Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
Forum Member

Wedding starting with K-30?

Hey folks, I need suggestions...I'd like to start wedding and family event photography. I'd like to start with my K-30, and invest later on a K-3. I'd like to hear experiences with K-30 in such situation, is K-30 capable of this kind of job, (with additional batteries), or just forget it? I'd like to hear suggestions on lenses too. At this moment I have a 50mm/1.8 and a 18-135WR, and I'm considering getting a 50-135, or a prime in the range of 70, 77 or 85mm.

Of course, in the beginning I am on budget, but I have to start somewhere...I appreciate any advices.

Cheers

Szabolcs

02-17-2014, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #2

Business liability insurance, registration with the local authorities, registration to pay state sales tax, use a contract, have at least two each of camera bodies and flash units. Avoiding any of these can get you into lots of hot water.

Any modern camera can do a wedding or a family event. Exactly how it's done can depend on the equipment, but someone who knows what they're doing can do a wonderful job with a film camera and a single roll of film. We're totally spoiled these days with 32GB cards and intelligent flash units and cameras on auto-pilot.

To actually answer the question: You'll want to have at least two cameras, two flash units, two flash brackets, several lenses, a good tripod, plenty of spare batteries and memory cards, and a good way to keep this stuff close and move it in a hurry. It'd help to have a second person to hold onto the spare gear. And you need all the legal stuff mentioned above. And read books on how to cover a wedding, keeping in mind that there are several ways to do it. And practice wrangling people. Do some family events first.
02-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In terms of pure image quality? The K-30 should be able to do the job. The problem is that wedding photography is a very serious business. It is competitive and if you mess up, the couple can even sue you for "ruining their day". (there are cases of this happening)
I think most people start wedding photography as an apprentice, they work as a backup photographer with someone more experienced, until they get the skills, the kit, and eventually an assistant.
The 50-135mm is a good choice for wedding photography, but wedding photographers often have two cameras with different lenses on, because they don't always have the time to switch lenses.

So.. all in all.. the K-30 could be okay. But its not "enough" - you need other things. Most importantly lenses and skills. And lighting technique. Its a whole thing.

For "family events" that aren't as serious, that aren't "once in a lifetime" things are different and the photos don't need to be perfect, and you have more time to switch lenses and such. But the "once in a lifetime" events are very serious. In all cultures
02-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I am pretty much aware of the risks, and I planned to start with couples on budget. I wanted to join to someone as a second shooter and assistant, but it turned out that finally he wants to do the job alone, though I offered my job for free.

I decided to offer my help for couples who has no money to hire a photographer to do them the shooting for free (or only expense coverage) in the beginning, and when I built up a confidence, and a portfolio, make the next step.

My plan is to get a K-3 too, but first I need to get a certain experience, and make some money later, to afford it, and then use the K-30 as a second camera. At this moment I have the k-30 and my daughter has a K-m.

The thing is that I am a visual artist, and I have too much ideas to let them fly away...

02-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

I agree with bdp1.. don't jump headfirst into weddings.. for one ensure you know proper lighting techniques - how to properly bounce flash and use available lighting to your advantage, get comfortable with your cameras, make sure you have two bodies with different lenses (maybe a 50-135 or 70-200 f/2.8 on one and a prime on the other)

Maybe dig into learning how well regarded wedding photographers (Neil van Niekerk and Jerry Ghionis come to mind) approach a wedding before venturing forth. Jerry says being the assistant to someone you regard well in photography is the best learning curve because, then, you are with them during a shoot and see exactly what they are doing and how they are overcoming various location constraints. Outside of this, try books and online presentations.. and a lot of general composition/lighting/people practice.

Hah, to answer your question though, The K-30 should be OK for the task.. I think though lighting and composition techniques, people skills, and good lenses, however, should be the more larger concerns on the image capturing side of photography over your camera body... they are all (imo) well capable these days.
02-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, good advises here. I'll start somehow, and I'm looking for the opportunity. What would you suggest?

I have Scott Kelby's books on Digital Photography, and I've learned a lot from them, I'll check those two gentlemen mentioned also.

I've also considered sneak in weddings, and take shots as discrete as I can, to learn. I start to discover churches also, and I found, that my camera do a great job in churches with quite low light.

I know one thing, that I'd like to do photography for living as soon as possible.
02-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Some great advice has been posted so far in this thread. I just wanted to chime in and add that it's important to get a lens with quiet AF. You don't want to be the one attracting all of the attention with your screwdrive lens going bzzt bzzt constantly

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Remember that you can easily rent equipment (camera, lenses, flashes, accessories) these days, so you don't need to own all the requisite equipment. And, when you do charge, you can cover any rental fees you need to pay.

I'll be renting at least one lens as well as a flash and a grip for a wedding in May. I can't afford to own two of everything I need for shooting a wedding.
02-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Regarding ideas.. its great if you have a booklet where you can draw sketches and write down the idea (light, DoF, model). This will serve as a reminder and a plan.

Keep in mind that just because a couple doesn't want to buy an expensive photographer, doesn't mean they won't be demanding. They might still have high expectation and demands.

To get started, I suggest you get a flash and triggers, so you can use it off-camera. Plus diffuser. These things can be found relatively cheap. This would be the bare minimum, because you will rarely have good light to work with. And you need to get experience with it.
02-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Some great advice has been posted so far in this thread. I just wanted to chime in and add that it's important to get a lens with quiet AF. You don't want to be the one attracting all of the attention with your screwdrive lens going bzzt bzzt constantly
Robocop in action lol
02-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Na Horuk, thanks, good hints, I've just ordered my triggers

Location can be quite problematic, here in Hungary renting equipment is not as straightforward, especially not for Pentax. Here, Pentax is not treated as a serious brand.

Yep, the screwdrive makes me scared sometimes too, I might not bring the 50mm to a church...

That's why I am considering the 50-135.

And the high demands against the low budget is one thing that I'm afraid of.

I think, I try to find a photog, who let me assist him (hard here), and practice, practice, and practice. Please, if you have more advises, let me know them.

Cheers
02-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Along those same lines, I'm not sure the K-30 mirror/shutter mechanism is quiet enough for the ceremony. It would be fine for the reception, though.
02-18-2014, 01:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kn30 is very noisy for a church I'm afraid, ok of you are the back wool a long fast lens my wife uses one for that while I use a k5 at the front , either as a remote or with me if the minister will allow a photographer at the front of the church , some won't.
Good. Advice in the first posts about equipment and insurance plenty of threads on this subject , find them and read them tons of good sensible advice including sample contracts

I have packed in weddings after 27 years , it's not nice these days the business has been financially wrecked by amateurs doing a full day for less than the national minimum pay rate for hourly work, and brides who all want celebrity weddings and spend all the money on dress ,fancy venue, food, cake but want photographs for budget

In another thread some one just posted when talking about street photography . ". However, thanks to Facebook, crap shots are acceptable these days. " and that just about says it all don't it.

Last edited by adwb; 02-18-2014 at 01:38 AM.
02-18-2014, 02:09 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
I see. As a 3D artist I see the same, I have a immerse experience in CG, digital sculpting, and I think my experience should be payed, however there are newbies who ask lot less than me for the same job. And sometimes the client returns to me telling that the job took three times more time, than they planned, and the final result was the third in quality they expected. But they spared money.

Back to the topic.

What camera would you suggest? I'm a bit afraid of the AF performance too.
02-18-2014, 02:21 AM   #15

Most of your clients aren't going to be pixel peepers, I've gotten through a wedding or two with an panasonic lumix g1 when my k3 was getting repaired. At the end of the day the pics you consider "meh" may very well look amazing to the client. The K-30 will be fine with a good flash and a few fast primes.