Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K30 optical dof preview

This is not around shutter release button but can attach to fx button. But problem is that user erconomy is terrible and I not feel comfortable using fx button for this. This is most irritating feature of k30. Its great little cam but missing usable optical dof preview...i wonder why pentax made it like this...

03-22-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You would need to speak to the Pentax Design Team. No-body here would know the answer to that.
03-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
A lot of convenient controls meant for more advanced users were left out of the K-30, those who want them went for a K-5.

The K-30 was meant for a different market, a market who uses scene modes and likely doesn't know what the DOF preview is for.
03-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, if you want the convenience of a dedicated dof preview button, you have to look at one of the high-end models. It's already great that they included 2 e-dials and weather sealing in the k30, features which other manufacturers reserve for more expensive cams.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
A lot of convenient controls meant for more advanced users were left out of the K-30, those who want them went for a K-5.

The K-30 was meant for a different market, a market who uses scene modes and likely doesn't know what the DOF preview is for.
Not exactly. The K-30 has DOF preview but the user who wants it simply has to assign the RAW/Fx button to do this function. It's not hard -- even for a K-30 owner.
03-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Not exactly. The K-30 has DOF preview but the user who wants it simply has to assign the RAW/Fx button to do this function. It's not hard -- even for a K-30 owner.
I never said it wasn't an option, just they felt it wasn't worth dedicating a control to it. Same with metering modes, the K-30 has matrix, center weighted and spot metering modes like the K-5, but you need to access the menu to change between them. It is done for the same reason, the target market of the K-30 is more likely to just leave it in matrix and let the camera do the thinking for them.

Not saying every K-30 user is going to fall into that category, but that part of the market they are shooting for is more populated by those types of users. People who know and understand these functions will decide for themselves whether or not they want the more accessible controls or not.
03-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I never said it wasn't an option, just they felt it wasn't worth dedicating a control to it. Same with metering modes, the K-30 has matrix, center weighted and spot metering modes like the K-5, but you need to access the menu to change between them. It is done for the same reason, the target market of the K-30 is more likely to just leave it in matrix and let the camera do the thinking for them.

Not saying every K-30 user is going to fall into that category, but that part of the market they are shooting for is more populated by those types of users. People who know and understand these functions will decide for themselves whether or not they want the more accessible controls or not.
That's not what you said. You claimed: "The K-30 was meant for a different market, a market who uses scene modes and likely doesn't know what the DOF preview is for." If that was true, there wouldn't be a DOF preview option along with a manual twice as big as the K-3's that explains what it is and how to use it.

03-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
That's not what you said. You claimed: "The K-30 was meant for a different market, a market who uses scene modes and likely doesn't know what the DOF preview is for." If that was true, there wouldn't be a DOF preview option along with a manual twice as big as the K-3's that explains what it is and how to use it.
I don't get how you think my posts are contradictory. Some advanced users don't use DOF preview or switch metering modes often, so a K-30 would be fine for them too, but the target market is still the beginners.

They wouldn't leave these features out entirely because they want people to learn and discover how to use them and potentially upgrade to a nicer body to make them easier to use.
03-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeesh. They put the feature in the K3 - just saved a bit of money on a mechanical control. At least they didn't eunuch the K-30 altogether!

I use the optical preview lever on my K10D and K3 to meter with manual lenses. I don't miss it on the K-01 because I didn't expect it to be there.
03-23-2014, 04:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

As a K-30 owner who has dedicated the RAW/Fx button to optical preview in the past, I can safely say I never found it useful! The VF usually gets too dark to be sure what the effect will be - it's easier to take a test shot. While we're talking about the RAW/Fx button, it should have been made more proud, I can't feel for it while I'm looking through the VF and find it quicker to look for it.
03-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
.i wonder why pentax made it like this...
Optical DOF preview has historically required a workaround for the non-flagship Pentax dSLRs. If you want a dedicated button/switch, you have to pay for the privilege.

Steve
03-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Optical DOF preview has historically required a workaround for the non-flagship Pentax dSLRs. If you want a dedicated button/switch, you have to pay for the privilege.
Only since the K-m, all of them had it up until that point. That is one thing I decided I didn't want to give up when upgrading from the K100D.
03-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't get how you think my posts are contradictory. Some advanced users don't use DOF preview or switch metering modes often, so a K-30 would be fine for them too, but the target market is still the beginners.

They wouldn't leave these features out entirely because they want people to learn and discover how to use them and potentially upgrade to a nicer body to make them easier to use.
No, not remotely supported by the evidence. Pentax targeted the K-30 toward intermediate users, and even toward those of us who do occasional professional work. For me, it was quite clear that the K-30 had better image quality overall than the K5 due to the better (less invasive) AA filter in the vast majority of shooting situations (only in extreme lighting did the K5 have a slight DR advantage); and it had a vastly improved processing engine with the significant advantages provided by a usable live view system - which is particularly important for those of us who rely on top quality, fast prime MF lenses that were - frankly - poorly supported by the K5's somewhat dated design. That's why many of us who had only shot flagship (for decades) went with the K-30. Really, the DoF preview is a minor concern, and dedicating a different button is just a matter of learning a new habit. As for going into the menu to switch metering modes - again something easy to do quickly, and not an issue in normal shooting situations.

The K-30 isn't ideal (the battery situation especially is a pain), but for many Pentax shooters it was easily the best choice at the time especially for those of us who needed an exacting manual focus tool that models prior to the K-01 and K30 lacked.

Beginner cameras have a single control wheel, a penta-mirror viewfinder, no weather sealing, often no focus confirm lights, and with some brands (not Pentax) limited legacy lens compatibility. Even the K-500 has more going for it than most of the entry level cameras offered by other brands; it qualifies as replacing the KR as entry level - but on the high end of "beginner."
03-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #14

At least they added that function, it's very handy. I would like a AF-lock and AE-lock separated buttons, but for the price of the K-30 and K-5 I understand why they didn't
04-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Regarding the optical preview, my older (flagship) cameras have the stop down around shutter release collar - so the release is in close proximity to a multi-function switch. Not that it is difficult to master, and not that I ever got confused and switched the camera off by mistake - but it is something you have to momentarily think about. The K-01 can stop down by pressing the red button (if you dedicate it to that - as I do); you have to remember that - and it is positioned right next to the button that switches you between changing shutter speed and aperture. So, not ideal, but the feature is there.

Pressing a button that is all by itself (K-30) near where you think of the aperture actual stopping down on the lens is the most logical idea in my view - and has quickly become second nature because its a good photography ergo; consequently, pretty easy to dump an old habit. So, Pentax - while a few things about the K-30 certainly are quite frustrating - this arrangement with the RAW/fx button is an improvement on previous designs, IMHO.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 04-03-2014 at 02:15 PM.