Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #1

K-30 flash and weather sealing

I have bought at second hand K-30-- the flash seems not to sit flush with the body-- its 95% but not quit there. It clicks in but there is some bounce.

Is this normal with the K-30

Is it going to affect weather sealing?

Many thanks for you help!

04-11-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It should be flush. Sounds like the camera may have gotten a bump!

With that said, the weather sealing should still work as the the seals are on the inside.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-11-2014, 04:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your response. I tried a video but it was in the wrong format, so I have attached some photographs to show you the situation. Its 2mm gap really. I'd be concerned if this was dropped. What do you think, definitely are sign or trauma or pentax QC issue?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FS62  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FS62  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-FS62  Photo 
04-11-2014, 05:44 AM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ubjy Quote
Thanks for your response. I tried a video but it was in the wrong format, so I have attached some photographs to show you the situation. Its 2mm gap really. I'd be concerned if this was dropped. What do you think, definitely are sign or trauma or pentax QC issue?
I fumbled my K20 onto a table from about a foot, right on the flash housing. It now closes, but like yours, it's not flush. There's also a small crack on the side of the lens housing trim (see pic). The flash still works, the red focus square is slightly off center, not sure if it's still weather proof, but it otherwise works fine. You may want to give you K30 a closer look.

Last edited by Al_Kahollick; 08-31-2014 at 07:02 AM.
04-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
Wow! Thank your for your response. I wish I bought a new camera now. Honestly, big mistake buying second hand. Bought from a reputable dealer was told it was in 9+ condition.

I can't see a crack. I have thoroughly looked at it.Any K-30 users who can tell me if this is known problem with the K-30, with the flash not sitting flush?
04-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
Banned

It's a bit hard to see, but my K30 isn't quite flush either, it's a bit off. Camera is 15 months old and I really don't use the flash much, perhaps yours is a bit loose from usage.
Hope this helps you feel better about your purchase!

Last edited by Al_Kahollick; 08-31-2014 at 07:02 AM.
04-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank AL--well I just got totally put off used stuff! I bought a discounted new K-30, as I was looking for a kit lens anyway. Its was only about 89 quid more than used body only. I'm sending the used one back given that it may have been dropped!

I will keep and eye on the flash, I don't like having things out of place...build quality otherwise is fantastic.
04-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
Forum Member

Mine often sticks (won't pop up when button pressed), but easily raisable by tugging on it a bit.

04-23-2014, 11:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
there's supposed to be a slight gap to make sure the flash can be pushed down far enough for the little hook to easily click into place. there's a little silver screw on the flash that might be there to adjust the gap, but i haven't tried it.
04-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
there's supposed to be a slight gap to make sure the flash can be pushed down far enough for the little hook to easily click into place. there's a little silver screw on the flash that might be there to adjust the gap, but i haven't tried it.
I adjusted my silver screw so it doesn't move around when latched, was pretty simple.
09-26-2015, 04:46 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I adjusted my silver screw so it doesn't move around when latched, was pretty simple.
I use hexagon screw driver
0.7H clock wise rotate
Can fix problem
09-26-2015, 08:50 AM   #12
Forum Member

"0.7 Hours clockwise" - That's pretty precise! That would be 42 "minutes" in "Clock measurement" or 21 (which is also 1260 "minutes") in angular measurement, meaning there's 30 "minutes" of angle in every "minute" of clock time! I never thought a/b that calculation before, sorry, but your post awakened my inner nerd! What I find interesting these days is how many ppl. under say 25 struggle to read an analog clock, since they seem to be becoming somewhat rare now!
09-27-2015, 04:42 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by kodai84 Quote
"0.7 Hours clockwise" - That's pretty precise! That would be 42 "minutes" in "Clock measurement" or 21 (which is also 1260 "minutes") in angular measurement, meaning there's 30 "minutes" of angle in every "minute" of clock time! I never thought a/b that calculation before, sorry, but your post awakened my inner nerd! What I find interesting these days is how many ppl. under say 25 struggle to read an analog clock, since they seem to be becoming somewhat rare now!
"0.7H" is the specification of tool that use for adjustment the screw.
0.7H = 0.7 mm. Hexagon screw driver
You can find in google
Sorry for my poor skill english.

Last edited by dasboot88; 09-27-2015 at 07:22 AM.