Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #1

k-500 green button problem

Hello. I recently bought my camera around 2 months or so ago but problem arose recently. Whenever I press the green button to meter in manual mode, it releases the shutter. It never done this before. I was wonder if anyone else has experienced this. I'm hoping I messed with the settings but I'm sure my camera is broken. Thanks.

04-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you certain it is releasing the shutter, or is it just stopping the lens down? Have you recently changed from digital preview to optical preview? The latter results in the lens aperture stopping down physically, and it sounds as if the shutter is running.
04-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by warpspeeeeed Quote
Hello. I recently bought my camera around 2 months or so ago but problem arose recently. Whenever I press the green button to meter in manual mode, it releases the shutter. It never done this before. I was wonder if anyone else has experienced this. I'm hoping I messed with the settings but I'm sure my camera is broken. Thanks.
Sounds like you need to set the green button to Tv shift:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
Well, the shutter is releasing but not taking any photos. I am using a m42 lens so I don't believe it's able to stop down physically. Before, I press the green button in live view mode to meter in manual because it can't do through the lens metering. It never did anything to the shutter so I'm just very confused. I don't believe I touched any settings so it makes me believe it's software or hardware since it sometimes freezes the camera when the shutter releases part way after pressing the green button. Just disappointed since I only had this camera for 2 months and it's already bugging up.

---------- Post added 04-07-14 at 09:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's on tv shift. The only time it doesn't release the shutter is if I set the green button to nothing. Very weird problem.

04-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

It is probably attempting to stop down the lens which is the sound you hear (a lever moves inside the camera). It doesn't know that the lens isn't a K or M lens that would need to be stopped down.

It is metering the scene - you should see the shutter speed be set to match the light level. As you wrote, no photo is taken.

Make sure that you're in manual focus mode, otherwise the shutter may "freeze" in case the image is out of focus.
04-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Does it do anything if you use the green button with no lens mounted?
04-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Does it do anything if you use the green button with no lens mounted?
No shutter release without the lens on.

04-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by warpspeeeeed Quote
No shutter release without the lens on.
I'm thinking you're hearing the stop down lever moving. The camera should be silent when the green button is pressed and the contacts are not shorted, M42 lenses usually have anodized mounts and should not be shorting the contacts. What lens and adapter are you using?

With M and K series lenses all of the contacts are shorted, so it assumes it has control of the aperture lever. Do you have any M or K series lenses? Is the sound the same as you are hearing with the M42 lens?
04-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I'm thinking you're hearing the stop down lever moving. The camera should be silent when the green button is pressed and the contacts are not shorted, M42 lenses usually have anodized mounts and should not be shorting the contacts. What lens and adapter are you using?

With M and K series lenses all of the contacts are shorted, so it assumes it has control of the aperture lever. Do you have any M or K series lenses? Is the sound the same as you are hearing with the M42 lens?
I'm using a takumar 50mm f1.4 so a m42 lens with pentax brand adapter. I've been using this lens and adapter since I bought the camera and it never tried to move the stop down lever. It always just meter without any noise or movement of parts. It's firing the shutter like I'm taking a photo. I see the viewfinder blink like I took a photo.

---------- Post added 04-07-14 at 09:52 PM ----------

Okay I think I figured it out. I've been tightening my lens down a little bit tighter recently so that the aperture number is on top of the camera. When I do this, I'm guessing it's shorting the contacts. So I have to loosen it slightly for it to stop doing what its doing. Now the thumb lever for manual/auto on the lens is covered by a part of the camera but it's working like it did before.

Is it suppose to stop down with a m42 lens or not? I prefer to have the lens tightened so the aperture number is on top and the manual/auto switch is assessable.
04-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no mechanism in your camera to stop down an M42 lens. The lens is stopped down by a pin that is pushed out from within the camera, and no K mount camera has space for the push bar.