Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2020, 06:39 AM   #1261
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,082
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Pretty good! Did you use the Bright.dcp or Vibrant.dcp file or something else? The colors are very nice.
If I must give up my secrets...

I actually start off with the RawTherapee "Pop", mostly because I like its base curve, take off some of that extreme vignetting and adjust the exposure back to normal levels - then I add the Kodachrome 64 Generic film emulation from HaldClut. The result is too contrasty (DA Limited+Polarizer contribute to that) so I back off the contrast a LOT and adjust the saturation as well as needed.

But the stars here I think are the DA 35 Limited, and this old Hoya Linear Polarizer that I have that has some pretty insane levels of color and contrast... once you tame these in PP I think you get some really nice colors with an extended dynamic range that shows details from the shadows naturally as you reduce contrast.

I started experimenting with these settings now with my K10D and the results are also very promising!

QuoteOriginally posted by oversea Quote
I agree with you, very nice processing
Thank you But again, what you perceive as processing is only half because of processing, the other half is the DA 35 Limited and the Linear Polarizer.

I like Linear Polarizers. I have a couple Nikon linear polarizers (big beasts!!!) at 52mm and 62mm that I need to play with my Sigma 30 1.4 Art and my Tokina 24 2.8.

For my DA*16-50 I just bought a used B+W Kaesemann CPL, so no linear polarizer there... I'm mostly going for convenience with the 16-50 and linear polarizers need a bit more attention to make sure you are getting the right exposure. But they're not as bad as people think and 90% of the time the camera gets the exposure correct.

06-27-2020, 12:41 PM - 4 Likes   #1262
Pentaxian
Aaron28's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 4,759
in the yard....K-50...FA31ltd



06-30-2020, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #1263
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,451
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
If I must give up my secrets...

I actually start off with the RawTherapee "Pop", mostly because I like its base curve, take off some of that extreme vignetting and adjust the exposure back to normal levels - then I add the Kodachrome 64 Generic film emulation from HaldClut. The result is too contrasty (DA Limited+Polarizer contribute to that) so I back off the contrast a LOT and adjust the saturation as well as needed.

But the stars here I think are the DA 35 Limited, and this old Hoya Linear Polarizer that I have that has some pretty insane levels of color and contrast... once you tame these in PP I think you get some really nice colors with an extended dynamic range that shows details from the shadows naturally as you reduce contrast.

I started experimenting with these settings now with my K10D and the results are also very promising!
The end result is quite nice.
06-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #1264
Pentaxian
Aaron28's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 4,759
color extract...K-50...FA31





07-02-2020, 03:13 PM - 2 Likes   #1265
Pentaxian
Aaron28's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 4,759
arguing with myself because it's all the rage.....K-50...FA31....cactus v6 for remote trigger



07-03-2020, 02:37 PM - 3 Likes   #1266
Pentaxian
Aaron28's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 4,759
last bit of experiment with selfies for now.....K-50...FA31ltd



07-03-2020, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #1267
Pentaxian
The Squirrel Mafia's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,451
^ Hahaha! That's pretty cool!
07-03-2020, 05:23 PM   #1268
Pentaxian
Aaron28's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 4,759
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Hahaha! That's pretty cool!
haha! thanks!

07-05-2020, 11:43 PM   #1269
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2016
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 70
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
last bit of experiment with selfies for now.....K-50...FA31ltd


Those are excellent!
07-06-2020, 07:11 AM - 3 Likes   #1270
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 712
Haven't posted here since I got my K-70 4 years ago. Unfortunately had an accident with it and my PLM. My buddy to whom I sold my old storm trooper K-50/SMC 55-300 has since bought a K1-II very nicely brought me the old camera and lens back to use while I wait on replacement body/lens (decided to go KP, in the end). K-50 still works fine.

This eagle pic was taken underway in a sailboat in moderate chop. It is about 30-40 meters up and 20-25 meters over (it's up on a bluff with 30 meters of water right next to shore, so you can just about touch the cliff safely). F9 and 1/800sec @ ISO 400 and zoomed to 300mm. Cropped about 2/3. This pushes the lens and sensor pretty far but this is still a quite acceptable result for such a setup and those conditions.

Location: https://earth.google.com/web/@47.42835774,-53.1283358,21.60820814a,312.05381...1.50026389t,0r



Last edited by jgnfld; 07-06-2020 at 07:18 AM.
07-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #1271
Pentaxian
Aaron28's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 4,759
QuoteOriginally posted by Death89 Quote
Those are excellent!
thanks!!!
07-09-2020, 04:09 PM - 3 Likes   #1272
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 712
My KP and new PLM to replace my K70/PLM disaster of a couple of weeks ago arrived today so I will be returning the K-50 and SMC DA 55-300 back to my friend who lent it to me after I totaled my K-70 and PLM and will not be posting here in K-50 photos any more. For the first time in years I was able to get good pics of some nesting cormorants on an island off Harbor Main, Newfoundland. Usually the light just doesn't work--grey on black plus fog is a bad combo for detail. Was out yesterday in some of the brightest sunlight imaginable. Some pics seemed worthwhile...

Don't normally post so many, but this has been a long time nemesis for me! All K-50 and SMC DA 55-300 (click pics for exifs).

07-10-2020, 06:45 AM   #1273
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,082
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
My KP and new PLM to replace my K70/PLM disaster of a couple of weeks ago arrived today so I will be returning the K-50 and SMC DA 55-300 back to my friend who lent it to me after I totaled my K-70 and PLM and will not be posting here in K-50 photos any more. For the first time in years I was able to get good pics of some nesting cormorants on an island off Harbor Main, Newfoundland. Usually the light just doesn't work--grey on black plus fog is a bad combo for detail. Was out yesterday in some of the brightest sunlight imaginable. Some pics seemed worthwhile...

Don't normally post so many, but this has been a long time nemesis for me! All K-50 and SMC DA 55-300 (click pics for exifs).
Those are great pictures!
07-14-2020, 12:04 PM   #1274
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2016
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 70
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Those are great pictures!
Seconded, wish even a quarter of my birding shots with the HD55-300 were that good!
07-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #1275
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 712
QuoteOriginally posted by Death89 Quote
Seconded, wish even a quarter of my birding shots with the HD55-300 were that good!
Thanks...I've been out in my sailboat three times since and I pass this colony every time I leave the arm my marina is in. Weather is back to no-contrast normal. The light made all the difference.


Thanks to other kind commenters as well.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
clair, f/8, farm, flickr, iso, k-30, k-50, k100d, kit, lens, lenses, mm, none, pentax, pentax k-50, pentax k30, pentax k50, pm, post, shots, silkypix, smc a 35-105mm, st, sunset, takumar, valley of fire
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-500 $399, K-50 $499 w/ $50 gift card Adam Pentax Price Watch 3 04-02-2014 06:50 PM
Pentax K-50 Sample Photos Adam Pentax K-30 & K-50 16 08-19-2013 09:02 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K-m + 50-135 + F 100 macro + sigma 17-70 + 50-150 + tamron 17-50 + metz 50 AF blem49 Sold Items 11 07-26-2013 03:25 PM
For Sale - Sold: K-5, K-7, Pentax 16-50, 50-135, 12-24, Tamron 90 Macro, 70-300, Metz 48 and 58, etc hfthomp Sold Items 10 01-10-2013 07:32 PM
Photos of K and M42 mount variations (photos of pentax k-mounts) Just1MoreDave Pentax Lens Articles 11 12-06-2012 12:14 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:21 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top