Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Movie mode shutter/mirror

When testing the K-50's movie mode I'm finding that when I press the shutter release to start recording the mirror flips up and the shutter opens, then when I press the shutter release to stop recording it flips down and up again. This makes no sense to me as it's already flipped up when selecting movie mode with the mode dial.
It almost sounds like it's in still capture mode.

The K-7 doesn't do this, pressing the shutter release just silently starts recording.

What have I missed? Is this normal?

04-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter

The K-5 has an option to use either phase detect AF, or contrast detect AF, when initiating video from live view mode. When phase detect is selected, the behavior is similar to what you describe -- the mirror flips down briefly so the AF sensors can do their thing.

Not sure if the K-30 has the same AF options. I suppose you could repeat the test with AF disabled entirely.

In any case, the K-5 doesn't flip the mirror when stopping video, so I can't explain that behavior.
04-29-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry, should have mentioned it does the same in Manual focus mode.
04-30-2014, 05:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Getting slightly worried now.
I mounted the K-50 to a tripod and shot a few random movie clips in the garden.
I had Movie mode set to M and focus to AF.
button press focused then full press started the recording but with the mirror/shutter flip - same when stopping the recording.. BUT on one occasion it silently started recording and silently stopped. I had made no changes except to the Aperture for each clip! So what caused it to suddenly change to silent rec/stop I have no idea. I was unable to get a repeat of this, even immediatly after with the same setting and pointed at the same subject.
So now I'm thinking the K-50 has gremlins in it.

I'm charging the battery atm and will apply the latest firmware to see if that changes anything.

04-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
bump..
No-body?
05-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I loaded the latest firmware, no change.
This is very annoying, I don't like it one bit. There's no reason for it and it seems not to be affecting anyone else, right?
05-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter

It shouldn't be too old yet, hopefully still under warranty? Doesn't sound like the behavior is consistent which might be reason enough to send it in.
05-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Only had it a week.
A clearer response was had on the PU forum where richandfleur suggests this is expected 'normal' behaviour.
Movie mode shutter/mirror actuating on record

05-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Only had it a week.
A clearer response was had on the PU forum where richandfleur suggests this is expected 'normal' behaviour.
Movie mode shutter/mirror actuating on record
Hi again,

As further reading on this I present this link and this link

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm not actually saying it's right, just that for some reason this is how Pentax chose to implement this.

Personally I'm pretty annoyed that Pentax haven't spent a bit more time resolving some of the deficiencies in it's Video mode offering.
Most of the issues presented could be fixed easily by firmware modifications, allowing us to use the stellar hardware and packaging of Pentax that we love for more serious video work than we presently can.
The hardware is all there, and solving these few points wouldn't detract from the stills ability either. When people say get a 'real' video camera they're overlooking the genuine power they have right in front of them already.
05-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
When people say get a 'real' video camera they're overlooking the genuine power they have right in front of them already.
Absolutely spot on.

Thanks for the links re the K-30.
What bugs me the most about this is I did have a silent start/stop once. I was relieved and frustrated all at the same time as I now I know it's possible but I'm blowed if I know what the difference in the settings were when it happened.
05-04-2014, 04:28 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Steve... I don't take videos with my cameras as yet. I wonder though if switching the AF to the back AF/AEL button and turning off the Shutter AF might aleviate the mirror from doing this. Here again I don't know beans about taking vids with my cameras so my line of thinking may be worth squat.
05-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That is how I have it set.
05-05-2014, 06:33 AM   #13

It might have something to do with metering. Have you tried setting your movie exposure to M mode and locking your aperture, shutter speed, white balance and ISO at preset values?
05-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeppers.
05-09-2014, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Success!!!
For reasons only known to Pentax engineers, the shutter/mirror flip on start rec and stop rec does not happen when the aperture is set to F4
Any other aperture and it will flip. No other setting affects this phenomenom. So, for silent start/stop video recording - set aperture to F4.
I'll test some other lenses when I get a chance though my main lens for use on the the K-50 is the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8.

EDIT: For the 18-55mm DA L WR, F3.5 is the magic aperture for silent stop/start movie capture.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 05-09-2014 at 04:45 AM.