Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

new K-500 w memory card error

Just got my new K500 with twin lens kit. Luckily I had bought a pair of batteries from Amazon with a charger and charged them up last night in anticipation. I also bought a Sony 32GB memory card for DSLR cameras. The memory card gave a memory card error so I tried it in my Q and it worked fine in the Q and I formatted it in the Q and tried it again and it still didnt' work so now I left it in my Q and took my Q memory card which is also a Sony of the same size (looks identical) and it works in my new K500!

Doesn't make me too happy bout the Sony card though. I took a few shots with the K-500 and need to learn how to work a DSLR as I have never had one before. I am going to have fun learning this thing!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
03-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While one should not generalize too much, I personally have zero faith in Sony memory cards and would not use one if it were given to me for free. Far too many posts about them failing or not working properly.

Enjoy your new camera!!
03-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Have fun with the new camera, it's a great one for beginners and enthusiasts alike. I have found that the Sony memory card works okay in my point and shoot camera and camcorder, but doesn't seem to work well in my Pentax K-50 or K-01. So I stick with SanDisk Extreme or Eye-Fi when I am shooting with my Pentax cameras.

Other people have had the same problems with Sony memory cards:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/138-pentax-k-01/222093-memory-card-error-...lass-10-a.html
03-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I had tried for a few years to believe that a small-sensor camera would suit me best. Inevitably a DSLR image showed me how mistaken I was - so welcome to the group!
I too had read about the Sony cards being flaky, sorry yours is among them.

03-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Glad you have the issue worked out. I was sold a Hoodman branded card with my K-50, and was having similar issues. Exchanged the card a couple times, but finally gave up and bought a SanDisk Extreme. The local camera shop was really helpful working with me. They ended up exchanging the Hoodman for a Delkin branded card (actually gave me an extra one for my trouble -- very cool of them). I had already picked up the SanDisk by then, so now I have a few to choose from -- lol

Good luck getting to know your K-500 -- great times ahead, for sure. Being an entry-level guy myself, I took a strong look at the K-500, but opted for the WR on the K-50 (plus they had the matte white model, and I like the stormtrooper look). I live in Washington State, and we have our fair share of rain, drizzle, etc. Figured the WR might come in handy.
03-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
If I was in Washington I might get that K50 too. The K500 for me was 300 dollars cheaper which is a lot so I went that way. I can't see sending back this crippled card to Amazon and it works on my Q so I will hope for the best with it. From now on I will buy the transcends or sandisks. Just getting to know the darn focusing on this K500 will be a little project.

Yes the DSLR seems to fit me a lot better as for me, I can't even take a picture with those cameras without the viewfinder. I liked the looks of those Olympus micro 4/3 but would have the same issues I have with the Q and MX1 of not being able to see what I am doing etc. Plus they are not pocketable either so I might as well go for the DSLR which feels real good in the hand.
07-31-2014, 09:05 PM   #7

SD Sone memory card error with K-500

I had the same proble with a sony 10GB 40Mb memory card. Upgrading camera firmware to v 1.02 fixed the problem.
08-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
Forum Member

I tried 2 brand new SONY 32gig cards in my K500 an NEITHER one worked. I reported the card failure to the dealer I bought the camera from (BH) and they sent me another replacement for free and never asked for the original back. The replacement also failed in the K500.
Funny thing is that ALL of my OTHER brand SD cards worked fine in the K500, and the Sony cards worked fine in everything else I had EXCEPT the K500.
The really interesting thing is that the 2 Sony cards worked perfectly in my slightly older Pentax K-m (2000) DSLR.
Go figure.

08-07-2014, 05:03 AM   #9

Have you tried updating camera firmware to version 1.02?
Itīs worked for me
08-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #10

My 64gb 94mb/s Sony SDXC also gives many "Memory card error" (in my k30).
Found an old 16gb class 4 SanDisk in a no longer used phone and it works perfectly.
Would like to know whether it is Sony or Pentax failure.
08-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cabessius Quote
Would like to know whether it is Sony or Pentax failure.
Quite a few posts here over the last year or so complaining about Sony cards not working. Might be just a slight difference in tolerance on both that combined gives problems.
09-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #12

Exactly the same experience. Sony card won't read. SD card no problem. Sony never misses an opportunity to make something proprietary that won't play nice with other hardware.