Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Using a Computer Monitor for Live View?

I know that you can buy field monitors to plug into your camera, but has anyone plugged their K-30 into a computer monitor (lcd) and gotten it to work? I was thinking about using it for studio type work. I have an older computer monitor that I'd like to use for this purpose.

If anyone has done this, can you please post your setup (cables, type of monitor, etc)? Thanks!

03-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have done it with my K-7 and K-3 and works very well especially for macro work. I used a HDMI cable to connect the camera to a 22” computer monitor and essentially view the rear camera LCD on the monitor.
Depending on your monitor connections you need the proper cables (e.g. standard HDMI, DVI, etc.). The cameras have mini or micro HDMI connections, so find the proper cable (e.g. mini to standard) and just plug it in.
03-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What demp10 said, I do the same. But I also have an HDMI "matrix" in between and a field monitor, which means I can see the PC output on the field monitor and camera on the PC and toggle either output (cam,pc) to either screen (monitor, field monitor) when I want. If you do this beware that field matrixes have maximum resolution they can output so for example when I output large resolution to both the monitor doesn't get a high res output. This might help explain why - Using A SmallHD Field Monitor For Macro Backgrounds And Precise Focus With Focus Peaking
03-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
The cameras have mini or micro HDMI connections
There are two problems doing this with a K-30. One, the AV output jack is mini-USB which also serves to connect to a computer to download images. Pentax has a special cable, I-AVC7, which provides a composite video connector and monaural sound output, or you could put an extra piece of hardware, such as a computer or the DP6 Monitor that Nass links to, between your camera and your monitor. Two, the only direct video output is in standard definition, so basically the same resolution as the LCD display on the back of the camera, just bigger. And to put icing on the cake, I haven't found tethering software that works reliably with the K-30.

03-20-2014, 02:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pk tether does it for me on the k-30 just google it
03-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
pk tether does it for me on the k-30
Funny, for me if I set my camera to mass storage mode, I can do everything with PK Tether for one shot, then everything locks up. In PTP mode, nothing happens.
03-21-2014, 01:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

check the save picture box ,see if that helps