Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Copy *.bin file to root directory of SD card. Put into K30. Go to firmware upgrade menu. Press the right arrow button to select firmware. Inside, it tells you the original version as well as the latest version and you need to select cancel or update.Once completed, the camera shuts down.

Done!

04-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #17
Site Supporter

I suspect he downloaded the wrong update?
04-08-2014, 04:49 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
I suspect he downloaded the wrong update?
I don't think so. I deleted the previous updates from my computer and even checked to confirm that the memory card the correct file on it. But there could be complications with the file itself. The Ricoh Pentax page insists the file is self-extracting and that the file I see is, in fact, the actual update file. But, just to make sure, I clicked on it anyway to see if anything would unzip. And the file was simply archived by my iMac. Nothing unzipped. I was busy last night. Maybe I really should try the Windows file just for kicks.
04-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #19
Site Supporter

that's the problem you have not unzipped it, So go to a windows computer and unzip it and then copy it to the root directory that is by itself not in a folder and you will be ok

04-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #20
Pentaxian

hat's the problem you have not unzipped it, So go to a windows computer and unzip it and then copy it to the root directory that is by itself not in a folder and you will be ok
OSX will natively unzip. Depending on the browser and the configuration of the browser, zip file might be extracted automatically. The filename that the OP mentions in his first few posts is the one of the extracted *.bin file (fwdc215b.bin). The zip file has a different name (k30v106.zip). Also, he did mention updating two other cameras minutes before running into issues with his K-30... Every firmware from pentax comes inside a zip file.

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
The Ricoh Pentax page insists the file is self-extracting
By self-extracting they mean you don't need a special program to access the content (like you'd get with a *.rar for example). The Windows version is the same file only made as a self-extracting (*.exe) because some older Windows machine may not support natively *.zip files. I suspect you're using Safari and the default action for *.zip files is "extract" and not only download. It's easy to check... go download a firmware again, once done, if the file in your download folder is called fwdc215b, it is the update file you'll need to copy to the SD card (automatically extracted by your browser)... If the file is called k30v106, you need to double click on it and it will extract the *.bin file in the same folder. You could also hit COMMAND+i on the file you believe to be the update and make sure that the file type is *.bin (MacBinary Archive)
04-09-2014, 05:41 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Okay, I've been a bit lazy and haven't updated the firmware to the latest versions until today. I just successfully updated my K-5 and K-01 without a problem. But it just doesn't seem to be happening with my K-30.

I successfully downloaded file fwdc215b to my computer (a Mac) and then transferred it to a SDHC card that was formatted in the camera. I properly ejected the card from the computer, installed it in the camera and turned the camera on. But when I go to setup tab and firmware option in the menu, it shows the camera has firmware 1.00 (yes, I've been bad with the K30, the camera I use the least often) and there is no option to update to a new version.

I've tried reformatting the card and going through this procedure five times. I have downloaded the file from both the link on Pentax Forums and directly from the Ricoh Pentax site. And, yes, I used the Mac version. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?
Are you sure you have downloaded the update for the MAC?

Are you sure that you did not place the the .bin file into the DCIM file?

Using Windows I:

Download the firmware to the desktop

Insert the camera card into the reader and select it like you would a drive make sure it's not opening the DCIM file.

Open the Downloaded firmware and drag the .bin file to the SD card (which windows recognizes as a drive).

After closing the SD Card remove it and place it back in the camera, start the camera and move to the firmware menu option- Where I now see the updated firmware and using the 4-way controller select the option to install.
04-09-2014, 06:35 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Pentax could be clearer with the procedures. I haven't worked it on a Mac, but even the Windows process seems a bit convoluted. Not that I've really had a problem...
04-09-2014, 06:56 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Pentax could be clearer with the procedures. I haven't worked it on a Mac, but even the Windows process seems a bit convoluted. Not that I've really had a problem...
Did mine last week

It's a compressed binary file.

What's convoluted?

04-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No guys, thanks for the input but I didn't copy the file into the DCIM folder. What's more, I've been able to confirm that the file fwdc215b.bin is on the memory card, which was formatted in the camera. And I've managed to update both my K-5 and K-01 just fine (and, yes, the K-5 firmware update procedure is different but the K-01 procedure is the same). What's more, I run into the same problem whether I try it on my Mac at home or Windows PC at work (yes, I'm using the correct file version for each platform). And I've tried it with more than one memory card - all Sandisk Extreme Pros. I've been in touch with both Pentax support and C.R.I.S. and they both think there's an issue with the camera. The K-30 is still under warranty so I'm going to send it in. I still have my K-5 and K-01 while it's away. I'll let you know what the upshot is, just in case it can help anyone down the road.
04-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #25
Site Supporter

do the earlier updates first.
04-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #26
Pentaxian

do the earlier updates first.
Already suggested and previous firmware are nowhere to be found.
04-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Already suggested and previous firmware are nowhere to be found.
Pentax support should be able to send you the files, or unpublicised links to them.
04-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #28
Site Supporter

someone out there must have a previous update

---------- Post added 04-09-14 at 08:30 PM ----------

use this link for version 1.04 good luck Firmware Update Software for K-30 | Software Downloads?RICOH IMAGING CANADA
04-11-2014, 06:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I just did mine, but I don't see the "completed" message. It was flashing "Loading" for a minute or two, now I just have a black screen. I see someone else posted elsewhere that they saw
the same thing.

How long should I wait before I switch the camera off to see if the update was successful ?

---------- Post added 04-11-2014 at 10:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
How long should I wait before I switch the camera off to see if the update was successful ?
Nevermind. I waited a while and then just switched it off. All good, FW update was successful.

Cheers
04-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
I just did mine, but I don't see the "completed" message. It was flashing "Loading" for a minute or two, now I just have a black screen.
You took your eyes off it, Arkav.

As per the instructions, it would have said 'Completed' after 'Loading' then turned itself off to save battery power.