Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah I've been caught by that previously. If you miss the message then it freaks you out wondering how long to wait, and it's hung, and if it's now ruined etc.
Then you turn the power off and back on and it's all done fine

04-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Yeah I've been caught by that previously. If you miss the message then it freaks you out wondering how long to wait, and it's hung, and if it's now ruined etc.
It's one more step, but the routine should ask the user to acknowledge success with a press of OK before shutting down or restarting.
04-12-2014, 05:48 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
The fact that they warn you to make sure the battery is fully charged before upgrading leads you to think it will take a while. I don't think this took more than about a minute. I had the camera sitting next to my
computer monitor so I could see the display out of the corner of my eye. The "completed" message must have flashed very briefly. They could have flashed the whole display white/black a couple of times to
get your attention before flashing completed.

My previous camera was a K200D. AFAIK, they only ever issued one FW update for that one, and it was years after the camera came out. I never bothered to install it, so this was my first
experience upgrading FW on a Pentax DSLR.
04-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
The fact that they warn you to make sure the battery is fully charged before upgrading leads you to think it will take a while.
It's actually not indicative of the time taken, more precaution.

Once firmware has been tested properly, about the only way it fails is a power outage, after which we now have an expensive brick.

I never liked firmware upgrades on the motherboards of desktop computers for that reason - they really should be done with a UPS in front of the mains supply.

At least cameras and notebooks have batteries.

05-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the K-30 is back from C.R.I.S and it's working fine. They receipt included in the box wasn't very specific. But they reflashed the camera and then updated the firmware. They also cleaned and inspected the K-30 and made sure everything was within factory specs. No charge other than my one-way shipping via UPS. Still not sure what the exact issue was.