Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hopsing Quote
Yes, it's a bug not a feature. The same behavior on my K-30 . And the workaround is nice !
here's the site where i got the patterns for the pins if you want to give it a try. Features and Operation of the Ka Mount i'm probably going to end up grinding little divots into the lenses and filling them in with paint rather than using tape, once i make sure this works with all my lenses and doesn't cause any weird behaviour in any other modes.

04-06-2014, 07:57 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
it's now working exactly like my k-r does. the tape is to mimic the pattern of plastic dots on pentax-a lenses for the 5 simple on/off pins. the "a" setting pin and the data pin don't seem to be involved in whatever the glitch is.
The current behavior of the mount contacts is so bizarre. It used to be that they were only evaluated if the "A" pin had continuity. Now it appears that is no longer the case. So much for backward compatibility.

Steve

---------- Post added 04-06-14 at 08:05 AM ----------

once i make sure this works with all my lenses and doesn't cause any weird behaviour in any other modes.
There is the rub. When you mask the contacts, does the camera display F--- for the aperture or does it display a number?* If other than F---, you can expect poor results since the body may not apply full travel to the aperture actuator.

Steve

* Edit: I see from your video that it indeed does still show F---

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-06-2014 at 08:14 AM.
04-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The current behavior of the mount contacts is so bizarre. It used to be that they were only evaluated if the "A" pin had continuity. Now it appears that is no longer the case. So much for backward compatibility.

Steve

---------- Post added 04-06-14 at 08:05 AM ----------

There is the rub. When you mask the contacts, does the camera display F--- for the aperture or does it display a number?* If other than F---, you can expect poor results since the body may not apply full travel to the aperture actuator.

Steve

* Edit: I see from your video that it indeed does still show F---
there's no "a" pin on that lens to connect with the recessed contact on the camera to begin with, so that wasn't an issue. it was the fact that my pentax-a lens gave a properly exposed live view image even when not set to "a" that tipped me off to the solution using the other 5 pins.
04-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
It's a bug. I have started a request to Ricoh.

04-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
a little update: it seems copying the exact pin pattern that matches the lens' min and max aperture isn't necessary. just blocking 1 pin seems to do the trick, though i've only tried it with a couple of lenses so far.
04-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #21
Site Supporter

a little update: it seems copying the exact pin pattern that matches the lens' min and max aperture isn't necessary. just blocking 1 pin seems to do the trick, though i've only tried it with a couple of lenses so far.
Would that be the "data" pin by any chance? If so, your issue joins a host of others related to Pentax "overloading" the data pin functionality in ways that is not compatible with earlier lenses.

Steve
04-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Would that be the "data" pin by any chance? If so, your issue joins a host of others related to Pentax "overloading" the data pin functionality in ways that is not compatible with earlier lenses.

Steve
nope. like i mentioned before, the live view overexposure doesn't happen with pentax-a lenses, which don't have a data pin, and the "A" setting pin makes no difference, so it's just the five aperture range pins that seem to be triggering the bug when all five are connected. as long as at least one is blocked, everything seems to work fine, even if the pattern doesn't match the aperture range of the lens.
04-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #23
Pentaxian

PROBLEM SOLVED (more or less)!!! the overexposed live view only occurs with manual lenses with no electrical contacts. with a pentax-a lens the live view remains properly exposed no matter what f-stop i have the aperture ring set to when metering. a bit of tape on one of my manual aperture lenses to let the camera know it's an f/1.4 lens was all it took. the live view image is now perfectly exposed after stop down metering at any f-stop and the photos still come out properly exposed at any f-stop as well.
Been reading thru the thread, as a brand new K-30 (but not Pentax) owner... This would only come up if I am using an old (non-"A") lens and in Live View, correct? No exposure issues if viewfinder is used?

I do have a couple of SMC-M lenses, but haven't tried them on the new body yet. From this and the last post, using a bit of tape to mask any of the pins on these would "solve" it?

Jim

04-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Been reading thru the thread, as a brand new K-30 (but not Pentax) owner... This would only come up if I am using an old (non-"A") lens and in Live View, correct? No exposure issues if viewfinder is used?
yeah, so far i've only seen it happen with k-mount lenses that have plain metal lens mounts with no pins or plastic dots, and only the live view image and it's histogram are affected, and only when you use the green button to meter and the lens aperture ring isn't set to wide open, so any photos you take are still properly exposed when you use the green button to meter. the only time you'd have to worry about the photos being affected is if you used the live view and it's histogram to judge proper exposure when manually adjusting settings.

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
I do have a couple of SMC-M lenses, but haven't tried them on the new body yet. From this and the last post, using a bit of tape to mask any of the pins on these would "solve" it?

Jim
i wouldn't use tape as a long term solution. you'll end up with tape residue gunking up your camera's pins. a small drop of automotive touch up paint, nail polish, etc. will work, preferably mixed with paint thinner so you get as thin of a coat as possible when it dries. but try your lenses without it first, i don't know if this bug affects all k-30s or just some of them.

Last edited by maltfalc; 04-24-2014 at 04:06 PM.