Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #1

Panorama

Hey I am new to the forum and have a question about shooting panorama with a K- 50 . . . anyone doing this and if so how? If this already exists on another thread please point me that way . . .
Thanks!

02-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/78...light=panorama
02-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #3

Is there anyway to do it (hack or feature) in camera?

PP is OK, but I have had a need to show off some panos on my Ipad right away.
02-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Afternoon and Welcome to the Forum!

The K50 is a perfect camera to take panoramas with. There are not really any special modes or hacks necessary, although some approaches will work better than others.

Basically 2 steps:
  • Take the pictures - You can go, right now and take two pictures with about 25% overlap - to start the process off.
  • Stitch the pictures - Then take the images (jpgs or raw converted to tiff), down load Microsoft ICE, drag the images into ICE and it will stitch them together and provide you with the result.
Some techniques will help create a better results than others. Some techniques that may help....
  • The focus, white balance, aperture and exposure should be constant from frame to frame. This will help maintain a consistent look and not make it appear that two images were stitched together. Now, I have shot a lot of panos in fully automatic (maintained focus) and the stitching program blended them very well.
  • You should try to keep the camera level as you shoot the individual frames, otherwise they are walking either up hill or down hiill and you will loose a lot of the scene to cropping the result into a rectangle. Tripods help a lot, but you can shoot handheld. On the topic of tripods, some heads work better than others. For now, I'll just leave it at that.
  • When you take a series of frames to be stitched together, you should rotate reasonably carefully around a "nodal" point. There is tons of websites and videos on the topic. You need to get the basics down first, make a few mistakes so that you can better understand the whole process.
  • You can shoot horizontal and vertical panos, or a combination - something like a 3 x 3.
  • You can shoot a pano with really any lens, wide angle, normal, telephoto, fisheye - whatever.
That is somewhat of a broad brush overview. Lots of material on all of this on the web.Panoguy will be along shortly.....

02-23-2014, 01:45 AM   #5
Aux

2D panoramas can also be stitched using Photoshop by using photo merge function.
02-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I don't believe there is a feature like that as is found on smartphones and point and shoot cameras. As you can see by the previous answers, panoramic images are created in Post Processing. Follow the previous posters advice and shoot in totally manual mode to keep all the same settings with each frame you shoot. Here is a pano of the Sault Ste. Marie Locks I took a while back

Michigan and Great Lakes Lighthouses - massartimages' Photos

Carl
massartimages' Photos
01-30-2015, 01:01 AM   #7

Loved the panorama feature on my previous pentax, struggling with this one that requires computer to put picks together.

01-30-2015, 01:52 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Here's one I took of the Sedona valley with my K-50 camera, Sorry that you don't have a Panorama mode but then again you don't have a point and shoot camera. I use a program called Arcsoft Panorama Maker v6.0 and it's so easy.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
01-31-2015, 12:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I shoot tons of panos with a K30. use Microsoft Ice (free download) and use a monopod under the nodal point of the lens. try and rotate around the nodal point and keep it a steady overlap about 30%. Unless you get real serious it works just fine for simple stiches as above.
here it is http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/ice/

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-31-2015 at 01:15 AM.
01-31-2015, 07:10 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lomdun Quote
Loved the panorama feature on my previous pentax, struggling with this one that requires computer to put picks together.
In many ways a dSLR has less automation and requires a bit more manual effort than a point and shoot. This is to provide additional control to the photographer - so as use additional capabilities and not constrain them.