---------- Post added 02-20-14 at 04:25 PM ----------

Btw, what's the advantages of the Sigma in comparision with a Pentax 540 Fgz? Sigma is something like M/Av flash while Pentax has fully digital support!
The two are supposed to be essentially feature equivalent, with the exception that the Sigma does not have the (very handy) auto thyristor mode of the Pentax nor does it support first-generation analogue TTL on various film cameras. Given the $175 difference in price, there are less expensive alternatives if one needs auto-thyristor functionality.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-22-2014 at 11:01 AM.
02-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #13
icy

Original Poster
It looks like the something you are missing is the Pentax version of the manual (says "PA-PTTL" on the cover). Yours is for the Sigma SA version of the flash, which is compatible with Sigma SA/SD cameras. Oh! No! You do have the Pentax version of the flash, don't you? It should have the following label in red just above the flash LCD:
EF-610 DG SUPER PA-PTTL
My version is PA-PTTL. So you're right. The seller sent me a wrong version of documentation. Would you mind sending me an English version of the flash's manual? All that I can find is a Japanese one

QuoteQuote:
The two are supposed to be essentially feature equivalent, with the exception that the Sigma does not have the (very handy) auto thyristor mode of the Pentax nor does it support first-generation analogue TTL on various film cameras. Given the $175 difference in price, there are less expensive alternatives if one needs auto-thyristor functionality.
Thanks for your explanation. I have no idea of "auto thyristor". Maybe I don't need it in a near future
02-23-2014, 01:21 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My version is PA-PTTL. So you're right. The seller sent me a wrong version of documentation. Would you mind sending me an English version of the flash's manual? All that I can find is a Japanese one
I don't have an acrobat version of the documetation. Sorry If it helps any, the paper manual I do have starts with Japanese, but continues in English and several other languages. The publication number is F18P10091.

I have no idea of "auto thyristor". Maybe I don't need it in a near future
Auto-thyristor flashes use an older version of flash automation where the flash duration is controlled through an electric eye located on the front of the flash unit. It works with any camera and is pretty reliable. The downside is that you generally only have two aperture choices for any particular ISO value. There are certain flash techniques (e.g. light painting using long exposures and hand-held flash) where auto-thyristor flash is helpful. Fortunately there are many cheap speedlights with this feature.
02-23-2014, 06:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

You can download the manual from the sigma site. Google is your friend: Sigma Imaging UK | Downloads

And a little note: auto iso is the mother of all evil when it comes to flash.