Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

From K100DS to K50 Finally

Finally decided to upgrade from my trusty K100Ds to a K50.
I miss the top LCD of the K100DS and with the K50, it's kinda annoying that the whole back LCD screen has to remind me of the/my settings all the time.
Once I turn the LCD off, everything is good..but I'm in the habit of always turning off my camera even for a brief moment that I'm not going to use it..so, once I turn it back "on" again, the annoying LCD screen is "on" again and I have to go do three (3) presses just to turn if off again.
Is there a way to permanently turn it off or just hit one (1) button to turn it off permanently?
This is the only quirk that I found on the K50 that I didn't like.
Is there also a way to hit just one (1) button to turn "SR" on or off instead of digging into the menu?
I guess I'm still used to the K100DS wherein there is a dedicated "SR" button and there is also a dedicated top LCD.
Apart from those two (2)..so far..I'm loving the upgrade!

04-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Was really annoyed by the "info" screen always turning "on" so I read through briefly on the owners manual (lol) to find out how to disable the info screen every time I turn it "off" and "on" again.
The great news is, I was able to disable the "info" screen. =)
Most of the info I need is in the viewfinder anyway..and when I need to change anything, just hit the "info" button and most of the changes that are needed to be changed are there.
04-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The SR switch (permanently shows the setting by looking at it) on K100DS was one of the interface features I liked.

How much better is the viewfinder in the K50 for MF than in the K100DS? (That was the main limitation that led me to go to K3, after I got a few minutes to play with a K5 that belonged to someone I met at a social event.) K3 came bundled with a bunch of other nice features that justify the step.
04-19-2014, 12:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think the K-30 and hence K-50 OVF is a bit better than my K100D for MF, not massively so though. However, you do have focus peaking in LV mode, although I see that as mainly a tripod thing as LV is a bit clunky on DSLRs in general.
I did actually put a 45 degree split screen on my K100D to make MF easier - it was very much so for getting 'near enough' focus but I didn't find it capable of getting dead on focus quickly, I think focus peaking is easier.

04-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I never really had any problems with focusing manually on the K100D as I also had the O-ME53 magnifier on it. It not too much o f a magnification but the added viewfinder sticks out in such a way that I don't have to press my eye..hence my nose into the LCD sceen (I'm a lefty).
I never really used the K50 that much yet and haven't compared the viewfinder too much. I did some manual focus on the K50 and it wasn't also difficult for me..at least it looked focused to me and I didn't pixel peep at the photo to make sure that indeed it was in tack sharp focus. It was more of random shots just testing out the new K50 to make sure that everything works.
I bought it bundled with the 18-135 WR athough I was testing it with my Sigma 17-70mm HSM (making sure that it had no focus compatibility issues).
Actually now I do not really know which lens to use as I have redundancy on both except that the DA has a bit of more reach.

---------- Post added 04-20-2014 at 04:40 PM ----------

With the "SR"..it is now more of like two button presses to enable and disable it.
It would actually be nice if there was a firmware update so the the LCD data screen doesn't always come out each time you do a half-press of the shutter button. How I wish the data screen would come out only as an "on demand" thing..more of like, if you need it, you have to press the "info" button then to disable it press the info button again or as it is right now after two seconds it would turn it off...BUT NOT to turn on again every time you press the shutter button half-way. =(
04-20-2014, 10:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
...BUT NOT to turn on again every time you press the shutter button half-way. =(
What if you set up back-button AF and disable the shutter button 1/2 press AF?
I don't have my K-50 until mid week I expect, so can't test this - but it's how I have my K-7 setup and I will defo setup the K-50 the same if possible.
04-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Steve, tried this but even if focus with half-button press is disabled. The button doesn't focus with the half press but the half press is detected and info/data screen still comes up. I believe that you are talking about "enable AF2", right?
04-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I never really had any problems with focusing manually on the K100D as I also had the O-ME53 magnifier on it. It not too much o f a magnification but the added viewfinder sticks out in such a way that I don't have to press my eye..hence my nose into the LCD sceen (I'm a lefty).
I never really used the K50 that much yet and haven't compared the viewfinder too much. I did some manual focus on the K50 and it wasn't also difficult for me..at least it looked focused to me and I didn't pixel peep at the photo to make sure that indeed it was in tack sharp focus. It was more of random shots just testing out the new K50 to make sure that everything works.
I bought it bundled with the 18-135 WR athough I was testing it with my Sigma 17-70mm HSM (making sure that it had no focus compatibility issues).
Actually now I do not really know which lens to use as I have redundancy on both except that the DA has a bit of more reach.

---------- Post added 04-20-2014 at 04:40 PM ----------

With the "SR"..it is now more of like two button presses to enable and disable it.
It would actually be nice if there was a firmware update so the the LCD data screen doesn't always come out each time you do a half-press of the shutter button. How I wish the data screen would come out only as an "on demand" thing..more of like, if you need it, you have to press the "info" button then to disable it press the info button again or as it is right now after two seconds it would turn it off...BUT NOT to turn on again every time you press the shutter button half-way. =(
I have my K-30 set up to not show the rear screen at all during shooting. It only comes on when I use the 4-way controller for ISO, WB etc and goes off after when I press OK or half-press the shutter. During shooting I can keep my eye to the VF as the main info is there and the rear LCD stays off. I can even swap between Auto ISO and fixed ISO just using the VF info. There's lots of options buried in the menus, I presume they're much the same on the K-30 and K-50, keep looking! If you get stuck I'll list what I've got selected, I can't remember them all off the top of my head. SR can be left on all the time I reckon, if you use a tripod then the 2 second timer will disable it each shot.

The only things I find annoying about the K-30, considering its cost, after 17 months are:-

No battery meter in the VF.
It takes 1.5sec to start up, also to wake from standby (worse).
Rear LCD on/off should be a single toggle option, or at least available on the Fx/RAW button.

04-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Steve, I forgot about the 2 second timer but thats exactly what I needed it for, to disable it when I place it on a tripod!
I also wrote Ricoh about the constant monitor issue if you don't disable it via the info button.
I wrote them since they had an instructional saying you had to "uncheck" the "guides display" option: K-50 Guide Display (Disable) | Ricoh Imaging Support
This doesn't work for me on my K50 or am I missing something since this action is actually for something else?
They should remedy this with a firmware update.