Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #1

K30 replacement parts

Hello Pentax community,

Not an avid poster, mostly just a lurker, but I have a question for you all. I dropped my K30, DOH!! Well, the damage was minimal, just the SD card door was cracked in a couple places. It's still functional, but it won't be for much longer, so I'd like to replace it. I was hoping to just purchase a new door and figure out myself how to remove the broken one and install the new one, can't be rocket science right? Problem is, I can't find anywhere that sells replacement parts!?

Can someone guide me here?

Thanks!
Matt

04-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Those parts aren't sold to consumers. Contact a Pentax dealer, they may be able to order them for you.
04-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Those parts aren't sold to consumers. Contact a Pentax dealer, they may be able to order them for you.
Ok, will do. Thanks!
07-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
Just an update, I wasn't able to get the SD door repaired/replaced locally, it needed to be sent to Colorado and getting a specific turnaround time was murky at best... So, I've been searching eBay for parts to no avail and in the meantime my family vacation has arrived, aaaaand, of course the door almost completely fails while I'm away . I've been able to get it secured, but I certainly won't be trying to open it for the rest of this trip (11 more days).

So needless to say I'm very frustrated and I find this sort of product support completely unacceptable. I can't get a $5 dollar part repaired without a significant cost (i can't remember exactly but the minimum repair change I was quoted was over $100), go weeks without my camera, and here I am in a bit of a pinch. As much as I really enjoy the camera, the ability to use vintage lenses and the waterproof options are great, but, I can't help but think that the other two major competitors wouldn't have have "done" this to me. Do any of you more experience Pentaxians have comments or input on my dilemma?

Last edited by jeantarrou; 07-03-2014 at 05:45 PM.
07-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
Banned

Just a guess here, but they probably want to make sure that the job is done correctly to maintain its weather resistance. There could be misaligned seals around / behind the card slot. They'll also likely give it a thorough exam as well as a good cleaning and adjustment. Not sure their competitors would be willing to send you parts either, for similar reasons. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong
07-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

See this thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/2...dividuals.html
07-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
Well, the waterproofing concern is a good point, and with this camera being my first venture into dslr's you opinion probably has more credence than mine.
07-04-2014, 05:20 AM   #8
Banned

I think it's worth sending in, they'll give you a cost once they examine the camera. If it's more than you're willing to pay for the repair, you'll only be charged for return shipping.

A couple of years ago I sent my K20 in for a freeze up problem. As I recall, they got my camera on a Wed. afternoon, changed out the main board, cleaned & adjusted, and had it back to UPS on that Fri. morning. Total time was about 2 weeks, 12 days of which were travel days. Of course, your mileage may vary depending how busy they may or may not be.

07-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeantarrou Quote
I can't help but think that the other two major competitors wouldn't have have "done" this to me.
Are you sure about that comment? It's not personal you know
Also I can tell you that ASUS do not sell parts to PC service centres either (I run a small PC repair business), they insist that their products are sent to their own centres for quality controlled repair, even if it's out of warranty.
Yes, this might be an inconvenience to many people, but so is a broken device.
07-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It may seem vexing to have to send in your camera for repair on a "five dollar" part (are there any parts less than $9.95?) but it is not a very simple repair to replace the SD card door. Just looking at my K-10D body it is obvious that I would have to open the body replace the door. Opening the body is not a trivial operation (you can find a version of the K-10D body online). You have to peel back the "skin" to get at some of the screws. Once you get the body open you have to de-solder wires in order to completely separate the body. This may not be necessary depending on what you are working on but then you have to worry about tearing some of the wires loose. Then you have to put it back together again - re-solder the connection (and hope you get them right, don't use too much solder or have "cold" solder joints (will fail) or apply too much heat and fry something. The main body gasket should be replaced, the channels for the gasket cleaned and gasket properly seated. Sure you can re-use the old one if weather sealing isn't all the important to you.

Well you get the idea. You may as well send it in and have the body Cleaned, Lubricated and Adjusted at the same time.
07-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Are you sure about that comment? It's not personal you know
Also I can tell you that ASUS do not sell parts to PC service centres either (I run a small PC repair business), they insist that their products are sent to their own centres for quality controlled repair, even if it's out of warranty.
Yes, this might be an inconvenience to many people, but so is a broken device.
No, I'm not sure about that, but it seems that finding support for Nikon and Canon cameras is far easier, there's a Hunt's camera shop 10 minutes from me... On top of that, what good is the "authorized Pentax service center" in Enfield, CT (a fun hour + motorcycle ride away) if they also have to ship out the camera?

QuoteQuote:
It may seem vexing to have to send in your camera for repair on a "five dollar" part... ... Cleaned, Lubricated and Adjusted at the same time.

Yes, quite vexing! I took a quick peek at the remnants of the door and it sure looked like simple spring loaded hinge? I certainly could be wrong, if I am and what you described is what's required, well now I have an all new beef with Pentax!! Resoldering and resealing just to replace $5... err, $9.95 plastic part!? Does that seem like something they missed in the design phase?

But I can see where this going, my expectations are exceeding the reality of the situation, and, I'm frustrated. I've been working on and servicing high performance motorcycles for a while now, I obviously was comparing apples and oranges when I assumed the parts availability I see in motorsports would be comparable with cameras. C'est last vie, et tant pis merde... Thanks for all the replies though, I now know what to expect when I'm in need of any kind of service.
07-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeantarrou Quote
Resoldering and resealing just to replace $5... err, $9.95 plastic part!? Does that seem like something they missed in the design phase?
With all due respect I think you're missing the point a bit here. The K-30 is not just an average camera. It's got something most cameras in it's category do not, weather seals. It probably would be easier to fix if it was just a matter of replacing a standard plastic door, but it's not. You bought a camera that was made to be a bit more rugged and that has more seals than the average DSLR. It's not a design flaw. It's intentionally made that way to protect your camera from letting water in via that slot. Yeah, it's a bit more complicated but would you rather just DIY and maybe end up with a leaky slot? I wouldn't. Your slot door has been compromised. You should let the repair center fix it. Otherwise you might as well forget the whole weatherproofing thing. If the door is broken likely a weather seal is too and you might not be able repair that just by putting on a new door even if you could buy one.
07-05-2014, 03:24 AM   #13

Original Poster
magkelly, I'm not happy about it, but apparently you're right. Not that you specifically are right, but the point you and others made that this isn't a simple fix.