Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #1

Shutter Release Cable!!

I have been reading a whole lot about the shutter release cable for my Pentax K50.
But there are so many different prices, though on the photo they look almost the same.
I would go to the cheapest one but don't want to end up buying another one.

Is there any anyone that can indicate me a good one, I would appreciate it.

Nowadays it is so difficult to buy something errrr

^^

02-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have a basic Canon model, which works great on Pentax. It has a locking button for bulb exposures. It was under $20, as I recall. My two cents.

Checked the model number. RS-60E3. Currently $22. Works for me.

Last edited by filoxophy; 02-17-2014 at 01:43 PM.
02-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
I guess there is no difference then.
02-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Little difference in functionality. Anything for Pentax or Canon should work. Nikon is different I think. Difference in quality can be possible though, wire size, flex guards, etc. If you pay too little the wire might be too thin and break if bent much.

I have both a Pentax brand and a Vivitar. I think the Vivitar is better made, but no idea how old it is. Just suggest you don't buy the cheapest one.

02-17-2014, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #5
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are different Canon cable remotes

I also use the Canon model (RS-60E3) identified by filoxophy and it is the type you want if you intend to go with a Canon remote, as Canon use two types of connectors. The connector used by Pentax is the same as that used in only some of the Canon cameras (sub-mini), as a different connector (3 pin) is used for the professional/more expensive cameras.

I ended up with this remote as when I was looking at picking up the Pentax remote a Camera store salesman told me about the matching connector on the above Canon model. In Australia at the time the Pentax version would have cost me nearly twice as much, so I went with the Canon RS-60E3. There are other options, but this is small, has the locking button and I've never had a problem with it. I've considered some third party options (like the Vello Shutterboss v2) that have timers etc, but I don't currently need a more complex remote. Plus the smaller remote fits nicely in a pocket.

I also have one of the Pentax IR remotes (Remote control F) but only use it rarely as my preference is to use the cable remote. Hope this helps.

regards

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 02-17-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: typo
02-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #6
Forum Member

Well, many people suggest not to buy cheapest one, but what i can say from my own experience is that my 4£ cable works perfectly. I always just dump it in my bag and ain't really afraid of breaking it. Of course it is not weather sealed, but then if you use it for long exposures i don't think you'd want to leave your camera under rain for minutes on tripod at a time.
P.S
One bad thing i can think of is quality control on these cheap products, but then again i had bad copies of expensive and known brands.
02-17-2014, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just make sure it has a 2.5mm plug on it.

02-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
Wow, nice one, thank you everyone. Much appreciated. =)
02-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by kAmIkAsE Quote
I have been reading a whole lot about the shutter release cable for my Pentax K50.
But there are so many different prices, though on the photo they look almost the same.
I would go to the cheapest one but don't want to end up buying another one.

Is there any anyone that can indicate me a good one, I would appreciate it.

Nowadays it is so difficult to buy something errrr

^^
I bought the SMDV cable offered by Amazon.com. The cost ($16) is quite reasonable, the cable is much longer than the Pentax original, and it also can lock for those long exposures. Worked quite well on my K-50. There are several of these of a similar appearance, so feel free to pick a favorite.