Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #1

Is the K30 a reliable camera?

The K-30 seems to be right around the sweet spot price wise to upgrade from my Kr.

I'm having some glitches in my Kr and would rather upgrade to a more stable system... I know the k30 may be prone to some flash issues. Is there anything else I should know about the K-30's stability before considered buying one?

03-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure that the flash issues have anything to do with stability, as such. It seems that the protocol was changed somewhat to improve pTTL flash accuracy, and some flashes did not integrate with that change and needed a firmware update.

The camera can freeze on occasion, as many have reported. Typically, removing the battery and reinserting is - at most - all you need to do. I know that people who forget to turn off the camera before switching lenses tend to run into freeze ups. In this regard, the K-30 is pretty typical.

In terms of overall integrity and major issues requiring actual servicing, the camera seems to be better than average overall. Perhaps not in the same league for stability as a K20D (my previous dSLR), but that camera was viewed as amazingly solid. Possibly the larger body allowed for greater overall durability and wider tolerances.
03-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There has been only a very limited number of issues reported at PF for the K-30, compared to other dSLR (eg K-5, K-x). This is a good hint that the K-30 is indeed a reliable camera.
03-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the K-30 and it's a solid performer.The only time I've ever had a "freeze up" is when using the AA battery adapter, none when using the regular battery or clone. That is not problem enough that I would quit using AA batteries, I rotate between AA, the Pentax original, and a Pearstone clone.

03-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I upgraded from a K-x and have had a few issues with freeze ups, they were memorable for bewildering me as to why the shutter wasn't firing, but it was not the end of the world. My shutter count is at almost 9000 and my freeze up count is probably at 3. With the K-x, I think I got to almost 15,000 pictures and never experienced a freeze up, so yes compared to the K-x the K-30 is less stable but in the context of all technological products I have worked with it is not too bad.
03-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got my K-30 new in June 2013 and the shutter count is up to ~12k. It has seen some gentle abuse. The red color of the body is fading around the wheels.

I have had the camera freeze maybe 3-4 times early on with the older firmware. It's been so long since it has frozen that I can't even remember when it was except that I know it happened. Maybe the "general improvements in stability" listed in the firmware revision text on Ricoh's site refers to eliminating the freezes.

My freezes happened when using the internal flash. I also noticed that the battery readings would drop to almost zero just before the freeze. Removing the battery and reinserting (i.e. a hard restart) got me up and running and the battery would report full power.

I think a K-30 with the latest FW is a pretty stable platform. It's been around for a while so I think Ricoh has had time to work out any bugs.
03-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The one and only bugaboo with the K-30 is that it won't green-button meter with old Takumars. Av works fine, so not a huge issue. Green button works fine with K/M/A though.

My freeze count is probably 5 or so. I'm near 10000 clicks.

K-30 was a massive upgrade for me. The 2 control dials, TAv, fast live view, forums peaking and WR all are great. High ISO IQ is better, too.

03-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Don't think I ever experienced a freeze up on mine. But the buttons on the back play up a little for me. Especially the menu button is extra touchy and doesn't seem to have the throw or movement you expect from that style of button. I would have done something about it but I bought it on eBay as a grey import so no local warranty and it didn't affect me enough to warrant the cost of fixing it. It is now a backup body anyway.
03-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
The one and only bugaboo with the K-30 is that it won't green-button meter with old Takumars. Av works fine, so not a huge issue. Green button works fine with K/M/A though.

My freeze count is probably 5 or so. I'm near 10000 clicks.

K-30 was a massive upgrade for me. The 2 control dials, TAv, fast live view, forums peaking and WR all are great. High ISO IQ is better, too.

I have been able to use the green-button meter with older manual lenses like the Taks but only in Live View. Otherwise, like you said, Av mode with some exposure compensation works great!
03-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by dmbaile2 Quote
The K-30 seems to be right around the sweet spot price wise to upgrade from my Kr.

I'm having some glitches in my Kr and would rather upgrade to a more stable system... I know the k30 may be prone to some flash issues. Is there anything else I should know about the K-30's stability before considered buying one?

Honestly I have to say No. My only 2 months old K-30 is currently on service, the problem is probably the well-known aperture motor issue, besides that the K-30 has freeze to me a couple of times, on one of those occasions I had to take the battery out to turn it off. So my verdict is that the K-30 is a nice camera until it stops working

note: the freeze happened with the latest firmware (1.05)

Last edited by Lokusart; 03-10-2014 at 12:25 PM.
03-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #11

Original Poster
That sucks that you are having trouble with yours. Can you point me to more info about the problem. I couldn't find anything in the search.

Freeze ups get me on the kr from time to time but it's not that big of a deal to me.
03-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by dmbaile2 Quote
That sucks that you are having trouble with yours. Can you point me to more info about the problem. I couldn't find anything in the search.

Freeze ups get me on the kr from time to time but it's not that big of a deal to me.
maybe it's more about the problems and not just the problem. Try searching in the forum for K-30 exposure issues, I remember finding some posts. I haven't shoot in the rain with the K-30 yet, and I'm starting to thing that could be a bad idea
03-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lokusart Quote
Honestly I have to say No. My only 2 months old K-30 is currently on service, the problem is probably the well-known aperture motor issue, besides that the K-30 has freeze to me a couple of times, on one of those occasions I had to take the battery out to turn it off. So my verdict is that the K-30 is a nice camera until it stops working

note: the freeze happened with the latest firmware (1.05)
That's not the latest firmware.
03-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #14
Inactive Account

For the intent of this thread, it is recent enough. Saying that no one has experienced a freeze up this weekend (since 1.06 came out late last week) isn't saying much.
03-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
That's not the latest firmware.
oh really? maybe that was the latest firmware when I had the freeze, don't you think?