Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #1

Sensor stains on my K50?

I bought a K50 three weeks ago to replace my trusty but broken K20. I've been really enjoying the camera, but today while photographing some of my artwork I noticed some spots (stains?) that don't seem to be dust (My camera is set to do dust removal on shutdown.) I shot a blank wall and found at least 8 spots so I checked some of the first photos I took with the camera where there are clear skies and they are there too Has anyone else noticed this?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
05-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This looks like dust, and it's perfectly normal. Try blowing it off with something like a rocket blower, which does a great job of removing all but the most stubborn dust.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This looks like dust, and it's perfectly normal. Try blowing it off with something like a rocket blower, which does a great job of removing all but the most stubborn dust.
Thanks for the quick response, Adam. That is what I'm hoping. I'm just surprised to see so much on a camera straight out the box.
05-22-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ikonographics Quote
Has anyone else noticed this?
Well yeh, I can see the dust spots clearly in your photo

Seriously though, unless your K-50 came with a factory fitted lens, then the moment you remove the body cap to fit your lens for the first time, there's opportunity for dust to get inside. This has nothing to do with the camera body but everything to do with the environment at the time.

05-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Well yeh, I can see the dust spots clearly in your photo

Seriously though, unless your K-50 came with a factory fitted lens, then the moment you remove the body cap to fit your lens for the first time, there's opportunity for dust to get inside. This has nothing to do with the camera body but everything to do with the environment at the time.
I've found my K30 atrracts dust like a magnet! I was totally surprised to see a colleague leave his Canon without a lens while he fiddled around in his camera bag, I have to do a quick change, line up everything so it's all ready and pray!

Tuggie76
05-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Yep looks like dust to me but quite big bits because they are showing up clearly at f9 (I usually need to tests at f22+ to clearly see any significant dust on my K-5.
Hopefully being bigger bits they should move with a blower.
05-25-2014, 04:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter

order the pentax kleening stick
05-25-2014, 10:21 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses :-) I think I'm going to have to invest in a cleaning kit. It definitely seems to be a dust magnet. My K20D never had dust problems like this.

05-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Either that... or the dust spots were smaller than that of the sensor.

I've had dust on my old red K-x and now even on my K-30. It's a pain when you don't notice it when you're on the road taking pictures until you come home.
05-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #10

My k30 is bad for dust, I'm having to touch up every photo I take. Out of curiosity anyone ever taken it to a camera repairers to be cleaned?
05-27-2014, 06:28 AM   #11

Original Poster
Helzmo, I've had it less than a month, so I haven't taken it to a repairers to be cleaned. There is dust on the first photos I took. If it's going to be a dust magnet then I figure I might as well get a cleaning kit because I can't afford to get it professionally cleaned every time it gets full of dust.
05-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The K-30 dust removal does nothing IMHO. A Rocket blower can get quite stubborn bits of crud off if you work out where it is on the sensor (top right in the image = bottom left of sensor looking at the sensor) and blow it with all your muster in the right place, not just a little puff.
05-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I took my K30 to a proffesional, but it couldn't be cleaned, still cost $50! So sent it to Pentax who said there was a scratch on the sensor and dirt behind it and wouldn't cover it under warranty and as I wouldn't pay $400 to fix it, voided the warranty! I sent it to Henry's where I bought it, they wanted $200 to clean it, but when I complained that I couldn't possibly get dirt behind the sensor, they cleaned it for free, but the warranty is still void. Even after cleaning there is a dirt mark that shows up at f22, but I can live with that. I bought a 15-135 lens to reduce the amount of changes I need to do.

I must say, I'm not impressed, but other aspects of the camera are great so not worth trading in for a Nikon yet.

Tuggie76