Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-30 live view overexposed in M mode

anybody else having this problem? when using a fully manual lens in m mode with the aperture ring set to wide open, if i hit the green button it adjusts the shutter speed and live view adjusts itself to look properly exposed, getting lighter or darker when i raise or lower the shutter speed manually, like i would expect. if i have the aperture ring set to anything but wide open, hitting the green button stops down the lens and readjusts to a lower shutter speed like i would expect, and if i take a photo it comes out properly exposed, BUT live view is overexposed, as if it isn't adjusting to compensate for the difference in aperture.

04-04-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you saying that the rear LCD is overly light, but the photo is OK?

Steve
04-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The K-30 is functioning properly. When the aperture returns to wide open after processing the green button stop down you are seeing the additional light and shallow depth of field as the camera body was designed. It is assumed that you either will take the photo immediately or you can always accomplish WYSIWYG by implementing optical stop down to not only view the exposure correctly but see the DoF. In the menu, you can dedicate the RAW/fx button to optical stop down function.

On the K-01, I notice that the live view does not go to the lighter shade after pressing the green button even though the aperture returns to full open. Some kind of compensating software must be incorporated into that body that does not exist in the K-30.
04-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you saying that the rear LCD is overly light, but the photo is OK?
not the whole lcd, just the live view feed. it's overexposed by however many stops i have the aperture ring stopped down, up to 3 or 4 stops at which point the overexposure seems to plateau, with anything white in the scene completely blown out.

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
The K-30 is functioning properly.
no, a live view that's several stops overexposed when the scene is properly metered is not functioning properly.

On the K-01, I notice that the live view does not go to the lighter shade after pressing the green button even though the aperture returns to full open. Some kind of compensating software must be incorporated into that body that does not exist in the K-30.
my k-r works the exact same way. that's how it's supposed to work.

04-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
Originally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim
The K-30 is functioning properly.
no, a live view that's several stops overexposed when the scene is properly metered is not functioning properly.
Yes, it is working as designed as verified and clearly explained in the earlier post. Not good enough for you, though. Are you not understanding the design limitation, or just so self-involved about how you want a lower-level camera to address your very narrow wish due to laziness - as two buttons pushed are beyond your ability?

The camera is designed a certain way, and provides you the ability to not only get good use out of an M-lens mount system that hasn't been produced for more than 30 years, but also allows even a somewhat lazy photographer to simply press a second button to give you not only the correct exposure on your screen but also the exact depth of field. It really is pretty simple stuff - push the buttons.

Perhaps it would be best for you to find another camera that supports a very old legacy lens system at a very low price point with the image quality that the K-30 produces. We can wait, but I'll be long dead by the time you find that camera. Better yet, save the stress. Sell the M-mount lenses, or give away the K-30 because its "not functioning properly."
04-04-2014, 11:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, it is working as designed as verified and clearly explained in the earlier post. Not good enough for you, though. Are you not understanding the design limitation, or just so self-involved about how you want a lower-level camera to address your very narrow wish due to laziness - as two buttons pushed are beyond your ability?

The camera is designed a certain way, and provides you the ability to not only get good use out of an M-lens mount system that hasn't been produced for more than 30 years, but also allows even a somewhat lazy photographer to simply press a second button to give you not only the correct exposure on your screen but also the exact depth of field. It really is pretty simple stuff - push the buttons.

Perhaps it would be best for you to find another camera that supports a very old legacy lens system at a very low price point with the image quality that the K-30 produces. We can wait, but I'll be long dead by the time you find that camera. Better yet, save the stress. Sell the M-mount lenses, or give away the K-30 because its "not functioning properly."
spare me the condescending attitude and personal attacks. my camera IS NOT working the way it's supposed to. it's not working the way my k-r or your k-01 work. live view that's too blown out when properly metered to manually focus is worthless. having to set the shutter speed manually to get a usable live view image, then focus, then hit the green button and wait for it to take a meter reading right before every single shot is not a viable option. holding down the raw button and trying to focus with the lens stopped down at the same time with one hand isn't an option either. do you have even a single useful or accurate piece of information to add to this thread?
04-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hmm... my LiveView screen on my K-30 seems a bit bright and saturated but I don't mind it. I think it could be even on purpose in order to work better in bright sunlit conditions. The shots come out properly exposed. I think most LCD views on cameras (and phones) are a bit bright and saturated and people have noticed the difference when they transfer the photos to their computer. If the histogram for the saved photo is OK then I'm OK with whatever the screen shows for framing/composing.

04-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

We on the forum are sort of at a loss to provide you guidance or information here. We can't see what you are seeing. Perhaps you could post a short video (taken with your K-r) showing the sequence to reproduce the problem as well as the offending overly-light screen. That would help immensely, so would knowing what you mean by "fully manual lens". From your description, it sounds like you are shooting with a native K-mount lacking "A" contacts.

OTOH, your comment above makes it clear that you already have strong evidence that your camera is not functioning properly. You seem to be experienced and conversant on what you are trying to do and I guess it is safe to assume that you know what your are doing and are experienced in managing the camera's settings and have ruled out the various potential causes for this behavior. I am also assuming that the firmware is up-to-date. Am I correct so far? There is also the matter of there not being any previous reports of strange live view behavior in the K-30 on this site prior to your difficulties. That is a pretty good indication that things are not right and that it is not something that any of us can fix.

Do you see where I am heading? A rant is fine and I understand your frustration. Just don't frame a rant as a request for assistance.

Is the K-30 still on warranty and if so, have you contacted Pentax about this issue? They should be able to tell you definitively if this is the expected behavior and offer you a remedy if it is not.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-05-2014 at 08:14 PM.
04-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
PROBLEM SOLVED (more or less)!!! the overexposed live view only occurs with manual lenses with no electrical contacts. with a pentax-a lens the live view remains properly exposed no matter what f-stop i have the aperture ring set to when metering. a bit of tape on one of my manual aperture lenses to let the camera know it's an f/1.4 lens was all it took. the live view image is now perfectly exposed after stop down metering at any f-stop and the photos still come out properly exposed at any f-stop as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Hmm... my LiveView screen on my K-30 seems a bit bright and saturated but I don't mind it. I think it could be even on purpose in order to work better in bright sunlit conditions. The shots come out properly exposed. I think most LCD views on cameras (and phones) are a bit bright and saturated and people have noticed the difference when they transfer the photos to their computer. If the histogram for the saved photo is OK then I'm OK with whatever the screen shows for framing/composing.
my live view wasn't just a bit bright, it was 3 or 4 stops overexposed. all better now though. do me a favor? if you have an old lens with a blank lens mount, try it in m mode with live view. hit the green button with the aperture ring set to wide open then again with the ring set to f/8 or f/16 or something. does the live view image switch to being badly overexposed after metering at f/8? just wondering if it's just my k-30 or if they all have the same bug.
04-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

PROBLEM SOLVED (more or less)!!! the overexposed live view only occurs with manual lenses with no electrical contacts.
Cool! Is this the same behavior as on your K-r?

I am curious about taping the base to let the body know a f/1.4 lens is mounted. Are you taping to defeat the data pin or is it something else?

Steve
04-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We on the forum are sort of at a loss to provide you guidance or information here. We can't see what you are seeing. Perhaps you could post a short video (taken with your K-r) showing the sequence to reproduce the problem as well as the offending overly-light screen. That would help immensely, so would knowing what you mean by "fully manual lens". From your description, it sounds like you are shooting with a native K-mount lacking "A" contacts.
yep, manual focus and manual aperture third-party equivalent to pentax-m

OTOH, your comment above makes it clear that you already have strong evidence that your camera is not functioning properly. You seem to be experienced and conversant on what you are trying to do and I guess it is safe to assume that you know what your are doing and are experienced in managing the camera's settings and have ruled out the various potential causes for this behavior. I am also assuming that the firmware is up-to-date. Am I correct so far?
i buy, sell and repair photo gear (among other things) for a living, so i'd like to think i know what i'm doing, and this is my third pentax dslr. i'm using the latest firmware now, and i've already tried downgrading to a few previous versions but it didn't help.
There is also the matter of there not being any previous reports of strange live view behavior in the K-30 on this site prior to your difficulties. That is a pretty good indication that things are not right and that it is not something that any of us can fix.

Do you see where I am heading? A rant is fine and I understand your frustration. Just don't frame a rant as a request for assistance.
i was perfectly civil and just looking for help until jim showed up with his condescending attitude, insisting that my camera was fine, spouting a bunch of made-up nonsense about how he thinks it's meant to work, calling me lazy/stupid/self-involved, telling me i should just sell my gear, etc..

Is the K-30 still on warranty and if so, have you contacted Pentax about this issue? They should be able to tell you definitively if this is the expected behavior and offer you a remedy if it is not.

Steve
bought it used here in the buy/sell forum, so no warranty and no cash for repairs or a replacement. but i've figured out a work-around for the problem at least.
04-05-2014, 09:02 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

but i've figured out a work-around for the problem at least.
This is good. There are so many issues that have cropped up in regards to legacy lenses with the current generation Pentax cameras. Most of those have been related to to exposure using lenses with non-conductive bases. Glad you got yours figured out.

Steve
04-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cool! Is this the same behavior as on your K-r?

I am curious about taping the base to let the body know a f/1.4 lens is mounted. Are you taping to defeat the data pin or is it something else?

Steve
it's now working exactly like my k-r does. the tape is to mimic the pattern of plastic dots on pentax-a lenses for the 5 simple on/off pins. the "a" setting pin and the data pin don't seem to be involved in whatever the glitch is.
04-05-2014, 11:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
made a couple of before and after vids.
04-06-2014, 02:47 AM   #15

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it's a bug not a feature. The same behavior on my K-30 . And the workaround is nice !

Last edited by hopsing; 04-06-2014 at 02:59 AM.