Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Upon further investigation I have found some more info from Pentax that may be of help:
"The Shake Reduction function may not fully reduce camera shake when taking close-up shots. In this case, it is recommended to deactivate the Shake Reduction function and use the camera with a tripod." -Can anyone define "close up shots?" Such as close to a subject with a normal 50mm focal length lens or by using a 300mm lens that has now gotten you "close" to your subject? Or both cases?
To define 'close' you'll have to resort to maths and trigonometry (I can't bring myself to do it though!). The SR sensors react to angular movements of the body and this works fine at long distances because angular body movement causes unwanted lateral scanning of the subject and hence blur if the SR didn't correct it. However, the body could also have some lateral movement (i.e. perfectly vertical/horizontal) and at long distances this error is a small fraction of typical angular errors but as the subject gets closer this type of movement becomes comparable to angular errors . At macro distances it may be the biggest error and as SR doesn't correct for lateral movement at all, that's why SR is less effective close up.

To work out how close, you would need to know typically how much angular and lateral movement there is in handshake, and subtend that movement to the subject distance at the focal length used. Once lateral movement causes as much error as angular movement I would guess you've reached the defined 'close' distance. It's probably easier to just try it out for real.

05-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ok. Sounds like they are referring to macro shots, which I understand are are best captured with a tripod anyways. I never do any super magnified macro; the "close ups" I do are mainly portraits and in practice SR works great for them.