Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2014, 03:41 AM   #1

K-30 got wet, display flicker, autofocus issues

Hello dear pentaxians. I've got myself in a dire situation and would like some advice if possible.

We went on a hike and rain hit my K-30. As we know it is WR, but somehow there is haze/humidity between the display cover and the display itself. So it also flickers sometimes and I noticed that autofocus is somewhat sluggish and/or skipping as well. ASAP I have removed the battery and submerged the entire body with the 18-55 attached in rice and left it in the window with some sunshine. It is now drying off, hopefully. I have managed to take some pictures when it was still working (even while wet), they are fine.

In my opinion the WR failed, I cannot imagine how the display got wet. Regarding the focus, well it is working but sometimes it takes a few steps, skips until it is fine or it is just stuck skipping. I have also tried with my other lens and the focus has the same issue.
I've seen some test involving a K-30 and a faucet so I really don't understand why did rain do such damage. Such a disappointment

I think my only option after drying it off really well is to take it to repairs. Maybe some issue with metering circuits?
If any of you had similar issues or has any advice please share.

Thank you in advance.

05-05-2014, 03:49 AM   #2
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just curious. Is your 18-55 lens the WR version?
If not, that might been how moist got into your K-30.
05-05-2014, 03:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
its a shame man.fingers crossed that after it dries out it will be fine. that shouldnt have happened really from some rain. hearing things like this makes me skeptical in taking my k-50 out on a rainy day.
05-05-2014, 03:56 AM   #4

Had the same thing happen to my k-5 a few weeks ago. Took the lens off, opened each and every flap/door on the body and laid it on top of a pile of rice. In a closed container of course, otherwise the rice will absorb moisture from the air as well.
Btw check that you have a type of rice that absorbs well, not all do. I used basmati, that worked. And make sure the rice doesn't touch any critical surfaces, when it gets wet it can be difficult to clean afterwards.

After a week in there my k-5 runs like a charm again. Be patient, don't give it up yet!

Last edited by Lauke_101; 05-05-2014 at 05:30 AM. Reason: This amount of typos even got me embarrassed
05-05-2014, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

The optimum manufacturer verbage is Weather Resistant... Not Waterproof...
Although Pentax is regarded highly in this area it can happen. Now a word of advise, one of the things I learned awhile ago with Lcd screens etc. Is to get an outside protector such as an Acmaxx LCd Armor. It will not only protect the lcd screen but provides additional dust resistance and weather resistance for the lcd. As far as the rest goes, if your going out in inclement weather then check your exterior seals and use your camera wisely IE; zooming, using in high humidity, going from cold to hot or visa a versa etc.
05-05-2014, 05:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the prompt replies.

@Yos, you are right that could be the root cause. But I don't believe it is. Of course it also got wet around the mount and the lens itself had quite a few drops but I made sure that nothing gets in the lens or the body around the mount. I understand the autofocus issues are probably caused by the water around the mount. The haze under the plastic layer of the display is however a mystery so far.

Nevertheless I will pay more attention in the future and for sure get a WR lens (considering the 18-135 and a 100 Macro).

My last hope is that the repairs wont cost a fortune. I'll contact my local shop.

@Lauke_101 I will pay attention to those details. I completely submerged the camera in rice but did not cover the bowl. Also the dust from the rice will pretty much get in every little part. Will take some time to clean it up. I will carry on, like a true pentax camera so a true pentaxian.

Thanks again.
05-05-2014, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

There was some talk a while ago about moisture getting under the LCD screen if insufficient glue had been used on particular examples, but it should eventually dry out and not cause any failures. When I heard this, I wiped a smear of black RTV into the tiny crevice around the screen to be on the safe side. Pentax fixed this in production I believe after it became evident as an issue but I can't be definite in any of this, it's just one of those 'distant memories'.
05-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If the lens wasn't WR, that's probably your root problem. Once the water gets in, it can go anywhere. I wash my K-30 under sink faucet (low pressure), never a drop of moisture inside. I mount my 18-135 beforehand. Also spent 3 days outside in a tropical storm (I live in Florida). I was outside for around 4-6 hours each day with my K-30 and 18-135, 0 problems. It was absolutely pounding rain. I've taken baths that were drier.

05-05-2014, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by atax112 Quote
Thanks guys for the prompt replies.

@Yos, you are right that could be the root cause. But I don't believe it is. Of course it also got wet around the mount and the lens itself had quite a few drops but I made sure that nothing gets in the lens or the body around the mount. I understand the autofocus issues are probably caused by the water around the mount. The haze under the plastic layer of the display is however a mystery so far.

Nevertheless I will pay more attention in the future and for sure get a WR lens (considering the 18-135 and a 100 Macro).

Thanks again.
Even if the camera body is WR, BUT the lens is NOT then it does not make the equation WR. Water is bound to get in. Do as the others have advised and got purchase a WR lens as a walk about lens to replace your NON-WR 18-55.

Hope you get the water out of the body soon or it will cost a bomb to repair as Pentax does not really cover the camera that is wet and used with a non-WR lens.

I have owned Pentax cameras from the K10D up to my current K30 and K5IIs and all my lenses are WR, including the DA* 16-50/2.8 lens I use daily. I live in the tropics and when it gets wet it really pours.
05-06-2014, 12:48 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hello guys.

I really appreciate your replies. I already figured out I messed up bad and it will cost me. It looks like being careful is not enough when in such a situation. Nevertheless when it gets back from repairs I am most certainly getting at least one WR lens. For now I just really hope this wont cost me a fortune. Maybe just really drying it off would also help, but I am not willing to take the risk again.

I really learned a lesson here and I finally start to understand that it is worth the money to get the better stuff. Unfortunately I had to learn this the hard way. Thanks again for all the advice.
05-06-2014, 02:02 AM   #11

I know the pain, but be patient! Give it at least a week and a half to dry, if not more. Don't be tempted to put the battery back in already, that's what can kill it. Rain water doesn't contain a lot of salt, so when it dries out the chance of oxidation forming on the contacts isn't that big.
05-06-2014, 02:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ahh.....it is not WR, that explains it. I have an 18-55WR living in the Philippines and have had monsoonal conditions many times and my K-30 has been quite wet. but I never had a problem. As for foggy displays, I have not had a problem on my LCD but did once get fog on my non WR prime, DA 35, and it fogged up a couple of times when I have left from an air conditioned mall to the car. I was not worried though since that lens is not WR.
05-06-2014, 05:53 AM   #13

Original Poster
Hey guys. Some "good" news.

Seems like after a day the autofocus is back in business. I know I shouldn't be turning it on any time soon, but I did. Stupid, I know.

So the focus looks fine, however the display itself quickly fades into complete blackout after a second or two. Funny thing is that it was working while holding it flash down yesterday. Today it only flickers and goes black.

Nevertheless this gives me some hope. What do you think, should I just leave it for a week or so to be sure it is dry as a bone? The other option would be to get it repaired (maybe they would dry it as well).

Thanks again.
05-06-2014, 06:30 AM   #14

Definitely leave it alone to dry out for at least another week. Saw the same exact thing happen with my k-5, including the fading out of the screen.

If you have any relatives/friends working in a chemical or biological lab you could also ask then to put it in a drying stove by the way. Just came to my mind. Most labs have those, at least mine does.
05-06-2014, 06:42 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lauke_101 Quote
Definitely leave it alone to dry out for at least another week. Saw the same exact thing happen with my k-5, including the fading out of the screen.

If you have any relatives/friends working in a chemical or biological lab you could also ask then to put it in a drying stove by the way. Just came to my mind. Most labs have those, at least mine does.

Thanks for the tip, Lauke_101. What I can do is to try and speed up the drying with a hairdryer. No stove or contact on a lab that I know of.