Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Curious what is holding you back from updating yours?
I never noticed any problems, and some folks have encountered problems with upgrades.

I was previously using the K200D, which only ever had one FW upgrade that I know of, and I never applied it.

'upgrading FW' is not something I've ever been in the habit of doing I guess.

03-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
I never noticed any problems, and some folks have encountered problems with upgrades.

I was previously using the K200D, which only ever had one FW upgrade that I know of, and I never applied it.

'upgrading FW' is not something I've ever been in the habit of doing I guess.
Except the one you're having now. Some FW updates have brought marvelous improvements in autofocus, even new features, etc. Problems with upgrades are quite rare if you do them the way you are supposed to. You don't have to be the first in line but the benefits outweigh the risks by far IMHO...
03-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
I had a similar problem on the k-r and it seemed to be linked to the power supplied by the battery pack. If I used flash or raised the flash, I suspected that the battery power used to power the flash made the mirror lock. I didn't have the problem without flash or when using the as battery holder. This could be the same problem on the k30. What battery are you using?
I switched to rechargeable Sanyo Eneloops and stopped using the lithium ion batteries and have never had a lockup since.
03-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #19

I haven't done any intensive test with my k-30 after the repairs yet, but so far it is working great, no lockups and it exposes better than when it came out of the box.

1.06 running well

04-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Except the one you're having now. Some FW updates have brought marvelous improvements in autofocus, even new features, etc. Problems with upgrades are quite rare if you do them the way you are supposed to. You don't have to be the first in line but the benefits outweigh the risks by far IMHO...
Just upgraded to 1.06. No change in behaviour. 100mm WR macro lens on Kenko auto extension tube results in lockup if the flash is enabled. I thought these tubes had all the electrical contacts, but
I get prompted to enter the focal length, so some connection must be missing.
04-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
Just upgraded to 1.06. No change in behaviour. 100mm WR macro lens on Kenko auto extension tube results in lockup if the flash is enabled. I thought these tubes had all the electrical contacts, but
I get prompted to enter the focal length, so some connection must be missing.
Sometimes it is just one of them, or the total length of it the signal is degraded or something. Try each tube individually, see if you can isolate.
04-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sometimes it is just one of them, or the total length of it the signal is degraded or something. Try each tube individually, see if you can isolate.
Good Call. After posting that last update, it occurred to me that I've tried out my kit lens on an extension tube in the past and the only thing that wasn't working was autofocus.

I've never been prompted to enter the focal length. Sure enough, it was only one of the 3 tubes that was affected. Unfortunately, the longest one. The other two work fine either
singly or stacked.

Still, the camera shouldn't lock up due to a missing electrical connection ( when the flash is up ).