Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #1

where to find used lenses

So, I've been reading on here about how some of you have 50+ lenses in your collection, and I was just wondering where you go to pick up your lenses? I've noticed that manual focus lenses are incredibly inexpensive, but the idea of manual focus kind of scares me. Can you give some manual focus tips?

I particularly enjoy shooting candid shots at events (especially church events) and then some landscapes, street photography, and cityscapes. Any ideas?

03-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ebay
KEH
Camera shops
Garage sales
Estate sales
The forum marketplace.
03-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Ebay
KEH
Camera shops
Garage sales
Estate sales
The forum marketplace.
Any advice for manual focus? Especially in situations where your taking candids and snapshots?
03-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Every manual focus gem can be found on shopgoodwill.com when you search pentax

Just use your focus metering and stay away from chipped or broken lenses and you will get some excellent images

I have a good push pull 70-210 for $20 in the marketplace

03-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
What's a push pull?
03-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Discipulus Quote
Any advice for manual focus? Especially in situations where your taking candids and snapshots?
Practice, a lot of practice. Unless you are able to review and try again, always stop down enough to give yourself room for error. For fast moving subjects catch in focus can help a lot, again leave room for error with DOF. Another technique for fast subjects is burst mode, focus as the shutter is firing and you'll be more likely to get a usable shot, it is essentially focus bracketing.

The focus confirmation hexagon is reasonably reliable unless you're dealing with very thin DOF.

I see you have a K-50, so you have focus peaking in live view, that can be a huge help.

What's a push pull?
Also called a one-touch zoom. Same ring focuses and zooms, push/pull to zoom, rotate to focus.

To answer your main question, most of my stuff is from thrift stores and flea markets. A few have come from here on the forum either by trade or bought.
03-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LBA Early?

Hello Discipulus, welcome to the Forum!
Most of my used lenses were bought here (marketplace), eBay, one off Craigslist, even a few pawn shop finds and one (smc M 100mm f/2.8) at a yard sale, for $25.00 USD!. They're where you find' em, don't overlook thrift stores, big online sellers like KEH, B + H, etc., Salvation Army, Goodwill, estate sales.
But beware, there's smart buyer/sellers who comb these same venues looking to turn a profit. Get there early!
For manual focusing, most people use a custom viewing screen, if your camera has an exchangeable screen. Also, an OEM53 magnifying eyepiece and accurate diopter correction, cif, focus peaking, live view all are 'tricks' that work well, try to research threads with those subjects.
Be sure to check the lens reviews here and elsewhere, the price trends and performance, user comments.
It helps to have a plan; If you have a fifty, the general rule is the next prime should be either half or twice the focal length. A 24mm (thereabouts) or a 100mm.
After that, perhaps a 35mm or 85mm or even a 200mm.
Of course, when you add zooms to the mix there will be overlap, but I'm a prime shooter so it's easier to see the gaps in my collection.
It also depends upon your particular shooting style and subjects. For wildlife or sports, you might favor long telephotos. If your interest is street, scenic, indoors, you would be using wide angle lenses more.
It's called LBA, welcome to that club, too!
Ron

03-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input and feedback. You've given me more research and reading to do. It's half the fun!
03-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

What's a push pull?
Just a long manual focus lens you push and pull it to zoom spin to focus it's quite easy to use if you turn on your cameras focus metering / assist and shoot every time the red light and green hexagon appear

---------- Post added 03-16-14 at 11:53 PM ----------

Also I see lenses go straight from shopgoodwill to this sites marketplace a lot within a weeks time.

Beware of markups and do your research

For me manual lenses are a ton of fun especially if you only paid a few dollars for them
03-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #10

Original Poster
Is the tamron 28-80 the push pull?
03-16-2014, 10:07 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Is the tamron 28-80 the push pull?
There are a few different Tamron 28-80s, but I believe they are all two-touch designs. Similar in function to the 18-55mm, turn one ring to focus, turn one to zoom.

Push pull zooms are usually in the longer range, 70mm+. Most old long zooms you'll find fall into this category.
03-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

thrift stores, thrift stores, thrift stores. also kijiji (ebay classifieds in the states) or regular ebay if you're in a hurry and don't mind likely paying more. if you're going to be using m42 lenses, get the pentax adapter ring, not the cheap generic version (they can shed metal slivers inside your camera and jam easily). and get yourself an lcd viewfinder so you can focus in live view outdoors on a sunny day.
03-17-2014, 01:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

What's a push pull?
Pidgin English for a saw. Well kind of...
03-17-2014, 04:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every couple of weeks I buy a camera bag full of old junk on eBay for $40. Its like playing the Lotto.
03-17-2014, 05:24 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am dangerously addicted to shopgoodwill.com. Every time I go there it is to 'just look', and I find myself bidding on something. Sadly the deals there aren't as good as they were a few years ago. eBay resellers and snipers have infiltrated the site. It's also pretty much impossible to tell what condition the lens is in, the people who list the items have no idea what makes a good lens.