Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2016, 09:52 PM   #631
Pentaxian

They all look pretty good, but the picture of the tiger looks pretty awesome!

A quick shot goofing around with a UV flashlight. Shot with the 18-55 lens.

01-04-2016, 12:33 AM   #632
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
They all look pretty good, but the picture of the tiger looks pretty awesome!

A quick shot goofing around with a UV flashlight. Shot with the 18-55 lens.

Can you explain how you did this for me? Did you stand behind your camera and shoot the light out and just write out that way?
01-04-2016, 06:48 AM - 2 Likes   #633

Hello, all! I'm new to the forums (and photography in general) and thought I would post some of the first photos I've taken with my K-50! I have absolutely no experience with a DSLR and previously just took pictures with my cellphone, so this is quite a change. I did about 1.5 years of research before pulling the trigger on my k-50 (the bright red one) and ultimately decided on it because of the weather sealing and the huge variety of lenses available. I've had my camera for less than a week, but I'm absolutely thrilled with what it can do, and how (relatively) simple it makes it to learn (although i still have a ways to go). First two were taken with my kit lens (and were some of the first photos taken that weren't just a blurred mess), the last with the 200mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-04-2016, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #634
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyBoy Quote
Can you explain how you did this for me? Did you stand behind your camera and shoot the light out and just write out that way?
You'll need a tripod, a remote control, set the ISO to 100, a completely dark area, a light source, & use the B setting (bulb) on the mode dial. If you don't have a remote control, then you can set the shutter to open for 30 seconds maximum & have it timed to shoot on its own to avoid moving the camera, but you're limited to only 30 seconds maximum. You will however definitely need a tripod or be able to leave the camera on something sturdy & motion free.

You basically set up the camera to be in focus by manually focusing on the person that will be wrting/drawing something with a light before anything else. You also tell the person how much room they have & from where to where they will be writing. Like going across the frame. Once you have the focus set & the person knows how much room they have, turn off all lights & open the shutter with the remote or a timed shot. As soon as it's open, the person can start writing something with the light facing the camera. To write Love, I basically turned on the flash light, wrote "L", turned it off, & then turned it on to write "o", & turned it off & so forth & so on. You basically have to write backwards 'cause you're facing the camera. That or you can leave the light on & just swirl it around. Once you're done, you close the shutter with the remote or the shutter will close on it's own at 30 seconds maximum.

View your results.

01-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #635

QuoteOriginally posted by Mijali Quote
Hello, all! I'm new to the forums (and photography in general) and thought I would post some of the first photos I've taken with my K-50! I have absolutely no experience with a DSLR and previously just took pictures with my cellphone, so this is quite a change. I did about 1.5 years of research before pulling the trigger on my k-50 (the bright red one) and ultimately decided on it because of the weather sealing and the huge variety of lenses available. I've had my camera for less than a week, but I'm absolutely thrilled with what it can do, and how (relatively) simple it makes it to learn (although i still have a ways to go). First two were taken with my kit lens (and were some of the first photos taken that weren't just a blurred mess), the last with the 200mm.

Enjoy your camera and keep on posting!
01-04-2016, 10:22 AM - 2 Likes   #636

Hahahaha I'm discovering stuff Thanks Squirrel Mafia
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #637
Pentaxian

^ Ha! That is cool! It gets better when you have another person 'cause you can nail the focus sharpness even better.
01-04-2016, 03:22 PM   #638

^ Ha! That is cool! It gets better when you have another person 'cause you can nail the focus sharpness even better.
So true, light painting is awesome fun and addictive. My favourite are the few sessions I've done at a local adventure playground at night with a bunch of people, lights, fire, steel wool, always great fun.

01-04-2016, 07:10 PM   #639
Pentaxian

^ Steel wool is the bomb! ( ^o^) <3
01-04-2016, 09:38 PM   #640
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^ Steel wool is the bomb! ( ^o^) <3
Steel wool and liquid oxygen really, truly IS a bomb! Don't try this at home children.
01-04-2016, 11:16 PM - 5 Likes   #641

01-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #642
Forum Member

You'll need a tripod, a remote control, set the ISO to 100, a completely dark area, a light source, & use the B setting (bulb) on the mode dial. If you don't have a remote control, then you can set the shutter to open for 30 seconds maximum & have it timed to shoot on its own to avoid moving the camera, but you're limited to only 30 seconds maximum. You will however definitely need a tripod or be able to leave the camera on something sturdy & motion free.

You basically set up the camera to be in focus by manually focusing on the person that will be wrting/drawing something with a light before anything else. You also tell the person how much room they have & from where to where they will be writing. Like going across the frame. Once you have the focus set & the person knows how much room they have, turn off all lights & open the shutter with the remote or a timed shot. As soon as it's open, the person can start writing something with the light facing the camera. To write Love, I basically turned on the flash light, wrote "L", turned it off, & then turned it on to write "o", & turned it off & so forth & so on. You basically have to write backwards 'cause you're facing the camera. That or you can leave the light on & just swirl it around. Once you're done, you close the shutter with the remote or the shutter will close on it's own at 30 seconds maximum.

View your results.
Thanks so much for the great reply! I cant wait to try this out

Great Pictures everyone!
01-05-2016, 10:29 PM   #643
Forum Member

01-06-2016, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #644
Site Supporter

Some really talented photographers here! Here's a recent photo of mine!

01-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #645
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because we have now -24°C outside, I had to pick a pic from last summer, when it was +27°C