Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
Forum Member

Multiple exposure questions

Hi all, I have a Pentax K-50, and played a little with the multiple exposure feature of the camera, and had a couple of questions. I don't really know how to word them, but first thing I can say, is thanks to my old "Cokin" filter for double exposures, I can take nice photos of (for example) same person sitting beside themselves, but I can't get my head around what I'd do with nine multiple exposures, meaning, there'd be so much over exposure & ghosting, so I guess my question is, how can you make a nice multiple exposure shot with 9 photos, and at the same time get a wonderful shot? I've always done 2 exposures in my "old SLR" days, so I'm familiar with that. Can anyone share their photos of multiple exposure with more than 2 shots, and explain your procedure?

2nd question I have is: I used to take double exposures of the moon (shot with my old 80-200 mm "M" lens & Vivitar 2x Teleconverter), then switch to my 50 mm or 28mm lens to say take a photo of the moon over my house, but with the new DSLR, when you change out the lens, the multiple exposure feature is terminated. Other than buying a 55-200 or 55-300mm WR lens, is there a way to take a multi-exposure photo while switching lenses from photo 1 to photo 2?

05-20-2014, 12:31 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stacking 2 or maybe 3 photos in-camera is manageable, but if you want to do more (i.e. 9), I'd to it in post. Same for the moon shots.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-20-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Stacking 2 or maybe 3 photos in-camera is manageable, but if you want to do more (i.e. 9), I'd to it in post. Same for the moon shots.
It begs the question then, why offer it in a DSLR camera? There must be some practical reason for it being there.
05-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertminator Quote
It begs the question then, why offer it in a DSLR camera? There must be some practical reason for it being there.
It's mostly a fun feature that's there for you to experiment with, but as with most types of image processing, you get more control if you do it in post.

Digitalrev has a good video on youtube showing how to put to use:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertminator Quote
Hi all, I have a Pentax K-50, and played a little with the multiple exposure feature of the camera, and had a couple of questions. I don't really know how to word them, but first thing I can say, is thanks to my old "Cokin" filter for double exposures, I can take nice photos of (for example) same person sitting beside themselves, but I can't get my head around what I'd do with nine multiple exposures, meaning, there'd be so much over exposure & ghosting, so I guess my question is, how can you make a nice multiple exposure shot with 9 photos, and at the same time get a wonderful shot? I've always done 2 exposures in my "old SLR" days, so I'm familiar with that. Can anyone share their photos of multiple exposure with more than 2 shots, and explain your procedure?

2nd question I have is: I used to take double exposures of the moon (shot with my old 80-200 mm "M" lens & Vivitar 2x Teleconverter), then switch to my 50 mm or 28mm lens to say take a photo of the moon over my house, but with the new DSLR, when you change out the lens, the multiple exposure feature is terminated. Other than buying a 55-200 or 55-300mm WR lens, is there a way to take a multi-exposure photo while switching lenses from photo 1 to photo 2?
Check the box for "Auto EV Adjustment" in the multi exposure menu. This will calculate the proper exposure for however many shots you set it for so you end up with a properly exposed final pic.
05-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can also use a dark opaque card to block off areas in front of the lens to expose only a portion of the frame, then move the card, repeat, etc. Nine is a bit much, though.
05-20-2014, 11:54 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Check the box for "Auto EV Adjustment" in the multi exposure menu. This will calculate the proper exposure for however many shots you set it for so you end up with a properly exposed final pic.
Thanks for that tip! I didn't even think about that one..erp a derp.