Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Another firmware question.....sigh. With pic.

I had a thread on this subject a couple months ago, and I STILL can't figure out how to update the firmware on my K-30. Am at the point I just want to throw the camera into the wall and unbox my K100D, which was easier to work and took better pictures. :/

Anyway, here's the pic of what I put on my formatted SD card. I read that i have to "extract" or put this "into the root file" of the SD card. I don't understand that.

03-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would you be opposed to letting me remote into your PC and help?
03-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
I had a thread on this subject a couple months ago, and I STILL can't figure out how to update the firmware on my K-30. Am at the point I just want to throw the camera into the wall and unbox my K100D, which was easier to work and took better pictures. :/

Anyway, here's the pic of what I put on my formatted SD card. I read that i have to "extract" or put this "into the root file" of the SD card. I don't understand that.
If that's the EXE file, double click on it, run it, and it will prompt you for a folder to which the firmware file will be extracted.

Once it's done extracting the firmware file (it will have a .BIN extension), locate it in that same folder, copy it to the SD card, making sure it isn't placed in any sub folder.

Then you should be able to install the firmware in the camera.

This might prove helpful; be sure to watch the whole video:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-firmware-update-guide.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Would you be opposed to letting me remote into your PC and help?
Dude, I'm a cargo pilot, not a wizard!!!!! Like I would know how to do that. lol

I just find this firmware thing frustrating and miss my K100D sometimes. I think all the whistles and bells are for other people, not me. Guess that's why I liked the K100D so much.......didn't have all the options.

---------- Post added 03-05-2014 at 07:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If that's the EXE file, double click on it, run it, and it will prompt you for a folder to which the firmware file will be extracted.

Once it's done extracting the firmware file (it will have a .BIN extension), locate it in that same folder, copy it to the SD card, making sure it isn't placed in any sub folder.

Then you should be able to install the firmware in the camera.

This might prove helpful; be sure to watch the whole video:
Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Pentax Tutorial Videos - PentaxForums.com
I'll go watch the video tomorrow. Gotta get back in the air.

Thank you.

03-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Actually remoting in is very easy and I would be happy to help if you need it. I am an IT guy by trade.
03-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ohhhhh.............do I have to have Winzip on my computer to make this work?

I'm on an old laptop running Vista.

:/
03-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

ohhhhh.............do I have to have Winzip on my computer to make this work?

I'm on an old laptop running Vista.

:/
Just try to follow what I wrote in my post and you should be fine. If that's an EXE file you downloaded, which it looks like it is, you don't need winzip. (you wouldn't need it anyway because unzipping is built in to windows these days)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

it is built in, plus it should be a self extract zip file, all you should have to do is double click it then tell it to extract to the drive letter that corresponds with your SD card.
03-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #9

it simpler than it sounds

-format the card on camera
-insert the card on the PC
-copy the EXE file to the card
-Double click on the file, a window will open, and select (OK i think) to extract the file to the card (normally the root of the card will be selected by default)
-Select safe drive removal on your pc before taking the card out
-insert the card in the camera (which should be turned off)
-Power ON the camera and search on the menu the firmware option
-Select for update and leave it alone until it finishes
-Enjoy the better performance of your camera!

Note: make sure your battery is fully charged
03-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #10

Actually download and install the latest FW update V 1.06

Check out this post:
03-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #11

Dude, I'm a cargo pilot, not a wizard!!!!! Like I would know how to do that. lol

I just find this firmware thing frustrating and miss my K100D sometimes. I think all the whistles and bells are for other people, not me. Guess that's why I liked the K100D so much.......didn't have all the options.

---------- Post added 03-05-2014 at 07:57 PM ----------

I'll go watch the video tomorrow. Gotta get back in the air.

Thank you.
Can you parachute in a batch of the new Pentax lenses to my backyard? I will do you firmware for free and even wash your car.
03-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, I am such a tard'. Finally got home, fired up my other computer which has Windows 7 on it (my other 2 stallions run Vista yet) and within a couple minutes, had my software uncompressed and loaded onto my camera. Done.

For some reason, I couldn't make any headway with my Vista machines, but the Windows 7 machine brought out the "bin" software you guys were talking about. Copied it onto my SD card, loaded into onto my camera, then that was that.

Sorry about all the drama, and thank you for the help. Feeling better about the camera now. Still feel my K100D pics were better and easier to obtain than my K-30, but maybe with the new software (was running the orignal software) and messing with it more, i can improve my pics.

Thanks again!!!
03-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #13

Wow, I am such a tard'. Finally got home, fired up my other computer which has Windows 7 on it (my other 2 stallions run Vista yet) and within a couple minutes, had my software uncompressed and loaded onto my camera. Done.

For some reason, I couldn't make any headway with my Vista machines, but the Windows 7 machine brought out the "bin" software you guys were talking about. Copied it onto my SD card, loaded into onto my camera, then that was that.

Sorry about all the drama, and thank you for the help. Feeling better about the camera now. Still feel my K100D pics were better and easier to obtain than my K-30, but maybe with the new software (was running the orignal software) and messing with it more, i can improve my pics.

Thanks again!!!
Win7 good

Windows Vista (or Virus would be more accurate) probably caused half of your problems. Virus only worked right if you had a desktop PC, never turned it off and never connected anything to it. Have a laptop with a docking station?? It worked great as long as you like your laptop going into sleep mode and not waking up. DOH!!!!!!!!!!