Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 08:55 AM   #1

Lens Correction: On or Off?

Good afternoon all.

I have a K-30 that I'm getting used to. I can see in the menu that there is an option to switch 'on' both Distortion Correction and Lat-Chromatic-Ab Adj.

Now I know what the former is, and have no real idea on the latter. So welcome a comment on that. But also welcome views as to whether these corrections should be switched to 'on' or 'off'. What are the advantages and disadvantages?

thanks,

03-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I leave those off, myself. Some have noticed a performance hit by having these corrections executed in camera. All my photos are shot raw and run through Lightroom, so if I feel I need corrections that's when I do it. This flow may not apply to jpeg shooters. Oh, the latter is Lateral Chromatic Aberrations, those colored edges that can appear at high contrast borders.
03-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
I leave those off, myself. Some have noticed a performance hit by having these corrections executed in camera. All my photos are shot raw and run through Lightroom, so if I feel I need corrections that's when I do it. This flow may not apply to jpeg shooters. Oh, the latter is Lateral Chromatic Aberrations, those colored edges that can appear at high contrast borders.
Ah, so that's what it means! thanks. I try to shoot RAW whenever I can, but I guess that means I will need to use the correction everytime when editing if I don't use it in camera. I've tried a couple of shots, but really didn't notice much difference (either in quality or distortion).
03-01-2014, 09:24 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

For most Pentax lenses, automatic lens correction are pre-programmed. For example, on a 18-135mm zoom lens you will see various level of distortion at different zooms. at 18mm object in the center of the picture will appear closer than objects on the sides (convexe, looking inflated), even if they're at the same distance, it's called barrel distortion and at 135mm it's the opposite, the distortion will be more concave (pincushion distortion).

This can easily be corrected after the fact with your favorite picture editor (most of them anyways). This will give you more control of how much correction you can apply. But it is one more step in your routine.

I personally don't use either corrections since most of my lenses are Sigmas and the option only work on Pentax lenses. There are a few pros and cons of using it or not:

Pros:
- If shooting JPG, using a Pentax lens, your images straight out of the camera will be rectilinear and geometrically correct (to a certain extent)
- Same for the CA correction, shoot download and you're done.

Cons:
- Only works with Pentax lenses (most if not all lenses with a D in the name, DAL, DA, DA*, DFA... and maybe some FA too)
- It takes quite a bit longer to "save" the picture to the SD card when in JPG (corrections are not applied to RAW files I believe), it will also take longer before you can review them on the LCD
- Even if those two settings are programmed by Pentax, who should know very well how their lenses react to CA and distortion, correcting the pictures after the fact *might* yield better results, it gives you more control anyway.

If your lenses have no or very little distortion (good quality primes) don't bother with Distortion Correction, it will slow down your camera for no reason. The same is true for CA correction, if your lens is not prone to CA or if you're not shooting high contrast subjects, don't correct for it.

03-01-2014, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
I believe the corrections only apply to JPEG images, not RAW. If you only shoot in RAW, you might as well leave them off as they won't do anything, anyway.
03-01-2014, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I believe the corrections only apply to JPEG images, not RAW. If you only shoot in RAW, you might as well leave them off as they won't do anything, anyway.
Yes, they are greyed out in raw mode.
03-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

As most of us are painfully aware, the battery systems on these units are one of the few weaknesses. It is my understanding that the extra processing required for in-camera corrections not only slows performance but also places a measurable added drain on the battery. Another notable "con" - especially in heavy use shooting conditions.
03-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
As most of us are painfully aware, the battery systems on these units are one of the few weaknesses. It is my understanding that the extra processing required for in-camera corrections not only slows performance but also places a measurable added drain on the battery. Another notable "con" - especially in heavy use shooting conditions.
that's really helpful, thank you. Hadn't realised it would take so much power. Given I've got Elements 12, I hope I can find the right way to correct anything post-download.

03-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kentishrev Quote
that's really helpful, thank you. Hadn't realised it would take so much power. Given I've got Elements 12, I hope I can find the right way to correct anything post-download.
To me, I would only use in camera corrections if (a) you are shooting jpegs and (b) if you are shooting a zoom that has weak areas. A zoom like the 18-135 really does benefit from the corrections, but about any prime lens will not see much difference at all and isn't worth the effort.

As far as I know, there is no way to do lens profiles in Elements 12, but Lightroom is cheap enough now, that it may be worth the investment...
03-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Another con is that the distortion correction will crop the photo slightly. Combined with the 100% viewfinders that all Pentax DSLR's now have, you may see more than you get when you activate distortion correction.

I leave this off, but I do appreciate the ability to do it in post. I have noticed however that sometimes I like the uncorrected image better.
03-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As far as I know, there is no way to do lens profiles in Elements 12, but Lightroom is cheap enough now, that it may be worth the investment...
ah, there's the rub. Still, mostly using my 50mm f1.8 and my new 20-40mm Ltd. So, fingers crossed, I won't really need much here. I certainly did see a lot of distortion with my 18-55 kit though.
03-05-2014, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #12

I use to have it always on, but that's because I don't like to correct things in PP and because I'm more of a slow shooter
02-20-2015, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #13

I noticed that in low light in jpegs lens correction causes weird artifacts, like white snow dots. These artifacts were really getting me angry and I didn't realize that these appear because of correction. This is observable on firmware version 1.06 . I am really happy that I found the root cause of this issue that been driving me nuts.
So in my case. Lens correction OFF FOREVER!!!

Last edited by ongaku; 02-20-2015 at 02:54 PM.