Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #1

Mirror stuck problem in new Pentax K-50

I am new to photography and thought will start with my first DSLR. After a long research I narrowed down on Pentax as the brand. Though I wanted to go with the K-3 but then I thought why not try the K-50 instead and if I like it I will stick with this brand. I bought a Pentax K-50 from Adorama and I liked the camera. After 3 weeks of very moderate usage the camera failed. While taking a picture the mirror would go up to capture the image, would return partially and get stuck midway. The camera was trying to align the mirror to its correct position but was failing again and again and eventually it hanged. I tried to power it off and even that would not happen. The only option left was to remove the battery. The live view mode however was able to take pictures but still the mirror sounded awkward. It does take great pictures but it still has to work properly. 3 weeks into receiving it new and I have to send it for repairs. Just wanted to check if anyone else also has this problem with their K-50? Sometimes it makes me feel that there is a reason why Canon and Nikon and the big 2 in the camera business. They are not there without a reason. Now I am very skeptical about the camera that I have. Will it work properly after getting repaired for long or in another month I am with the same issue with it. Bad experience to begin with a new brand.

04-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

ALL camera brands have problems from time to time, not just Pentax. Research the other brands and you'll see what I mean. Sometimes stuff just happens, and unfortunately it's your turn I'm sorry to say. Get the camera repaired or exchanged.
04-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Never heard of that problem so it sounds like you got the bad egg of the bunch.

All brands produce some faulty cameras.
Nikon have issued a volountary recall of a production round of a professional model, Canon got pro-level lenses that splits in two and even Leica failed with their super-expensive M9 and had to provide free filters to put on the lenses to counter a design fault.
04-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send it in for repairs after only 3 weeks? If you bought it from Adorama, contact them and ask about exchanging it.

04-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
I will have to send it in for repairs. I have been searching on the web for a similar problem with this model and it seems I am the first one who has it :-)
Anyways I am sending it in for repairs. Let's see how it goes.
04-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #6

I've had problems with my K50 that appear to have rectified themselves; both my memory cards were giving intermittent errors. I updated to the latest firmware, but that didn't fix it. Taking it to a camera shop to show them the problem did, though! It has worked perfectly from the moment I put it in the tech's hands until now. She didn't do anything to fix it, it just refused to perform it's behaviour for her. The problem isn't happening anymore anyways, so for now I'm going to assume there was some debris in the memory card slot that was causing the problem.

A fellow student in my local photo class also had a K50 with problems. His had to go back to Pentax for repairs; it was locking up and the electronic menu system was - for lack of a better term - wonky.

With the only two K50's I've personally laid hands on both having weird issues, I'm thinking maybe the K50 build quality is somewhat lacking. I love the feature set with the camera, but if it doesn't work when you want to use it - well - the features don't much matter, do they?
04-28-2014, 06:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gurpreet_cpq Quote
I will have to send it in for repairs.
According to the Adorama Return Policy, they accept returns up to 30 days. I would exchange the camera rather than wait the time it will take to fix it.

04-29-2014, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #8
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by gurpreet_cpq Quote
I am new to photography and thought will start with my first DSLR. After a long research I narrowed down on Pentax as the brand. Though I wanted to go with the K-3 but then I thought why not try the K-50 instead and if I like it I will stick with this brand. I bought a Pentax K-50 from Adorama and I liked the camera. After 3 weeks of very moderate usage the camera failed. While taking a picture the mirror would go up to capture the image, would return partially and get stuck midway. The camera was trying to align the mirror to its correct position but was failing again and again and eventually it hanged. I tried to power it off and even that would not happen. The only option left was to remove the battery. The live view mode however was able to take pictures but still the mirror sounded awkward. It does take great pictures but it still has to work properly. 3 weeks into receiving it new and I have to send it for repairs. Just wanted to check if anyone else also has this problem with their K-50? Sometimes it makes me feel that there is a reason why Canon and Nikon and the big 2 in the camera business. They are not there without a reason. Now I am very skeptical about the camera that I have. Will it work properly after getting repaired for long or in another month I am with the same issue with it. Bad experience to begin with a new brand.

We can take it back up to 30 days after you received it, so email me directly & I can have a pre-paid label sent for you to return it to us for exchange
04-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

This is not a common known problem with The K50. As others have mentioned every camera Mfg. will have a few defective ones and that does not make it indicative for the camera's Mfg. system as a whole. Take Helen's advice contact her and send it back for exchange. Adorama is great to deal with for that.
11-16-2014, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #10

Same Issue

I've had my K50 for about 3 weeks as well. Just started having the exact same problems... mirror is sticking or dramatically delayed. The auto focus has stopped working and the menu system wouldn't turn off. I couldn't even power off the camera, I had to pull the battery. The issues persisted after pulling the battery. This points to an electronic failure rather than the mirror or shutter. I'm taking mine back to Costco today for an exchange. I like the camera, but this is rather disheartening... Good thing Costco has 90 return.
11-16-2014, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creedicd Quote
I like the camera, but this is rather disheartening... Good thing Costco has 90 return.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Costco is great, though all reputable dealers will accept a return of defective merchandise within the first 30 days and many will do so up to 60 days. If it makes you feel any better, if you had purchased a Nikon your chances would be 1-in-17 that warranty service or replacement would be required. At least that is what Consumer Reports says. I am not sure, but I believe that yours and the OP's are the only reports of this problem with the K-50.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-16-14 at 02:41 PM ----------

BTW...I forgot to add that you can buy a two year extension to your warranty (by Ricoh/Pentax) for less than $20. Both B&H and Adorama sell it and both will ship for free. It is a great deal and worth it, not because the cameras are crummy (they aren't), but because it is dirt cheap.

Steve
11-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JustDisGuy Quote
I'm thinking maybe the K50 build quality is somewhat lacking.
I sure hope this is not the case. I have had my new K50 for a 3 or 4 months and so far it is flawless. Any issues I had were my own.
12-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #13

I was have the same problem with the same camera, but only with the kit lens. Using my other lenses, i never have a problem. The 18-55 wr is the cause in my case.
12-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by adriano perticone Quote
I was have the same problem with the same camera, but only with the kit lens. Using my other lenses, i never have a problem. The 18-55 wr is the cause in my case.
I have the same problem. I bought mine from Adorama as well. And it happens only with 18-55 WR Kit lens. It takes forever to focus and the motor sound is so loud. Eventually it will take a shot and i have no idea at what zoom level it is taking the picture.

More over i mainly use my takumar lenses (manual lenses) and didn't have any such problem.

Will contact Adorama and will see whether they will do anything or else i have to send to Pentax for repair. I bought it mine few months back (definitely more than 30 days). I noticed this issue recently as i never tried to shoot in auto mode and hardly used the kit lenses.!!

And i don't have this problem even in live view. May be ones or twice I was able to take pictures in live mode.tried with 50-200 kit lens as well and still the same issue.

Will contact adorama and will see what their response is going to be.

Last edited by mars76; 12-14-2014 at 08:51 PM.
12-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #15

I opened a case with precision camera for my K-50 and i got 18-135 WR and when i tried it it is focusing fine in auto mode. No sure what to make of this.

It looks like both my kit lenses are the problem. I will try to send the camera and both my kit lenses to them for repair.

Has any one who has focus issues tired lenses other than kit lenses ??