Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaikumarr18 Quote
Canon got a different way though and it uses flash to identify and focus subjects unlike focus assist lamp in pentax
I've got a Metz 52 AF-1 flash that has an AF "beam", but a better AF assist light isn't going to fix your problem. I would suggest learning to work better with the AF on your K-30. It isn't best in class for focusing in low light, but we are talking about a darkened room, not simply indoors. What is the negative effect of AF hunting, are you getting lots of out of focus pictures, or is the shutter releasing too late because it is still trying to focus and you don't get the picture you want? Try the single, 5 spot and 11 spot focusing settings to see which works best for you. Get comfortable with focus lock. Check to make sure AF.S and AF.C are set to focus priority, so the shutter won't release until the camera is focused on a spot. Use AF.S instead of AF.C unless you hold indoor track meet parties. I switched from manual focus film cameras to a K-30 only two years ago and I run into lots of situations where I could a better job of utilizing AF. The beauty of digital is that it doesn't cost you anything to develop your mistakes.

03-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #47

Original Poster
Thanks Glasel. I have actually tried spot and multi focusing (5 and 11) but did not have much luck with it The issue is camera hunts to focus the subject during low light condition since I have set it to focus priority. If I set it to shutter priority, then I would be getting lot of out of focus images. I always use AF.S by default.

---------- Post added 03-23-14 at 01:19 PM ----------

If at all I need to use manual focus during low light situation, will 50mm f1.4 or 50mm f1.8 capable of that?
03-28-2014, 04:33 AM   #48

Original Poster
At last placed an order for Pentax DA 50 f1.8 for AU$148.85 and I would be getting it on Sunday. I believe its a good price and hence did not think too much about f1.4 or 55DA* lens which is more than 3 times the price of f1.8. I know it cant match those high end lens in terms of sharpness and bokeh but that's the compromise am willing to make for the price. Thanks everyone for your support.

Regards,
Jai
03-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaikumarr18 Quote
I know it cant match those high end lens in terms of sharpness and bokeh
You may be surprised. Enjoy your new lens!

Steve

04-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #50

Original Poster
Got my Pentax 50 f1.8 lens and took some pictures indoors (low light). The bokeh was very good and way better than my 18-135mm WR. The auto focus seems to be faster but it was really loud. Will take it out for a spin outdoor this weekend and would let you all know the result.

Regards,
Jai