Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Does Shake Reduction ever turn off automatically?

I am curious to know if when using a very fast or very slow shutter speed (like longer than 1 second or faster than 1/200 sec), does the K30 ever turn off shake reduction automatically, or do I have to always do it manually? Also, above what shutter speed would it be a good idea to stop using shake reduction? Thanks

05-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

No and yes.... however It will turn off when using 2 or 12 second timed mode and in remote mode. Unlike VR reduction it wont reduce quality at a higher shutter speed but can at a low shutter speed.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 05-08-2014 at 01:54 PM.
05-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

There's no shutter speed where you should turn off SR, but always turn it off when mounted on a tripod, bench, etc. SR expects some handheld camera movement and the lack of movement on a tripod can cause a vibrating feedback loop.
05-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Turn SR off for most action shooting too - especially if panning.

05-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok. I knew about 2 sec and 12 sec timed mode but did not know it helped with panning to have it off. I recently found out that that remote mode turns it off too. Sounds like it doesn't automatically turn off besides these instances, so I guess I will have to make a mental note to turn it off when action shooting. And all of my tripod work is done on 2 sec timer to benefit from mirror lock up.
05-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It turns itself off when it detects panning movement but it's probably still better to manually turn it off.
05-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
It turns itself off when it detects panning movement but it's probably still better to manually turn it off.
On what do you base that statement ?

the k5 didn't make much odd on ro off.

But K3 (and I'm told K5ii) use a different algorithm.

In my experience SR leads to occasional sensor resets (pan exceeds sensor travel) occurring during shutter open leading to blurred shots.

This does not happen if you switch it off.

I assume the k30/50 would share k5ii/k3 logic

05-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #8
Forum Member

Shake reduction isn't always on. You have to arm it by half-pressing the shutter button. This is important if you're using back-button AF.

QuoteQuote:
However, in order to get the most out of the SR mechanism, there are a few things you should note. For instance, you cannot assume that SR is always on; you have to arm it by half-pressing the shutter button before actually taking the photo. We talk about this and much more in our latest video tutorial. Enjoy!

Read more at: Pentax Shake Reduction Tutorial - Pentax Tutorial Videos - Pentax Camera Forums
05-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drei3 Quote
Shake reduction isn't always on. You have to arm it by half-pressing the shutter button. This is important if you're using back-button AF.

"However, in order to get the most out of the SR mechanism, there are a few things you should note. For instance, you cannot assume that SR is always on; you have to arm it by half-pressing the shutter button before actually taking the photo."
05-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
On what do you base that statement ?
The SR ready icon in the VF goes out just after panning movement is detected. The small delay could mess up the first shot so turning SR off has to be the best way.
05-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian

One of the nice features with the Oly SR you could select for 3 varibles, Normal, Verticle or Horizontal for panning.
05-11-2014, 02:51 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

The top-of-the-line Oly body may have the finest SR implementation - five ways.

---------- Post added 05-11-14 at 07:53 PM ----------

Shake reduction isn't always on. You have to arm it by half-pressing the shutter button.
I've felt it operating as I've handled my K-30 not realising it was still powered on - no button half pressed, Drei.

Last edited by clackers; 05-11-2014 at 11:01 AM.
05-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Upon further investigation I have found some more info from Pentax that may be of help:

"The Shake Reduction function will not fully work (for about 2 seconds) immediately after the camera is turned on or is restored from Auto Power Off. Wait for the Shake Reduction function to become stable before shooting." -I did not realize this until I recently powered on my camera, but it's true.

Also: "The Shake Reduction function may not fully reduce camera shake when taking close-up shots. In this case, it is recommended to deactivate the Shake Reduction function and use the camera with a tripod." -Can anyone define "close up shots?" Such as close to a subject with a normal 50mm focal length lens or by using a 300mm lens that has now gotten you "close" to your subject? Or both cases?

Last: "The Shake Reduction function will not fully work when shooting with a very slow shutter speed, for example when panning or capturing images of night scenes. In this case, it is recommended to deactivate the Shake Reduction function and use the camera with a tripod." -This confirms that it is probably best to just turn it off since when I experimented more with panning, the shake reduction icon that indicates shake reduction is working would turn on and off during the pan, suggesting it probably isn't functioning as intended.
05-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You don't have to press the shutter button. If you are using back button focusing and the select focus point then this button also activates the SR. If you focus and recompose then yes you need a shutter half press to activate it.
05-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Last: "The Shake Reduction function will not fully work when shooting with a very slow shutter speed, for example when panning or capturing images of night scenes. In this case, it is recommended to deactivate the Shake Reduction function and use the camera with a tripod." -This confirms that it is probably best to just turn it off since when I experimented more with panning, the shake reduction icon that indicates shake reduction is working would turn on and off during the pan, suggesting it probably isn't functioning as intended.
For non-panning shots, you should test what the lowest shutter speed is that SR gives you acceptable results. For me (using proper holding techniques) I can get acceptable results (1 or 2 usable shots out of 3) with as slow as 1/13s on previous bodies, and 1/6s on my K-5 IIs. But if I go just 1 step (1/3 stop) slower on the shutter speed, nearly all photos are useless.

Of course, results are partly dependent on what you consider acceptable and how you hold the camera.