Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #1

My new pentax k-50 arrived!

All I can say is that it is amazing. Stepping up from point and shoot to this camera is amazing.

The camera is really solid. I never appreciated how heavy it is...

While there is so much to learn, the automatic settings and the pre set scene modes are great. Very simple to use at first. I have never used an DSLR or ILC before!!

The 18-135 lens is amazing. Really quiet and simple.
The 50/1.8 I bought is amazing though it focuses with more noise - now I understand the comment of how this lens will take portraits that will just impress the friends and neighbors :-)

A few things I didn't realize before i bought it -

The flash doesn't fire automatically unless you manually have it raised first. Apparently other brands have pop up flashes that do just that - they pop up when needed. On the k-50 you need to actively select to have the flash up if you want it to work - even in automatic flash mode. The truth is the camera and lenses have been taking such great indoor photos that I think that around 90% of the time I am not using a flash where I would have done so in the past on a point and shoot.

The camera has a feature that lets you select individual photos for eye fi transfer. As opposed to the transfer always being on for all photos on the card - as is the case in many cameras when using eye fi. So I think I am going to get one of those cards.

Tomorrow I am going into Jerusalem. I think I will take the camera with me and see if there is anything interesting to snap and share.

03-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TzalamChadash Quote
Apparently other brands have pop up flashes that do just that - they pop up when needed
Many would consider this a terrible thing. If my flash popped up when my camera thought I needed it and ruined what I was trying to do I would be livid, and find a way to disable the function. When looking in the viewfinder just watch your shutter speed if it seems low for what you are doing tap the button an off you go.

Congrats on the new purchase, I doubt you will look at point and shoot cameras the same now!
03-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations and you picked some great lenses. You will be very happy that the flash doesn't pop up automatically, that would certainly be a very negative feature if it did.
03-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
Indeed - it is a whole new world of experience.
That being said I can still see the point of a small but serious carry around or travel camera - one with a larger sensor and decent lens. And quiet.

Last edited by TzalamChadash; 03-06-2014 at 05:22 PM.
03-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #5

You've got a nice combo there, enjoy!
03-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Many would consider this a terrible thing. If my flash popped up when my camera thought I needed it and ruined what I was trying to do I would be livid, and find a way to disable the function.
My K100D can pop it up automatically, but only in green mode. They have changed the button to a mechanical one in later bodies, no way to control it electronically. Pop up flashes are mostly useless anyway, I wouldn't mind if they left it off entirely on the high end bodies.
03-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the purchase- you'll love the camera!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I doubt you don't find something interesting to photograph in Jerusalem......please post on this forum !
03-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
My K100D can pop it up automatically, but only in green mode. They have changed the button to a mechanical one in later bodies, no way to control it electronically. Pop up flashes are mostly useless anyway, I wouldn't mind if they left it off entirely on the high end bodies.
I'm open to hearing suggestions for a hot shoe flash for this camera....

---------- Post added 03-06-14 at 11:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Congrats on the purchase- you'll love the camera!
Thanks.
The forum has been a tremendous resource!

I can see a faster and smaller walk around lens one day in the future. As well as a longer telephoto.

Maybe DA*16-50 or the 20-40.
One day...
03-07-2014, 03:13 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ybo1 Quote
I doubt you don't find something interesting to photograph in Jerusalem......please post on this forum !
So my wife has realized that after my spending the last few months doing more research into a new camera than I ever did into say...a new car...or my wife...and that it is inevitable that she will spend the next few looking at me down the barrel of a telephoto lens. So we agreed that I would do the weekend preparations in the morning and then we'd go with family to Jerusalem zoo as we are having great outdoor weather.
I see some wildlife photos coming....
03-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

If you are considering the DA*16-50 I would suggest taking a look at the Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro HSM (Contemporary). It is a sharp, fast focusing with HSM, quiet, versatile lens
03-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you want WR but a shorter lens you can consider the DA*16-50/2.8
03-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Many would consider this a terrible thing. If my flash popped up when my camera thought I needed it and ruined what I was trying to do I would be livid, and find a way to disable the function. When looking in the viewfinder just watch your shutter speed if it seems low for what you are doing tap the button an off you go.

Congrats on the new purchase, I doubt you will look at point and shoot cameras the same now!
I agree as I Do NOT want my flash popping up when the camera thinks it needs it. That is a point and shoot function that was carried over to DSLR for "lazy" people IMHO. If I wanted a smart camera that did everything for me, I'd buy one.
03-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Congratulations on the new camera. I bet you will enjoy it tremendously.

Maybe DA*16-50 or the 20-40. One day...
My advice - actively set a target date for that acquisition and then pursue it. I started with my DSLR journey in early 2009 and my "one day" for the 16-50 is still out there.

There is one more acronym that you may need - LBA. You are likely to be affected (or maybe "infected") by LBA.

I'm open to hearing suggestions for a hot shoe flash for this camera....
I have the Sigma 610 Super and it seems good, versatile, and relatively cheap, but I have little to compare it to. If I were buying now I would be tempted to look strongly at the Pentax 360 II. The updated version has a swivel head, if I recall correctly, that the version I does not have.

Have fun!
06-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #15

Just bought one also...haven't taken it out of the box yet! Working too darn much! I got the package with the 18-55 and the 50-200, and for a hundred bucks more I got the 50mm 1.8! It came out to about a hundred bucks per lens! How could I pass that up?! Now I'm trying to figure out what filters I need, if any...I want to protect my lenses, but don't know what to do? I do remember from years ago when I knew what I was doing that a polarizer was a must-have, but I can't afford the top-of-the-line ones after shelling out for the camera? Confused? Oh, and I also want a case or bag for that stuff...any suggestions??? Thanks, KennyD