Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dirty Low Pass Filter

Hi, I wrote some time back asking if anyone had trouble with sensor dirt. My camera has been to Pentax Canada and Henry's service dept. Apparently there is dirt behind the low pass filter and a scratch on the filter. I asked how that could happen and got a story about using it in high heat or humidity. Long story short, they have voided the warranty unless I pay to have the sensor repaired! the estimate is almost the cost of a new camera. I maintain that a WR sealed camera with WR lenses should not have this problem.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?, and can anyone give me the e-mail addy of someone higher up the chain?

Henry's say that the damage should not be visible after a good cleaning, should I just get it cleaned?

Thanks.

Tuggie76

03-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
I maintain that a WR sealed camera with WR lenses should not have this problem.
The specified operating temp is -10 to 40 degrees C, so as long as you kept it within that range and there's no evidence indicating otherwise, it should be covered under warranty IMO.

And yes, if you haven't had the sensor professionally cleaned, you should start with that (standard cleaning isn't part of the base Pentax warranty). If there's still dust around, honestly I'd recommend to just use a raw converter or photoshop to clone it out, as it's not worth getting a new camera over it IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-17-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone else had a similar problem?, and can anyone give me the e-mail addy of someone higher up the chain?
If there is a scratch on the sensor, that is usually evidence that someone has attempted an inappropriate method of cleaning. Moisture behind the filter might also be evidence of such. If you wish, contact Ricoh Imaging, Canada and specifically request telephone contact. When they call back, ask for the phone number for follow-up communication. If you are not satisfied, ask that the issue be escalated. Keep records of who you talked to and the "ticket" number for your issue.

Steve

---------- Post added 03-17-14 at 06:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
And yes, if you haven't had the sensor professionally cleaned, you should start with that (standard cleaning isn't part of the base Pentax warranty). If there's still dust around, honestly I'd recommend to just use a raw converter or photoshop to clone it out, as it's not worth getting a new camera over it IMO.
Based on the OP's description, the dirt is BEHIND the low pass filter and Pentax/Ricoh is claiming that it was carried there by water or something. According to the OP's earlier thread (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/245647-dirty-sensor.html#post2616085):

QuoteQuote:
I tried cleaning myself with Lens Pen, but had no luck, so I took it to a local camera store, it's there now for the third time.
The Lens Pen in question was the SensorKlear, but I suspect that one of the four known "cleanings" is probably to blame. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think this is a warranty issue. Perhaps the matter had best be brought to the attention of the shop who performed the cleanings. A wet cleaning should be the last resort.

It always pains me to read of people doing repeated wet cleaning of their sensors. I have owned my K10D for seven years and have always used a rocket blower for dust removal and have NEVER touched the sensor with anything.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-17-2014 at 06:46 PM.
03-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I have just cleaned my sensor by using a rocket blower which worked for 7 years also. Today however I had wielded dust which was barely noticeable .in other word I could have lived with it/ But I wanted to clean it perfect . So here is what I did . I first used the rocket blower holding camera upside down then I used premoistened Len Wipes from CVS FOR KLEANING GLASSES LINTFREE and I put it on a sensor swab and one direction only cleaned the sensor. and then blew it again with the blower holding upside down naturally . And it takes a few tries but it is perfectly clean. I shot the blue sky with f-38 and it is squeaky clean .

---------- Post added 03-18-14 at 11:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
I have just cleaned my sensor by using a rocket blower which worked for 7 years also. Today however I had wielded dust which was barely noticeable .in other word I could have lived with it/ But I wanted to clean it perfect . So here is what I did . I first used the rocket blower holding camera upside down then I used premoistened Len Wipes from CVS FOR KLEANING GLASSES LINTFREE and I put it on a sensor swab and one direction only cleaned the sensor. and then blew it again with the blower holding upside down naturally . And it takes a few tries but it is perfectly clean. I shot the blue sky with f-38 and it is squeaky clean .
here is a link that I got the idea from works like a charm

03-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've had a few stubborn bits of semi-stuck dirt on my K-30 sensor, i.e. normal Rocket blowing didn't do a thing. Being somewhat reluctant to start wet cleaning due to experiences yonks ago with cleaning vinyl LPs, that being basically that once you start wet cleaning you have to carry on with it forever, so I found another way....

I worked out where the stubborn dirt was on the sensor, i.e. top left of an image is bottom right on the sensor, and used the blower more precisely and as powerfully as I could as close to the sensor as I dared and this worked. Next time I think I'll modify the blower so it can't reach inside enough to be able to actually touch the sensor.
03-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Yes like I said I most likely could have lived with it , however if you need to clean it better just watch the video and really don't be afraid. Just use common sense. I like the idea of premoistredend wipes because they evaporate evenly and I use the ones from cvs 100 in a pack for
$10 dollars its was a cake walk . Be advised some solutions can destroy the uv filter but this method I used wont.
03-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advise guys, I contacted Henrys call centre, they gave me an e-mail addy and the service manager is looking in to it further.

I admit the scratch could well be caused by trying to clean away the dirt behind the filter, but I feel on a WR camera with WR lenses it shouldn't be there.

Tuggie76
03-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Keep us in the loop Tuggie 76 ok wish u luck

03-25-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Finally got my camera back today. Pentax would not talk to Henry's about it, so Henrys did a $175.00 clean at no charge. I've attached a photo of todays grey sky at f22, the blemishes are manageable at this time so I'll live with it. Still has no warranty though, but will worry about that if something goes wrong in the next year!

Tuggie76

Last edited by tuggie76; 06-17-2014 at 04:41 PM.
03-25-2014, 06:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter

OK I took a look you do not have dirt under your low pass filter and it isn't scratched either. They didn't do a very good job
I even see evaporation marks as the should have left the mirror open longer. BUT HERE IS THE LINK TO DEMONSTRATE

---------- Post added 03-25-14 at 09:23 PM ----------

SOMETIMES it takes a bunch of tries.. wish I lived close to you I would help you.
03-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Niceshot, how do complain about a free clean? but if you ever visit Niagara Falls, let me know

I think I'll let Photoshop do the cleaning until it gets too bad, or maybe an upgrade is called for.

Tuggie 76
03-25-2014, 07:36 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Thanks Niceshot, how do complain about a free clean? but if you ever visit Niagara Falls, let me know

I think I'll let Photoshop do the cleaning until it gets too bad, or maybe an upgrade is called for.

Tuggie 76
You know you most likely will never see it in Normal pictures so my advice leave it be you shall be fine, worst case edit it out .
03-26-2014, 02:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
You know you most likely will never see it in Normal pictures so my advice leave it be you shall be fine, worst case edit it out .
Thanks again Niceshot. I've just compared it with a shot I took before I sent it in, the main moon shape in the top right is apparent in both shots, so it must be either well attached or behind the sensor.

Thanks again.

Tuggie76
03-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter

It is well attached think about it, it is not likely for dirt in that shape to get in between the low pass filter and sensor. YOU know I had a stubborn spot on my sensor like that it took 6 tries . But I got it. Blow it wipe it blow it wipe it blow it wipe is and finally blow it and I was done. One other thing let it dry thoroughly before you snap a test shot as new dust will stick very easy in the first few moments.