Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #1

K-50 Noisy Front E-Dial

Hello!

I recently received a brand new K-50 from Amazon. This is my first Pentax camera. Love everything about it, except the front e-dial is causing me concern. When being rotated clockwise, it intermittently makes a clicking noise before going to the next detent. It almost sounds like the weather seal is not quite seated correctly (my uneducated guess). After rotating quickly back and forth a few times, this condition subsides. After sitting for a few hours, it will return. It is strange since the dial feels great when rotated counterclockwise. The rear e-dial operates great in both directions.

Do these weather sealed e-dials take some time to "break in" over time, or should I be worried about this? Please help!

02-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe try a a little 90% rubbing alcohol in the dial then rotate it. I clean the dials on my k-7 once every two weeks or so. To my knowledge it should not be making noises.
02-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #3

I have bought mine recently and dials shouldn't make noise, as you say suzook it is possible that the weather seal has not been fitted correctly. it should only feel a bit hard to rotate, no noise.
Guess better option is to take it a camera shop to see their professional opinion.
02-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would not put alcohol or indeed any solvent on the camera - it could badly damage the seals and will almost certainly remove any lubricant of the seal.

If you really have to pour something in perhaps better something like olive oil if you want to lubricate.
If you want to clean out gunge trapped in the dial you might use liquid soap diluted with water and then rinse with clean water. However even this is to be avoided unless absolutely necessary as the lubricant might even be soluble in detergent.

02-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I would not put alcohol or indeed any solvent on the camera - it could badly damage the seals and will almost certainly remove any lubricant of the seal.

If you really have to pour something in perhaps better something like olive oil if you want to lubricate.
If you want to clean out gunge trapped in the dial you might use liquid soap diluted with water and then rinse with clean water. However even this is to be avoided unless absolutely necessary as the lubricant might even be soluble in detergent.
Olive oil? Wow, never head that one before, nor would I ever try it. I have used rubbing alcohol for years and it works fine and does not damage a single thing. it is an ORGANIC solvent.