Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

how easy/ feasible to mount m42 lens to k-30?

Hi all,
I am looking at purchasing a Takumar M42 lens to mount to my K-30. I haven't tried to mount a M42 lens before so naturally I have a lot of questions. I would appreciate any input. The purpose for the Takumar M42 lens is to use for macro photography with extension tube set, and to use for other shots like portraits, landscapes, etc.
My questions are: How easy is it to put on and remove a M42 lens to K mount adapter on a K-30 ? What is the best place to buy a M42 to K mount adapter, and what brand would you recommend ? ( I am leaning toward a third party lens adapter since it would be cheaper than a Pentax adapter) I am also looking at purchasing a M-42 extension tube set to use for "macro" photography. I wouldn't need to buy an adapter for the M-42 extension tube set, correct?

Also, if I could get your input on the different lenses I am looking at purchasing. As mentioned before the lens would be used for macro photography with extension tubes and also for other shots like portraits, landscapes, bird watching, etc. What would be the ideal focal length for these purposes ? All the lenses listed below have solid reviews from this forum and other sites, so I am in a quandary as to which lens to purchase.

1. Pentax Takumar 200mm f3.5 (M-42 mount)

2. Pentax Super Takumar 200mm f4 ( M-42 mount)

3.Pentax Tele Takumar 200mm f5.6 Preset (M-42 mount)

4. Pentax Super Takumar 135mm f2.5 ( I already have a Pentax M 135mm 3.5 (K mount) )

5. Pentax Tele Takumar 300mm f6.3 Preset for Pentax M42

6. Pentax Tele Takumar 400mm f5.6 M42

Thanks again for your input and sorry for the long post.

04-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Get a cheap flanged adapter and put on the M42 extension tubes, it is the most convenient adapter and infinity focus is not a concern in that situation. It will mount and lock just like a K mount.

For situations where you need infinity focus and you won't be switching between K and M42 lenses the official Pentax adapter is the best. If you use them as intended the cheap infinity focus ones get stuck in the camera. You are supposed to leave the adapter in the camera, it essentially becomes a screwmount camera.

I switch between M42 and K often, what I did was buy a bunch of cheap infinity focus adapters and removed the clips, then I tightened them onto the lens and leave them there. Then I drilled a small hole in the lens that allows the K mount's lock pin to lock the lens in place. Then they mount just like a K mount.
04-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by t.manning Quote
I am leaning toward a third party lens adapter since it would be cheaper than a Pentax adapter
I would suggest you just spend the money and get the official Pentax one. It is more costly but it always works. Some of the third party ones are fine, but manufacturing is sloppy and some do not work well. Some even get stuck on the camera causing problems.

How easy is it to put on and remove a M42 lens to K mount adapter on a K-30
Only speaking of the OEM one, very simple. Just insert it into the camera and turn to lock, just like a lens. Then thread the lens onto the camera. To take off, just reverse the process.

I wouldn't need to buy an adapter for the M-42 extension tube set, correct?
No the adapter goes into the camera mount so anything M42 after that just threads together.

All the lenses listed below have solid reviews from this forum and other sites, so I am in a quandary as to which lens to purchase.
Most of the good Takumars are going to get good reviews, they are well made quality lenses. As to which one? Well most of those you list seem much too long for portraits and landscapes or even macro. Not that they cannot be used for those purposes but generally portraits are going to be 70 to 135mm, landscapes less than 70mm although really depends on what you want to shoot. Macro can be anything but generally 100mm is considered a good focal length.
04-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi all,
I am looking at purchasing a Takumar M42 lens to mount to my K-30. I haven't tried to mount a M42 lens before so naturally I have a lot of questions. I would appreciate any input. The purpose for the Takumar M42 lens is to use for macro photography with extension tube set, and to use for other shots like portraits, landscapes, etc.
My questions are: How easy is it to put on and remove a M42 lens to K mount adapter on a K-30 ? What is the best place to buy a M42 to K mount adapter, and what brand would you recommend ? ( I am leaning toward a third party lens adapter since it would be cheaper than a Pentax adapter) I am also looking at purchasing a M-42 extension tube set to use for "macro" photography. I wouldn't need to buy an adapter for the M-42 extension tube set, correct?

Also, if I could get your input on the different lenses I am looking at purchasing. As mentioned before the lens would be used for macro photography with extension tubes and also for other shots like portraits, landscapes, bird watching, etc. What would be the ideal focal length for these purposes ? All the lenses listed below have solid reviews from this forum and other sites, so I am in a quandary as to which lens to purchase.

1. Pentax Takumar 200mm f3.5 (M-42 mount)

2. Pentax Super Takumar 200mm f4 ( M-42 mount)

3.Pentax Tele Takumar 200mm f5.6 Preset (M-42 mount)

4. Pentax Super Takumar 135mm f2.5 ( I already have a Pentax M 135mm 3.5 (K mount) )

5. Pentax Tele Takumar 300mm f6.3 Preset for Pentax M42

6. Pentax Tele Takumar 400mm f5.6 M42

Thanks again for your input and sorry for the long post.
It's pretty easy Here's the guide:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Nothing beats the Pentax adapter, so if you plan on using a lot of M42, it's a worthy investment IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Only speaking of the OEM one, very simple. Just insert it into the camera and turn to lock, just like a lens. Then thread the lens onto the camera. To take off, just reverse the process.
...or thread on to the lens or tube and mount the combination to the body as with a native K-mount lens. Both methods work and both can be found in the various Pentax user guides out there. I find it easier to spin the adapter onto the lens, particular with the larger telephoto lenses.

In regards to the types of adapters. As noted above, the flanged adapters are dirt cheap and work well for use with extension tubes and bellows. They do not work well if you need infinity focus.

It is with the non-flanged adapters that things get sticky. Those always allow infinity focus, but the non-Pentax (brand-X) adapters can be problematic. The most common issue is the adapter becoming stuck on the camera.* The work-around is to remove the small retention spring. This allows for easy removal, but also allows the adapter to rotate freely in the mount (not locked on the camera). Some users have drilled or notched the base of their lens to engage the K-mount lock pin as an additional work-around. There are also reported issues with over-rotation in the mount, poor materials, and (in a recent thread) inadequate seating onto the lens threads.

So, what about the official Pentax unit? They always work. The rub is that they are often expensive and even more often, very difficult to obtain. Other options might include the SRB Griturn adapter from Britain. At last report they were made by SRB in Britain, have an excellent reputation and are not too expensive.

Pentax M42 adaptor|M42 lens| Pentax K

Good luck and enjoy exploring the world of M42 glass. It is truly worth the effort.

Steve

* I learned the hard way in regards to brand-X (in this case Bower) adapters. It took me almost three hours of fiddling to get it off my camera. I actually had the Dremel tool handy to cut it out of the body, but fortunately did not have to take that drastic action.
04-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you do have a flanged adapter you can probably take it to a belt sander and thin it down. I bought a non-flanged version from China that was too thick. It sanded down easily.
04-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
If you do have a flanged adapter you can probably take it to a belt sander and thin it down.
The flanged ones are rather thick, not just a bit over like your non-flanged one. You could probably grind it down but the cost of the belt would exceed buying a new China one. And when you were done, no guarantee that it would fit anymore. I have a flanged one I use on my bellows. I don't think it would work after you ground the flange off. YMMV

04-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And when you were done, no guarantee that it would fit anymore.
...or be light-tight and it will still not attain infinity focus.

Steve
04-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...or be light-tight and it will still not attain infinity focus.
To be fair, even an unmodified infinity focus adapter isn't light tight with some lenses. If I leave the lens cap on my Industar 50-2 I can get something to show up with a long exposure time pointed at a light source. Not really an issue in actual use though.
04-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Get a cheap flanged adapter and put on the M42 extension tubes, it is the most convenient adapter and infinity focus is not a concern in that situation. It will mount and lock just like a K mount.

For situations where you need infinity focus and you won't be switching between K and M42 lenses the official Pentax adapter is the best. If you use them as intended the cheap infinity focus ones get stuck in the camera. You are supposed to leave the adapter in the camera, it essentially becomes a screwmount camera.

I switch between M42 and K often, what I did was buy a bunch of cheap infinity focus adapters and removed the clips, then I tightened them onto the lens and leave them there. Then I drilled a small hole in the lens that allows the K mount's lock pin to lock the lens in place. Then they mount just like a K mount.
Thanks Elliot for your advice. I anticipate that I would switch between the k mount and M42 lens quite frequently. Your suggestion about taking the cheap infinity focus adapter, removing the clips, and tightening them onto the lens is quite ingenious. However, I am not quite comfortable with having to drill into a lens to allow the k mounts lock pin to lock the lens into place.
04-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Some lenses stay on fine by friction, I haven't drilled all of mine.

For drilling I use a teleconverter mount as a guide.
04-06-2014, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks Elliot for your advice. I anticipate that I would switch between the k mount and M42 lens quite frequently. Your suggestion about taking the cheap infinity focus adapter, removing the clips, and tightening them onto the lens is quite ingenious. However, I am not quite comfortable with having to drill into a lens to allow the k mounts lock pin to lock the lens into place.
Some of the rear flanges on the m42's I had were too small to reach the locking pin on the body so drilling was not an option. I still mounted a cheap adapter on each lens. I found the SMC M 135 f3.5 sharper than any of my m42 taks, I had a 135 f3.5, 150 f4, 200 f4 super tak's I ended up selling all the m42's I was adapting them to my Q and the M just was a better lens. Many of the old M's are better and about the same cost as the m42s
04-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
I would suggest you just spend the money and get the official Pentax one. It is more costly but it always works. Some of the third party ones are fine, but manufacturing is sloppy and some do not work well. Some even get stuck on the camera causing problems.

No the adapter goes into the camera mount so anything M42 after that just threads together.

Most of the good Takumars are going to get good reviews, they are well made quality lenses. As to which one? Well most of those you list seem much too long for portraits and landscapes or even macro. Not that they cannot be used for those purposes but generally portraits are going to be 70 to 135mm, landscapes less than 70mm although really depends on what you want to shoot. Macro can be anything but generally 100mm is considered a good focal length.
Thank you very much Jatrax for your valuable advice. I will look into getting an official Pentax adapter. I will definitely look into the OEM adapter since I will be switching lenses frequently. Thank you for the clarification in regards to my question on whether the M42 extension tubes needed an adapter. I figured several of the lenses would be to long for landscapes, portraits, I didn't realize though that the typical length for macro is generally 100mm. On the 300mm and 400m I was going to use them for bird watching. Do you think a 200mm Takumar with extension tubes would produce decent macro capability?

Thanks again.

---------- Post added 04-06-14 at 08:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's pretty easy Here's the guide:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Nothing beats the Pentax adapter, so if you plan on using a lot of M42, it's a worthy investment IMO.
Thanks Adam for the link on how to use/ meter manual & M42 lenses. I already read the article found it very informative and useful. I plan on using a official Pentax adapter. Do you happen to know if OEM adapters are widely available ?

---------- Post added 04-06-14 at 08:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...or thread on to the lens or tube and mount the combination to the body as with a native K-mount lens. Both methods work and both can be found in the various Pentax user guides out there. I find it easier to spin the adapter onto the lens, particular with the larger telephoto lenses.

In regards to the types of adapters. As noted above, the flanged adapters are dirt cheap and work well for use with extension tubes and bellows. They do not work well if you need infinity focus.

It is with the non-flanged adapters that things get sticky. Those always allow infinity focus, but the non-Pentax (brand-X) adapters can be problematic. The most common issue is the adapter becoming stuck on the camera.* The work-around is to remove the small retention spring. This allows for easy removal, but also allows the adapter to rotate freely in the mount (not locked on the camera). Some users have drilled or notched the base of their lens to engage the K-mount lock pin as an additional work-around. There are also reported issues with over-rotation in the mount, poor materials, and (in a recent thread) inadequate seating onto the lens threads.

So, what about the official Pentax unit? They always work. The rub is that they are often expensive and even more often, very difficult to obtain. Other options might include the SRB Griturn adapter from Britain. At last report they were made by SRB in Britain, have an excellent reputation and are not too expensive.

Pentax M42 adaptor|M42 lens| Pentax K

Good luck and enjoy exploring the world of M42 glass. It is truly worth the effort.

Steve

* I learned the hard way in regards to brand-X (in this case Bower) adapters. It took me almost three hours of fiddling to get it off my camera. I actually had the Dremel tool handy to cut it out of the body, but fortunately did not have to take that drastic action.
Thanks stevebrot for the helpful information. As I mentioned previously I am not comfortable adjusting parts that will go on my camera and possibly damage something (even cheap non-flanged adapters). I will look into the SRB Griturn adapter from Britain, though if worse comes to worse I might just buy an official Pentax adapter if I can find one.

---------- Post added 04-06-14 at 08:32 PM ----------

Thanks 6BQ5 for the tip. I unfortunately don't have a flanged adapter I could sand down.

---------- Post added 04-06-14 at 08:33 PM ----------

The flanged ones are rather thick, not just a bit over like your non-flanged one. You could probably grind it down but the cost of the belt would exceed buying a new China one. And when you were done, no guarantee that it would fit anymore. I have a flanged one I use on my bellows. I don't think it would work after you ground the flange off. YMMV
That is a good point Jatrax .

---------- Post added 04-06-14 at 08:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Some lenses stay on fine by friction, I haven't drilled all of mine.

For drilling I use a teleconverter mount as a guide.
Isn't it kind of risky though anticipating the lens will stay on by friction ? What steps did you take to determine the lens would stay on by friction? How you found that some brands of lens or specific length stay on via friction better than others ?

Thanks

---------- Post added 04-06-14 at 08:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Some of the rear flanges on the m42's I had were too small to reach the locking pin on the body so drilling was not an option. I still mounted a cheap adapter on each lens. I found the SMC M 135 f3.5 sharper than any of my m42 taks, I had a 135 f3.5, 150 f4, 200 f4 super tak's I ended up selling all the m42's I was adapting them to my Q and the M just was a better lens. Many of the old M's are better and about the same cost as the m42s
That is good to know hnikesch. I have used my Pentax 135mm 3.5 several times and have been thoroughly pleased with the results.
04-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have Takumars in the 135 range, the 200/4 and the 300/6.3 that you have in your list. They will all make images but they all need hoods and have veiling flare if pointed against the light. The 300 gives some fringing as purple and green edges show up in areas of edging against the sky.
I have put examples up on the forum showing examples.
04-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you think a 200mm Takumar with extension tubes would produce decent macro capability?
The term 'macro' is used to cover a lot of different things. Without getting too technical one common definition is a magnification of at least 1:1 meaning the size of the subject on the sensor is the same as it is in real life. So you can shoot small insects @ 1:1 but if you want to shoot a large flower and get it all in the image then by that definition it's not macro, but perhaps close focused, with a magnification of maybe 1:4 or 1:5. I've found 100mm to be more than enough for most things I want to shoot @ high magnification but it really depends on what you want to take pictures of.

Here is an article that might help: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macr...lose-work.html