Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2014, 02:30 AM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by szmatefy Quote
Hey folks, I need suggestions...I'd like to start wedding and family event photography. I'd like to start with my K-30, and invest later on a K-3. I'd like to hear experiences with K-30 in such situation, is K-30 capable of this kind of job, (with additional batteries), or just forget it? I'd like to hear suggestions on lenses too. At this moment I have a 50mm/1.8 and a 18-135WR, and I'm considering getting a 50-135, or a prime in the range of 70, 77 or 85mm.

Of course, in the beginning I am on budget, but I have to start somewhere...I appreciate any advices.

Cheers

Szabolcs
A good contract is probably the best piece of equipment you could possibly set out with. Make it clear what each side expects and what can and can't be done if things go wrong. It saves a whole lot of ill feeling when something doesn't work out as planned if it's all agreed beforehand.

Just because someone's on a budget doesn't stop them from being hugely demanding!

02-18-2014, 03:20 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
In another thread some one just posted when talking about street photography . ". However, thanks to Facebook, crap shots are acceptable these days. " and that just about says it all don't it.
It's worse than that. You're considered to be very rude if you point out the problems with someone's work. So I don't.

---------- Post added 02-18-2014 at 04:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by szmatefy Quote
I wanted to join to someone as a second shooter and assistant, but it turned out that finally he wants to do the job alone, though I offered my job for free.
I would never take someone else on during a wedding. They wouldn't be covered by my insurance, and I could be liable for their actions.
02-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Along those same lines, I'm not sure the K-30 mirror/shutter mechanism is quiet enough for the ceremony. It would be fine for the reception, though.
I agree that the biggest downside is shutter noise during the ceremony (battery capacity is also a real issue). The least expensive solution - while attaining the two body requirement mentioned by others - is to add the K-01 with a viewfinder loupe (preferably the Perfect version allowing for flip up viewing). The K-01 is slow for RAW, but is very quiet due to no mirror slap, great battery capacity, and allows for some light video work if requested (better than the K-30 which lacks mic input, has only a mono mic on board, and the battery drain in video is very limiting).

The reason it can work - at least as a starter pro rig - is the menu system and photo quality (same sensor on each) are a very close match between the K-30 and K-01. Under pressure, the last thing you want is to remember menu differences between cameras.
02-21-2014, 12:46 AM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Most weddings I've been to had a paid photographer shooting portraits of the bride+groom and best man+bride's maid before or after church. And also the ceremony in church, but not the reception afterwards. A few weddings were only one of either portraits or the ceremony. I have also never seen a photographer use a flash inside the church. I guess there are other norms in other parts of the world.

Anyway, my point is that the recommendations that you need two flashes, tripod etc might not always be applicable.