Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #1

Silly newbie Question

Really silly question for ye all - I have an irritating what looks like a speck of dust on my pictures at the moment. It isn't on the lens and I cant see anything on the mirror. Now I know that with the original SLR's, when the mirror went up, the film was exposed to the light. My question is where is the light captured now and how do I get rid of this blasted speck of dust?

Thanking you in advance,

Mark

03-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Its sitting on your sensor (behind the mirror). You need to enable the cleaning mode which lifts the mirror up and blow the dust off using a rocket blower. Don't use compressed air as it also shoots liquid and can cause you further headaches
03-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Don't use compressed air as it also shoots liquid and can cause you further headaches
Sound advice. If a rocket blower can't get rid of the piece of dust, don't be tempted of sticking anything on your sensor. It is extremely sensitive and you will more than likely make matters worse. There are some "Sensor Swab" thingy you can use to clean it but it is a good challenge to do it properly.
03-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Look in your manual under sensor cleaning and /or Dust Removal. It outlines the procedure for Dust Alert and for removing dust with a blower. You may also be able to remove the offending speck using the in-camera Dust Removal function--it literally shakes it off the sensor.

Last edited by sundr; 03-10-2014 at 09:44 AM.
03-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Dust Spots?

Hello Mark, welcome to the Forum!
You've been introduced to the dreaded 'sensor dust' problem, a common occurance with digital cameras.
Here's a link explaining exactly how to spot the dust position (mirror, screen, lens, sensor) and what to do when you find it.
Digital Camera Sensor Cleaning
The first few cleanings are a bit scary, but if you're careful, all will go well. For most spots, the 'dust removal' shake function and Rocket Blower will do the trick. I've had to resort to the sensor brush a few times and the swabs once on each body (so far). Even the swabs aren't too tricky, and that's pretty much it.
The biggest helpful tip is to not get dust into the mirrorbox in the first place. Sounds dumb, but it's true. Blast the back element and flange of each lens clean (Rocket Blower) before use, never leave the lens-mount open for longer than it takes to swap lenses. Keep all caps on tight.
Dust will still find a way in, but you can seriously reduce the opportunities.
Good Luck!
Ron
03-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for your help - will try this evening - Ta!