Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2014, 05:58 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dirt / Dust on sensor

OK, so I definitely have dirt of dust on my K-30 sensor. I change lenses often, but I'm very careful and never leave my camera without a lens on it, either way I have something on the sensor and I want to get it off.

My questions is, can I do it myself? Or am I better off taking to a camera technician or back to Pentax? Downside if I send to Pentax for me is I'd have to send to Melbourne from Perth.

If I can do it myself, what do I need to do it? And does anyone have any links to tools and how to guides?

Thanks

03-24-2014, 06:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/247705-senso...g-mistake.html

More than enough information here - read carefully, it's easy to make matters worse!
On the plus side, a reputable camera shop should be able to clean it if you're not comfortable doing so.
03-24-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
depends how confident u feel.i was in the same boat as you and my first job was to buy a rocket blower.tried that, moved half of the dust off. then i bought a sensor gel stick which worked amazingly well and sensor was spotless.
just follow the information provided on this forum and you should be ok.
03-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

For a start, you are positive that you have dirt on the sensor on not only on the mirror? Pentax mirror are pretty good at "Sealing" the sensor. Also for run of the mill dust, the sensor cleaning mechanism and the sensor coating are pretty good at preventing accumulation. I'm just asking because I've seen many people do that mistake, mirrors do get dirty.

A good way to know is to take a few over-exposed picture of a clear blue sky, at various focal length and various focus point (and with various lenses if possible). If you end up with "blobs" of blur or actual spots on every pictures at the exact same spot, your sensor is dirty. Otherwise, it could be your lens.

The built-in tool for spotting dirt on the sensor can easily be wrong if not used properly, again using a clear blue sky when doing the test will help.

If you can actually see the dirt on the sensor with your mirror locked up, a blower is probably the way to go. Be careful not to blow too much since you might end up dislodging crap from around the sensor and making the matters worst. We were just discussing it in another thread... I have used SensorSwab c/w Eclipse cleaner to great results on my cameras. But as it was mentioned, it all depends on how confident you are, a solid piece of dirt can scratch your sensor using swabs. And it takes a bit of practice to get the motion right. My first few tries ended up making it worst.

Do a few sensor cleaning using the SR with your camera pointing down with no lens attached to see if it helps

03-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm pretty confident it's on the sensor, tried the different lenses trick, same spots etc. in fact I noticed it taking a series of sunset shots initially.

My concern is making it worse as I haven't done it before, so I'd consider coughing up the cash to shift that responsibility to someone who should know what they are doing.
03-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Here ya go... Easy, cheap and safe.

That's an old now-dead link to the brushes, but you can do a search for them on eBay & come up with 'em. Been doing it this way for 3 years now & it works well.
03-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The brush technique is great. Simple and effective. Works a treat. Highly recommended.

03-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Order of precedence:
  • Internal dust removal (never successful for me)
  • Rocket Blower (has always worked for me)
  • Dry brush (be absolutely sure it is dust and oil free!!!) (Never had to use)
  • Wet clean (Never had to use)

Steve
03-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
watch this and learn but first use a Giotto Rocket blower as others may spit rubber out 2 try that gel stick 3 wet cleam. Ok now remember if you wet clean it is very important to hold the camera upside down and wit the mirror up blow it clean fist so you don't scratch the sensor but please watch this link. good luck
04-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #10

the rocket blower and the function of sensor cleaning on start help a lot
12-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #11

Rocket blower usually suffices. Only one time in 10 years I had a stubborn particle on the sensor of my K-x. I cleaned it successfully with Lenspen SensorKlear II (dry method).
12-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghkuper Quote
Rocket blower usually suffices. Only one time in 10 years I had a stubborn particle on the sensor of my K-x. I cleaned it successfully with Lenspen SensorKlear II (dry method).
I have used this pen with great success on my Oly stuff. I only had to use it once on my E-3 and once on the E-1. Cheap, quick and easy, no mucking around with swabs, cleaning fluid etc.
12-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Make sure the camera is turned off when changing lens. It seemed to make a huge reduction on the need for cleaning in my K100D days.
12-18-2015, 09:50 AM   #14

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. I tried using the rocketblower but no luck. Plus, I had dust specs in my viewfinder too. So I decided to take it to a qualified Pentax service center which luckily was near where I live.
It costed 40€ to clean but the tech told me the dirt was so stubborn on my sensor that it took a while for him too to get it clean.
So, in the end I was glad I did it, as I could've made matters worse with such serious dirt...
Sometimes, when in doubt, and when there is something like the possibility to ruin a camera's component I prefer to have a qualified tech do it for a cost, instead of doing it myself at the risk of making things worse to save just a few bucks, after all it only happens every once in a while.
12-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. I tried using the rocketblower but no luck. Plus, I had dust specs in my viewfinder too. So I decided to take it to a qualified Pentax service center which luckily was near where I live.
It costed 40€ to clean but the tech told me the dirt was so stubborn on my sensor that it took a while for him too to get it clean.
So, in the end I was glad I did it, as I could've made matters worse with such serious dirt...
Sometimes, when in doubt, and when there is something like the possibility to ruin a camera's component I prefer to have a qualified tech do it for a cost, instead of doing it myself at the risk of making things worse to save just a few bucks, after all it only happens every once in a while.
PLZ all I ever had to do was use a ROCKET BLOWER, OR STICKY WAND, OR Q-TIPS AND ALCOHOL .