Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 06:22 AM   #1

Yongnuo flash on K-50

After doing some research on external flash units for my new K-50, I settled on the Yongnuo YN560-III as the best alternative. The unit is sturdy and has all the features for a non-PTTL flash. I was excited to use this new equipment on an assignment next week. However, there seems to be a setting I haven't discovered to activate the flash for the K-50. Looking at the manual, all it discusses is using the over-priced Pentax flashes (as might be expected).
Also, I can't find any discussion on this forum about using an external flash and having it recognized by the camera. Is there some setting that I missed? The flash itself works fine, as I tested it on another camera. I don't intend to use it as an off-camera flash either, but I would like to have advice on how to use the proper mode for such flashes.

04-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
As long as the shutter speed is 1/180 or slower the flash will fire, there is no setting to enable it or disable it.
04-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
As long as the shutter speed is 1/180 or slower the flash will fire, there is no setting to enable it or disable it.
Yep, calculate your aperture based on guide number and you are golden.

Steve
04-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for the hint. That did it - the flash works in all modes but on Auto, so long as I have it set at 1/80 or below. The flash unit itself shows 1/28 as the max, so do I need to dial down the shutter speed accordingly? What is the effect of having the camera at the faster speed?

04-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
Inactive Account

That is 1/128, the minimum flash power, your shutter speed has no effect on the flash exposure. The flash burst is so short that it is only a fraction of the time the shutter is open. A YN-560 at 1/128 power the flash burst is only 1/23000 of a second, if you're in a dark room it will effectively give you a shutter speed of 1/23000 and freeze motion very well no matter what your actual camera's shutter speed is.

You use your shutter speed to balance flash with ambient light. An easy way to think of it is an image with flash is two separate exposures happening at the same time.

ISO, aperture and flash duration(power) affect the flash half of the exposure.
ISO, aperture and shutter speed affect the ambient half of the exposure.

You can figure out the flash power level needed with math or just go by trial and error.

There is a ton of good information on proper flash usage here, they cover a lot of manual flash topics.
Strobist
04-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #6

Original Poster
That is 1/128, the minimum flash power, your shutter speed has no effect on the flash exposure. The flash burst is so short that it is only a fraction of the time the shutter is open. A YN-560 at 1/128 power the flash burst is only 1/23000 of a second, if you're in a dark room it will effectively give you a shutter speed of 1/23000 and freeze motion very well no matter what your actual camera's shutter speed is.

You use your shutter speed to balance flash with ambient light. An easy way to think of it is an image with flash is two separate exposures happening at the same time.

ISO, aperture and flash duration(power) affect the flash half of the exposure.
ISO, aperture and shutter speed affect the ambient half of the exposure.

You can figure out the flash power level needed with math or just go by trial and error.

There is a ton of good information on proper flash usage here, they cover a lot of manual flash topics.
Strobist
Thank you, Elliott! Valuable info for those of us who have been sliding along using the onboard flash on auto setting and praying that it won't blow out the subject matter. I haven't used a manual flash for the past 10 years, hence my innocent inquiry.
04-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by buessi Quote
Thank you, Elliott! Valuable info for those of us who have been sliding along using the onboard flash on auto setting and praying that it won't blow out the subject matter. I haven't used a manual flash for the past 10 years, hence my innocent inquiry.
It is a useful skill to have because even if you buy an expensive P-TTL hotshoe flash there will be times where manual is still needed for repeatable results. With enough practice you'll eventually be able to get the exposure close the first time without thinking about it. Gets really fun when you add multiple flashes, modifiers and gels into the mix.
04-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
even if you buy an expensive P-TTL hotshoe flash there will be times where manual is still needed for repeatable results.
This is so true. The nice thing about dSLR is that you can often preview the result and modify the setup appropriately.

Steve

04-09-2014, 06:04 AM   #9

Lots of Information about using flash in Manual on you tube

This is one of several put out by Joe Brady, while it is on youtube this is a better quality of video. Blending Flash & Ambient Light for Beautiful Outdoor Portraits. there are more on this site as well as youtube.
04-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #10

Original Poster
Training yourself in using a manual flash

There are indeed several useful videos regarding manual flash as a main or supplemental lighting technique. Being able to review the results immediately and make appropriate adjustments certainly does help these days. Of course, knowing what speedlite features mean is essential. The owner's manual for the camera or flash gives some valuable hints, but it was a video that explained to me that the power setting on the flash (1/1, 1/4 or whatever) was not the shutter speed required to take a well-lit photo!