Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

Another upgrade thread, from K-x to K30.

Hello guys.

I am using K-x since 2010. And I wont sell it, it will be my backup body/gfs camera for traveling (i got her into photography and now she hates me because i ruined her prozooms, phone and PS cameras with K-x IQ)

I heard K-30 also has some BF/FF issues. Is that true? Sometime, mostly in low light taking photos with K-x was pain in the ass.

And one more thing, with my old MF lens, is possible to get focus confirmation with red dots in viewfinder? K-x has no red dots, and I can wait to see them lol.

Thank you all.

Greetings from Croatia, and I am sorry if i spell something wrong

02-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will have focus peaking with the K-30, a supercharged focusing method for your MF lenses at least in live-view mode.
I haven't owned one so cannot say more; I was sorely tempted until the K-5ii went on sale and messed up my bank accounts
02-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #3

Regards from Zagreb, no-no-no, Pentax K30 has no problems with the BF / FF issues such as Kr or K5, K30 for amateur photography has total focus and better than Kx-r-5-5ll it has capabilities that no fokusairanja none of the aforementioned, K30 has the best focus after K3, K30 has direct access to the selection of the focus point on the body of the camera-focus point you pick it lights up when in focus. also when you engage yourself an expanded focus on the viewfinder and see how the point of focus is walking around the center (it's one of the great advances in af with Pentax's), enjoy the new arrival!
02-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There aren't any QC issues with the k30 as far as I'm aware. It'll be a very nice upgrade over your kx, and yes you do get dots in the viewfinder.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My daughter has a K30 and loves it. It is a very, very nice camera. Although my wife likes her KX, after having used both I would go with the K30 without any question.
02-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I had K-x for about 2 years and K30 for more than 1 years.

K30 is for sure a nice upgrade to Kx in terms of AF speed, viewfinder, ISO, controls, and more.
02-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I felt K-30 was a huge upgrade over K-x. K-x images seemed a bit dull for some reason. Also I had FF/BF focus issue with my kit-lens on K-x, I never bothered to use the debug menu to adjust it. No such problem on K-30.
02-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I loved my K-x, but you can only do a global front/back focus adjust. I.e., one adjustment for all your lenses, so I only did the microadjust for my most used lens. (And you have to get a debug script to do any microadjust at all on the K-x.)
In addition to WR and better picture quality, the K-30 can have microadjustments for 20 different lenses.

02-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
icy

FYI: My K30 is really cool, has no focus problem. But... my friend's one has, unfortunately He bought K30 from the Pentax's official partner in Vietnam (the unique partner here). For most lenses he has to tune AF adjustment. The last time he has to use +3 for a Tamron 90mm lens . (This lens works perfectly on my K30. ) The good news is that if you have a digital lens, K30 will remember the AF tuning settings (up to 20 lenses). For MF lens, you know, that's too annoyed. So, please check the camera and lenses combination, and ask the seller to change K30 if yours has problem. Good luck to your buy!
03-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by SMeK Quote
Hello guys.

I am using K-x since 2010. And I wont sell it, it will be my backup body/gfs camera for traveling (i got her into photography and now she hates me because i ruined her prozooms, phone and PS cameras with K-x IQ)

I heard K-30 also has some BF/FF issues. Is that true? Sometime, mostly in low light taking photos with K-x was pain in the ass.

And one more thing, with my old MF lens, is possible to get focus confirmation with red dots in viewfinder? K-x has no red dots, and I can wait to see them lol.

Thank you all.

Greetings from Croatia, and I am sorry if i spell something wrong
SMeK, I would recommend you to take a look at the k-50 instead, I've been reading about some issues with the K-30, issues like problems with exposure, the pop-up flash...
my 2 months old K-30 is currently on repair, I comprehend things fail but despite I like the K-30, I've been thinking that QC might be lacking on this camera, a camera that was supposed to be tough and reliable. My 2cents

Last edited by Lokusart; 03-05-2014 at 08:31 AM.
03-06-2014, 06:44 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have 2 K30s and have not seen the issues that were described here
03-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #12

There are NO known QC ISSUEs with the K30.

Drop your camera and it breaks has nothing to do with QC it has do do with operator head-space and timing.

As far as FF & BF I've only experienced that on my Tamron 90mm Macro lens, it was corrected with a +2 adjustment in camera AF tune adjustment.
All other lenses are fine.
03-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
There are NO known QC ISSUEs with the K30.

Drop your camera and it breaks has nothing to do with QC it has do do with operator head-space and timing.

As far as FF & BF I've only experienced that on my Tamron 90mm Macro lens, it was corrected with a +2 adjustment in camera AF tune adjustment.
All other lenses are fine.
no cameras were dropped here, there are in fact some issues