Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Odd shutter speed issue?

I've only just started to notice this issue with my K-30 and the 1.06 firmware. When I shoot, it has started to jack up the shutter speed (just now it went from 1/60 to 1/500 without any input, then back to 1/60 the next shot)

Is this a bug, or am I just missing something?

04-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanD63 Quote
I've only just started to notice this issue with my K-30 and the 1.06 firmware. When I shoot, it has started to jack up the shutter speed (just now it went from 1/60 to 1/500 without any input, then back to 1/60 the next shot)

Is this a bug, or am I just missing something?
Are you using the flash?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you using the flash?
No... I just noticed the issue... It was set to do the exposure bracketing thing, but I saw it as the continuous mode. (My go-to) I'm blind.
04-17-2014, 05:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
what mode is your camera in?

04-17-2014, 05:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
what mode is your camera in?
It's in Manual mode. I figured out that it was set to bracket exposures, but now I'm confused, as I thought exposure bracketing set the shutter speed to 3 different values, rather than switching between two... Hmm....
04-17-2014, 06:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

its like for an instant its taking a reading off different subjects different lighting as if its in AV mode.
does the same thing happen in TV mode or only in M?
04-17-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanD63 Quote
as I thought exposure bracketing set the shutter speed to 3 different values
I don't believe that's correct. On my K-30, with camera set to M mode, bracketing doesn't change the shutter speed at all. It takes three shots, each at a different EV value but shutter speed remains the same for all three shots.
04-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not sure. I'll have to test when I get home. (I'm out with a film body today.)

I'll have test more thoroughly, as I found it strange, only getting two shutter speeds.

04-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I don't believe that's correct. On my K-30, with camera set to M mode, bracketing doesn't change the shutter speed at all. It takes three shots, each at a different EV value but shutter speed remains the same for all three shots.
how can the ev change when everything remains the same?For instance in M mode if u set ur bracketing to start with a correct exposure then underexpose and then overexpose, the camera needs to adjust both aperture and shutter speed in order to do so for the 2nd and 3rd exposure....so i doubt they stay the same

As for the problem you have SpartanD63 also have a look at the EXIF info just to make sure that the shot was taken in M mode depsite what your camera is telling you.just in case the dial might be playing up

Last edited by schnitzer79; 04-17-2014 at 09:05 AM.
04-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I didn't see any change in shutter speed on the ones I checked through EXIFtool, but of each bracketed shot one was underexposed, one was normal, and one was overexposed. Still none had a change in shutter speed. So, I am not entirely sure how bracketing works in what all changes for each shot.
04-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I didn't see any change in shutter speed on the ones I checked through EXIFtool, but of each bracketed shot one was underexposed, one was normal, and one was overexposed. Still none had a change in shutter speed. So, I am not entirely sure how bracketing works in what all changes for each shot.
how about ISO and aperture?it must have changed one of those then.
04-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I went back and checked each shot and the camera did change shutter speed and aperture for each bracketed shot. I just never noticed it before.

QuoteQuote:
just now it went from 1/60 to 1/500 without any input, then back to 1/60 the next shot
Do you have your ISO set to auto instead of you changing it? Mine is always set so I can choose which ISO I want to start out with, then the camera changes it as it sees fit.
04-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mine's always set manually. And now that I'm home, I can't seem to repeat the issue. Perhaps I was inadvertently hitting something to reset the bracketing back to the original value? I'll keep toying with it.
In any case, it seems to be working as it should now...