Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2014, 06:28 AM   #1

Firmware update

My new k30 is running v1.00 firmware - is there any advantage to updating it to v1.6 ? Thank You

04-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
kpl

Photos: Albums
Hi!

From what I can see, there does not seem to be a version 1.6 available for your K-30, however, the change log contains plenty of changes you probably don't want to miss:

Changes to V1.05
  • Correspond to the AF assist light function by white LED light for auto flash unit [AF360FGZII] and [AF540FGZII].
  • Optimized contrast AF when using HD PENTAX-DA Limited series lenses.
  • Improved stability for general performance.
Changes to V1.04
  • Corrected – Unstable performance may rarely occur in firmware version 1.03
Changes to V1.03
  • Corrected – When recording Movies, contrast AF does not work for some lenses in firmware version 1.02.
Changes to V1.02
  • Optimized contrast AF when using [HD PENTAX-DA 560mmF5.6ED AW] lens.
  • Improved stability for general performance.
Changes to V1.01
  • Improved performance of contrast AF
[Source: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.uk/en/Photo-Downloads.html]

In most cases it's a good idea to use the most recent firmware, especially after it's been in the field for a while and there is no sign of newly introduced issues.

Cheers,
kpl

Last edited by kpl; 04-26-2014 at 06:56 AM. Reason: fixed formatting issue of pasted change log
04-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

There are a couple of ways of seeing this. First, if it is not broken, don't fix it. If your camera functions good and you have no issues with it, stick with 1.00.

But, even if the K-30 didn't have any major improvements via firmware (no faster burst rate or new features), all the little "improved stability" fixes, may indeed help. Sometimes they do fix some bugs that aren't yet reported and instead of exposing the problem, they just stick it in "general stuff", this is very common.

A good rule of thumb is to wait a little while before upgrading, to see if major issues arise. I personally wait about a month. I do keep the firmwares current on all my cameras and so far, it has always been beneficial or at least, not making matters worse. The new batch of firmware has been out for a while now and AFAIK it didn't seem to break anything.
04-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also have a brand-new K-30, came with V 1.00 out of hte box. I did the upgrade to V 1.06, the latest, and had no issues with the process. I don't know if it fixed anything since it was about the first thing I did, but I am (generally) happier running the latest released version.

So far it's been working fine with the equally new DA 18-135 and with my old SMC-M 135 prime I tried yesterday

Jim

04-27-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You be the judge;

Digital Cameras by RICOH IMAGING