Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dirty film on sensor

Has any one noticed after you wet clean the sensor how sharp your pictures look. I believe this is because you are removing a film of dust that you cant see. I Personally noticed a huge difference upon wet cleaning my sensor, which by the way wasn't really all that dirty. So this leads me to believe a certain amount of dust that you simply cant see also impedes the photo process without it being so apparent. JUST A THOUGHT

03-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Everything you say about "invisible dust" degrading the image quality is true. We observe degradation of optical quality in our spectrophotometers from film deposition in the lab (poor air quality), and it's consistant with what I know about optics. But I can't say I've noticed it in my camera - but then again, I haven't looked for it. Can you document the "huge difference" you've observed?
03-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jford Quote
Everything you say about "invisible dust" degrading the image quality is true. We observe degradation of optical quality in our spectrophotometers from film deposition in the lab (poor air quality), and it's consistant with what I know about optics. But I can't say I've noticed it in my camera - but then again, I haven't looked for it. Can you document the "huge difference" you've observed?
It is hard to prove because I didn't take any before shots. it is something that I noticed upon wet cleaning my sensor which really wasn't all that dirty. You needed to shoot the blue sky and then pixel peep really hard to see a minute amount of dust ,that most of the other users would have been content to leave. Anyway after I cleaned it I notice a difference in the punchiness of the pictures.

---------- Post added 03-18-14 at 10:21 PM ----------

Here is one shot after wet cleaning my sensor
03-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is an interesting thought and one that might make yearly wet cleaning a good idea whether it looks to need it or not. Again, though, before and after shots would be needed to determine if it makes sense.

Steve

03-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Agreed
03-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

AGreed!