Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
One thing I forgot to mention that helped me a lot, is to focus in front of and behind the subject a couple of times, you'll get to know how it looks when it comes into focus. Faster focusing lenses give me more trouble than slower ones. Too easy to pass it up...
Agreed!

03-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks guyz. At this point, my main concern is to improve the AF on the dim light conditions. So will 50 f1.4 lens will solve that issue?
03-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A 2.8 lens should do.... no need to go all the way to 1.4 which is 2 stops faster than probably needed. Something like the 35 2.4 or Tamron 17-50 2.8 should do just fine.

If you do plan to manual focus... an old A or A* lens is what you should look for. Lenses that are designed to focus manually, are easier to focus manually. You just have to learn to live with the Chromatic Aberrations and purple fringing those lenses may exhibit. My A-400 is much easier to manual focus than my DA* 60-250. Slower, but more accurate, and easier to extrapolate exactly where your DoF is falling in the frame.
03-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

In dim lighting conditions no matter what lens you use it will be tough. Any 50mm should do fine, but hte 1.4 to 1.7 range is usually considered the best of the 50mm offerings. I have both and love them. If you find a good deal on one of those, grab it. All of mine came on 35mm cameras I picked up for very good prices at pawn shops and yard sales. I have about 6 I think...from f1.4 to f2. The f1.4 and f1.7 are my favorites.

Practice in decent lighting, you have to know how to use manual focus before you can do a lot of good with it in tough conditions. Practice some in low light of course, but really get to know it in good light. Most of my practice on my early days was with wildflowers. They don't move around much and you can find them just about everywhere, even a few in winter around here. But remember the more it moves the harder it is to capture, so pick fairly stationary subjects for practice until you get good at it. Again, try moving subjects and low light a little now and then, but concentrate on good light and stationary to get the hang of it.

03-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #20

Original Poster
Thats a great idea. But I was in a perception that manual focus is hard or not possible with the AF lenses. You specifically need manual lens for the same. So Pentax f1.4 50mm AF lens would be good for manual focus as well?
03-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaikumarr18 Quote
Thats a great idea. But I was in a perception that manual focus is hard or not possible with the AF lenses. You specifically need manual lens for the same. So Pentax f1.4 50mm AF lens would be good for manual focus as well?
It depends on the lens design. Some lenses are optimized for AF and have small focus rings with poor damping, so they don't feel very good when you try to auto-focus with them. My F 70-210 zoom is like that, as was my first 18-55 kit lens. My WR kit lens is a bit better. You can focus manually with these lenses, it just isn't as 'nice' as it was with the old manual focus lenses. Note that older Pentax auto-focus lenses ( and newer DA L series lenses ) don't have the 'quick shift' feature, so you have to turn off auto-focus on the DSLR body to use manual focus when using these lenses.

By contrast, my 100mm DFA WR macro is an auto-focus lens that is very nice for manual focusing - it feels very like an old manual focus lens. I don't own any, but from what I've read, all the Limited lenses are also built to work well both for AF and MF.
03-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #22
Pentaxian

The only auto focus lens I've used is the kit lens, 18-55, but I found the focusing ring too fast, it was easy to pass up the focus. I p[refer a little slower focusing ring for manual. My Vivitar 200mm is a very slow focusing lens, that can be a hindrance sometimes, but I'm accustomed to it so it's not usually a big problem. I normally know if I'll need it focused close or long distance, so I keep it fairly close and it doesn't take long. THe faster focusing kit lens was pretty difficult to use in manual focus mode, and due to the fast focusing was hard to really zero in on precise focus.

I don't know anything about the lens you're asking about, if I want one for manual focus I'll go for an older manual 50mm f1.4 or f1.7 every time. Those are fabulous, I use them regularly. Very good focusing speed, and great for getting accurate focus. They are also quite sharp.
05-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #23

Original Poster
Thanks arkav and Paleo. Apolgies for the delay in responding to this thread. I bought a Pentax DA 50F1.8 lens and I believe that would provide better sharpness. Not sure about the manual focussing though since I have not tried on it yet.