Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How long does your battery last when not in use?

So, had this happen to me twice in about as many weeks.

I fully charged my battery on Saturday, and took a few dozen (3? Let's say 3 dozen) shots that day. After I was done I turned everything off and left it on the shelf until this morning, at which point the battery was completely drained.

I'm pretty certain that it used to hold a charge longer than this, but figured I'd check before I went and bought a new battery.

It's the original battery from my K-30 and is about 6 months old.

03-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter

That's not normal you should return it or send it in for repairs.
03-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
That's not normal you should return it or send it in for repairs.
I'm just not certain yet whether it's the battery not holding a charge, or the camera is, for some reason, keeping a slow drain on the battery even when switched off. (It definitely used to keep a charge longer, which is why I'm curious about the battery's expected life before it has to be replaced.)

I've got some fully charged Eneloops in the AA adapter at the moment, so I'm probably going to leave them in there for a few days without using the camera and see if they also wind up mysteriously drained.
03-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why don't you get a second 3rd party battery and see if it holds the charge in the camera. If not, it sounds like the camera is at fault. If it holds its charge, sounds like your battery is faulty.

03-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

By any chance are you leaving the SD card door open? I used to do that when I took out the card, so as to remember to put it in before using the camera.

For some reason leaving the door open drains the battery pretty quickly.
03-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
By any chance are you leaving the SD card door open? I used to do that when I took out the card, so as to remember to put it in before using the camera.

For some reason leaving the door open drains the battery pretty quickly.
Hmm... that got me thinking... and guessing.

I know you cannot turn the camera on with the SD card open. Maybe when you open the door the camera wakes up from a sleep mode and is constantly checking the status of the door. There must be some loop of code that starts running through the processor. Close the door and the camera goes back to sleep. It seems like an inefficient way of doing things but maybe optimizing this bit of code was so far down the priority list that the development team at Pentax never got to it?
03-13-2014, 05:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I know you cannot turn the camera on with the SD card open. Maybe when you open the door the camera wakes up from a sleep mode and is constantly checking the status of the door. There must be some loop of code that starts running through the processor. Close the door and the camera goes back to sleep. It seems like an inefficient way of doing things but maybe optimizing this bit of code was so far down the priority list that the development team at Pentax never got to it?
With your camera off, take the SD card out and put it back in. When you close the door, the "card access" light will flash briefly. I just did this with my K-30. I think the same thing happens with my K200D.
03-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Nope. I always remember to close my SD card slot when I'm not using it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Why don't you get a second 3rd party battery and see if it holds the charge in the camera. If not, it sounds like the camera is at fault. If it holds its charge, sounds like your battery is faulty.
That was what I was trying with the Eneloops. Just turned it on and they look to be still good, so it sounds like the battery is at fault. (And I'm going to guess the battery isn't covered under warranty. )

03-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Some memory cards I've found seem to put a tiny drain on the batteries. If you take your card out and it still does it then you know that's what's happening. The solution I've found is to leave the battery in but take out the memory card. My *ist you could not leave either one in. It would just drain in no time flat. So I used to just remove both when I was done and not put them back in until I was. That kept my batteries charged and ready for use.
03-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Within the time line mentioned by g026r, battery type shouldn't matter. But for longer term inactivity, either Lithium AAs or especially eneloop AAs will give you the longest life when the camera is not in use.
03-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #11

If you determine it is the battery dispose of it immediately... Li-Ion batteries are very dangerous when they malfunction - you should not be having any drainage when it is not in use... I would reverse the tests that you are doing, charge the battery, leave it out of the camera and then see if it drains while not in a camera at all. I will also add that I would not leave this battery on the charger unattended.
03-17-2014, 05:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
mine lasts quite a while, a few weeks, no problem with either eneloops or stock li-ion. I never seem to be able to leave it alone long enough to test longer then that though :-)
04-21-2014, 05:18 AM   #13
mjt

Has your camera been OK since concluding the battery was at fault?

I am having very similar problems with my K30 and am still trying to get to the bottom over whether it is the camera or battery that is at fault.
Thanks
04-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Speaking as a member whose camera sees a lot of idle time, The ship date for my K-30 was 7-26-2013. I fully charged the battery before turning the camera on the first time. I bought a spare battery at Amazon for back-up and fully charged it. I have not changed the battery or charged it since that first time. I used the camera this weekend for a few pics. I have taken no more than a few hundred pictures since purchase.

I just checked and it looks like the battery is almost empty for the first time.

I never use live view, seldom use flash or review images in camera and always remove the card to download images.

Now I guess I have to find the charger.
04-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #15
mjt

My issue seems to be very similar to that in the original post. From fully charged over 5 days I took <100 pics and then it is totally flat. On another occasion I even had to reset date and time on changing straight over to my charged AA Eneloops (which I use as a backup to the original battery).

But behaviour seems to be erratic, it is not always as bad as in the cases above, which makes me suspect the camera sometimes drains the battery while it is off. I am going to try my AA Eneloops to see if they get drained quickly and generally do more experimentation to try and pin it down.