Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #1

Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2 or cheaper flash guns for Pentax K30

Am planning to buy an external flash gun for my Pentax K30 and I don't have much knowledge regarding the external flashes. Read previous posts but did not get much idea regarding the same. As per the reviews, Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2 seems to be good but its very expensive in Australia. Amazon seems to be bit cheaper and I need to check if they can ship to Australia. Is it the best Flash gun available for K30 for the price/value or should I need to consider Sigma EF-610 DG ST or Yongnuo YN 560 III which are tad cheaper? Read Pentax AF540FGZ is not worth for the cost. Please advise.

Regards,
Jai

---------- Post added 05-02-14 at 06:41 AM ----------

Just now had a chat with B&H live agent and was stated that they ship products world wide. He recommended Bolt VS-510P Wireless TTL over Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2 for price/performance ration. This is the first time am hearing about Bolt brand and hence not too sure

Regards,
Jai

05-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Jai,

I don't have a Metz 58 but did get a 52 with my K-30 and like it a lot. I like natural light as much as possible but in the instances where I use flash, the 52 has been great. PTTL on most occasions have done very well with my K-30 for exposure. The touchscreen on this Metz is nice to have which making adjustments very quick and painless. PTLL HSS has been great and also using off camera for wireless triggering. One big advantage that I like is the fact that for the Metz, you cam update firmware on your own which is not the same with the Sigma's where you need to ship it off for updates. All in all, I am very happy with a Metz and I have others who have felt the same.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/260306-metz-mecablit...#ixzz30ZD5askN
05-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Jim. Am currently inclining towards Metz 52 and the cheapest I can find it is for AU$339. Also as per the reviews, Metz 52 supports Automatic fill flash but not automatic mode where as Metz 58 supports automatic mode. Not sure what that means.
05-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
Also the new Pentax AF 360FGZ II looks good as well. But not sure how well it compares over Metz 52

05-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #5

Original Poster
Got the Metz 58 AF-2 along with Sto-Fen Omni bounce. To be honest, never thought flash unit will be this heavy. Its hard for me to hold the camera for a long time even though am using DA 50 F1.8 which is very light. Am still trying to learn different modes and am not sure which one will be better with K30. TTL , PTTL or automatic.
05-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have been using it for over a year. I have had great results with P-TTL or P-TTL HSS and AV is the mode I use most. It is a great flash and much better than a Pentax flash which to me is overpriced for what you get.
05-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Jim. So in P-TTL mode, the flash automatically detects the correct exposure settings from the camera automatically or is there anything that we need to change manually?
05-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

For the most part, that is correct. P-TTL does quite well and in instances if it is overexposed a little, I just adjust down in camera to reduce overexposure but that is in rare occasions based on the scene.

05-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks Jim. When you meant "adjust down in camera". you meant the exposure compensation in camera since there is also exposure compensation in flash itself?
05-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

When using flash either in camera or onboard with a Metz, I decrease the amount of power of the flash itself, with the right button on the 4 way controller ( page 74 of the manual for the K-30) on the back of our cam. You can also decrease the amount within the Metz but I usually just reduce the amount of power through the cam since it is easier to zero it out with the green button. I never make any changes in exposure compensation when using flash since I can handle compensation through changing flash power. I try to keep it simple so that I will not forget to set everything back to zero for the next time I am using the flash within my cam or on the external flash.
05-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaikumarr18 Quote
P-TTL mode
P-TTL works by making a faint pre-flash and measuring the light bounced back to the camera.Then the camera calculates how long the flash fires for in order to control the flash power. To get full power from the flash probably requires as much time as the camera flash sync speed. At lower power settings, the flash fires for a shorter period of time. That is also how HSS (high speed sync) is accomplished (skipping the parts about the shutter curtain). The problem with P-TTL is that you don't have spot metering, so your camera adjusts the flash based on all of the light coming back through the lens. You can set exposure compensation for the flash on both the camera and some Metz flashes, to deal with uneven reflection of light. In theory, you just add the flash compensation from your camera to the compensation from your flash, but it appears that 1 EV compensation on the Metz flash is larger than 1 EV compensation on the K-30. Regular exposure compensation in your camera will affect the amount of ambient light in the shot, but in my experience, the processor in a K-30 will also adjust your flash power based on this setting if you go too far from 0 EV compensation (+/- 2 EV seems to defeat the purpose, but +/- 1 EV allows you to control the effect of ambient light).
TTL , PTTL or automatic
TTL is a generic term (through the lens) that is implemented differently in different brands of camera, hence P-TTL for Pentax cameras. Automatic settings on flashes is different than automatic settings on cameras. On the flash, it takes the aperture and ISO settings and measures the reflected light in its own sensor, and quits firing the flash once enough light is detected. With older cameras that couldn't control the power output of the flash, this was the only kind of automation that you could use. On your K-30, the "A" mode uses P-TTL and decides for you what aperture and ISO to use.
05-19-2014, 04:26 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks guyz. I believe the best bet is to have M setting on camera and use PTTL with flash. Use flash power control from camera to control the flash intensity. BTW whats the maximum shutter speed that can be used using HSS?
05-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
maximum shutter speed that can be used using HSS?
In this case the shortest shutter speed of your camera (1/6000 sec.) is longer than the duration of the flash at minimum power, so it's 1/6000 sec. On my Metz 52 AF-1, 1/6000 sec. is 1/16 power, so the other issue is if you get enough light from your flash in the time that your shutter is open.

The "M" mode on your camera will work with your flash set to P-TTL. I just discovered that if you leave ISO on automatic, your camera is in "TAv" mode even if the dial is set to "M". Flash exposure compensation will over or under expose according to the ISO and aperture set in your camera using the total amount of light coming into your camera. If you find your camera consistently over or under exposes with flash, then set your flash to compensate. Use your in-camera flash compensation to control the balance between flash and ambient light. "M" mode on your camera will give you 100% control over the ambient light coming in, but P-TTL will still control how long the flash fires in order to get enough light to "properly" expose the picture. If that doesn't do what you want, then the only alternative is to set your flash to manual.