Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Not much to add here, as it's already been said. Even though they're costly, I would support getting the official Pentax adapter. I picked up a cheap knock-off that arrived in the mail last night. Attached it to a newly purchased Takumar 55mm 1.8, and went out in my backyard to break them both in.Lots of great shots, and used AV mode for the metering. Then I go to take it off...yikes. I was warned that they could get stuck, and it was a chance I was willing to take. Took me about 30 minutes to get it off. That little tool they give you didn't get the job done, so I used a fine-tip jeweler's screwdriver, and that got the job done. I went ahead and removed the thin little metal flange (single Phillips screw), and then tried using the adapter/lens again, just screwing it on somewhat firmly. Worked really well, and that's what I'll do moving forward.

I also ordered a cheap set of extension tubes, and while they worked pretty well. I'm thankful that they come apart in sections, as that gives me access to the pin that locks it in place on your mount. No matter what I do, that mount will not come off unless I press it from the inside.

Guess the bottom line here is that it's a bit of a crapshoot on the quality of the cheap, knock-off stuff.

04-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #17

I use Pentax adapters on micro four thirds and I have 2 of the cheapest ones I could find on eBay. Neither have ever gotten stuck on my Panasonic nor to any of my Pentax K or Tamron lenses. I wonder what makes the cheaper m42 adapters for Pentax more prone to sticking than the official one? I would have thought that most of the cheaper clones were made in the same Chinese factories?
04-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by matt_not_andrew Quote
I use Pentax adapters on micro four thirds and I have 2 of the cheapest ones I could find on eBay. Neither have ever gotten stuck on my Panasonic nor to any of my Pentax K or Tamron lenses. I wonder what makes the cheaper m42 adapters for Pentax more prone to sticking than the official one? I would have thought that most of the cheaper clones were made in the same Chinese factories?
Agreed. Kind of a "mass-production" thing I would think.
04-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
I have Takumars in the 135 range, the 200/4 and the 300/6.3 that you have in your list. They will all make images but they all need hoods and have veiling flare if pointed against the light. The 300 gives some fringing as purple and green edges show up in areas of edging against the sky.
I have put examples up on the forum showing examples.
Thanks for advice and the pictures Arjay Bee.

---------- Post added 04-08-14 at 08:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The term 'macro' is used to cover a lot of different things. Without getting too technical one common definition is a magnification of at least 1:1 meaning the size of the subject on the sensor is the same as it is in real life. So you can shoot small insects @ 1:1 but if you want to shoot a large flower and get it all in the image then by that definition it's not macro, but perhaps close focused, with a magnification of maybe 1:4 or 1:5. I've found 100mm to be more than enough for most things I want to shoot @ high magnification but it really depends on what you want to take pictures of.

Here is an article that might help: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macr...lose-work.html
Thank you for your clarification Jatrax. I meant close focus not macro. I looked at the link you posted and it is very helpful.

04-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the TeleTakumar 200 f5.6 which by some accounts in the review section is better than the 200 f4. It certainly is small, dare I even say "cute." Mine came w/ a Pentax adapter. It's not an original Pentax one, but it appears to be from the pre-ebay days made in England rather than China. Does infinity focus. Usually I screw out the lens and then can just use my fingernail to release the clip and take out the adapter.
As for macro, I have a apochromatic macro lens (a 49mm screw on to the front filter deal; it's not one of those closeup lens/filters), and with it I can get decent 1:1 macro using the TeleTak. Here's an example shot w/ my K-30, handheld at f8
04-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
To be fair, even an unmodified infinity focus adapter isn't light tight with some lenses. If I leave the lens cap on my Industar 50-2 I can get something to show up with a long exposure time pointed at a light source. Not really an issue in actual use though.
So true! The Industar has a narrow base, right? One of the things on my "I am curious" list for today is to take my Jupiter-9 out into the midday sun and see if the adapter leaks light.

Steve

---------- Post added 04-10-14 at 08:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Many of the old M's are better and about the same cost as the m42s
This is so often true.

Steve

---------- Post added 04-10-14 at 08:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
For drilling I use a teleconverter mount as a guide.
I have found that the final position of the lens relative to the body varies by both lens and body depending on how the threads were cut. Even my two genuine Pentax adapters are different in that regards. Any drilling/notching would be specific to the adapter mated to the lens.

Steve

---------- Post added 04-10-14 at 08:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by matt_not_andrew Quote
The full explanation is rather lengthy, but consider:
  • Your MFT adapters adapt on to rather than into the body mount. As a result, they are able to use the normal lock mechanism in much the same way as a flanged M42/K-mount adapter.
  • Infinity focus M42/K-mount adapters, since they fit into the body mount, rely on a small metal tab/spring to lock the adapter to the mount. It is the shape and position of this spring in the mount that apparently contributes to the removal issues.
  • On close examination, the knock-off M42/K-mount adapters differ from the genuine in the size, shape, and machining of the mount tabs as well as the positioning of the lock spring. The original has a mix of filet and square cut ends for the mount tabs while the knock-offs are filet throughout. On some examples this results in a slight over-rotation of the adapter in the mount resulting in the lock spring not being where it is supposed to be.
  • The genuine adapter will sit quite loose in the mount when a lens is not attached and are easy to remove. The brand-x units typically have much less play and usually require the supplied tool.
More than you ever wanted to know, eh?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-10-2014 at 08:48 AM.
04-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
So true! The Industar has a narrow base, right? One of the things on my "I am curious" list for today is to take my Jupiter-9 out into the midday sun and see if the adapter leaks light.
Yeah, the Industar doesn't cover the camera's mount. I think it is mostly leaking from the slots for the clip. I thought about trying to adjust it to reach infinity with the flanged adapter, but I don't think there is enough room in the little thing.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have found that the final position of the lens relative to the body varies by both lens and body depending on how the threads were cut. Even my two genuine Pentax adapters are different in that regards. Any drilling/notching would be specific to the adapter mated to the lens.
That is why I use the cheap adapters, they go on and never come off. I also don't turn them all the way to the stop on the teleconverter mount, so there is a few degrees of error allowed just like native K mounts.