Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2014, 09:03 AM   #1

Mirror up on K-30

Does anyone know of a way to get the mirror up prior to firing the shutter on a K-30 other than using the timer function?

I was thinking of trying to get some shots using a tripod of my grand-daughter and a 2s delay could mean missing a good expression.
Using a tripod should improve sharpness.

05-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Use liveview, mirror stays up when in liveview. Although I'm not sure that in this case, locking the mirror is necessary
05-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Use liveview, mirror stays up when in liveview. Although I'm not sure that in this case, locking the mirror is necessary
The mirror does not stay up in live view mode when the picture is taken. When you fire the shutter in live view, the mirror comes down again, then goes through the normal mirror-up, open shutter, close shutter, mirror-down sequence. Then it goes up again to return to live view. So, the mirror moves FOUR TIMES when you take a picture in live view mode!

Why? The mirror must be down for phase AF and the exposure metering to work prior to exposure.

That makes it hard to anticipate a moment or capture a moving subject in live view...

Last edited by OregonJim; 05-26-2014 at 11:18 AM.
05-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To answer the OP's question, the dedicated mirror up mode is reserved for Pentax's flagship DSLRs.

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Why? The mirror must be down for phase AF and the exposure metering to work prior to exposure.
I'm not sure this is accurate- in live view, the default AF mode is contrast detect and the exposure is calculated based on the sensor data. If phase detect AF is selected, you have to hit the AF button and the mirror flips down for focusing at that time only.

As far as I recall, the K-3 fixes this behavior and the mirror doesn't come down in between shots.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Try f4 in LV and you may not get the extra mirror flipping. There's a recent thread about this behaviour.
05-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The mirror does not stay up in live view mode when the picture is taken
Just checked and on the K3, K5 and K7, the mirror does stay up when in live view and you snap a photo. Checked on my Kr and the mirror does flap a few times.

To be sure, on the K7 I took the lens out, put in live view (mirror went up) stuck my finger in the camera and took a shot (trust me, I'm a scientist...). My finger didn't get hit, so the mirror didn't budge. I assumed it was the same for the K5 and K3 since you can't see the mirror drop. The Kr you can see the mirror flop so no questions there, the lower level Pentax do drop their mirror.

I don't have a K30 and I wrongly assumed that it would behave like the a K3/K5/K7.
05-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
To answer the OP's question, the dedicated mirror up mode is reserved for Pentax's flagship DSLRs.

I'm not sure this is accurate- in live view, the default AF mode is contrast detect and the exposure is calculated based on the sensor data. If phase detect AF is selected, you have to hit the AF button and the mirror flips down for focusing at that time only.

As far as I recall, the K-3 fixes this behavior and the mirror doesn't come down in between shots.
The OP asked specifically about the K-30, and the behavior I described is accurate for that model (and most others, excluding the flagship model).
05-27-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The mirror does not stay up in live view mode when the picture is taken. When you fire the shutter in live view, the mirror comes down again, then goes through the normal mirror-up, open shutter, close shutter, mirror-down sequence. Then it goes up again to return to live view. So, the mirror moves FOUR TIMES when you take a picture in live view mode!

That makes it hard to anticipate a moment or capture a moving subject in live view...
that's not why. the mirror, aperture and i believe also the shutter are a combined mechanism so you can't reset one without resetting them all.

---------- Post added 05-27-14 at 09:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Try f4 in LV and you may not get the extra mirror flipping. There's a recent thread about this behaviour.
that only works in video mode, because the camera doesn't need to reset the shutter like it does for stills.

07-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I just checked.
Took off lense.
live view.
2 s. Delay.
MF AF.
5 s Exposure.

Mirror stays up.
Haim
07-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Just went through this as I had some problems with long exposures on the tripod, and wanted to confirm what works best - K-30 specific. (Please pay attention OregonJim - as you have provided incorrect information here):

In Live View, the mirror stays up when shooting timer 2 sec. delay, 3 sec. remote, or instant remote (no delay). The mirror cycles down if you use the full 12 sec.delay in timer mode.
(I didn't have a remote with me, and had used 2 sec. delay - and this resulted in some vibration on long tele shots - so the 2 sec. timer is not a good choice.)

Using the viewfinder (not recommended for tripod work IMHO), the mirror will also stay up in 2 sec. delay, or with 3 sec. remote.

Yes, I would rather have a mirror up option, but the K-30 effectively gives you several shooting options that lifts the mirror for three seconds or more. For me, it would be easiest to use the K-01 in this situation, as using a good screen loupe will allow for more-precise focusing exactly on the image location I want - with magnification if needed - compared to any possible VF option. And, of course, I never have to worry about mirror vibration.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 07-11-2014 at 03:08 PM.
08-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I did just test these with my k30 firmware 1.05. As I see these everything works in liveview same as when using optical viewfinder. So in liveview i can hear mirror moving in all shooting modes, mirror goes down and up again when using shutter release button or remote. This means no way to have mirrorup with k30, sad but true. Max 'mirrorup' is 3sec delay in remote delay mode.
08-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Joojoo2010 Quote
I did just test these with my k30 firmware 1.05. As I see these everything works in liveview same as when using optical viewfinder. So in liveview i can hear mirror moving in all shooting modes, mirror goes down and up again when using shutter release button or remote. This means no way to have mirrorup with k30, sad but true. Max 'mirrorup' is 3sec delay in remote delay mode.
My mistake. Sorry for the confusion. Joojoo is correct. In further testing with a longer exposure to actually see the sensor at time of exposure, I confirmed your observation. Your best bet is the 3 sec. delay with remote - optical or LV working the same way. This is the best way to have the shutter closed and mirror up from initiation to exposure. The shutter closes, then opens and the mirror cycles down after shot. While 2 sec. delay works similarly, the camera will tend to vibrate due to touching it and shorter delay. In all other scenarios (including 12 sec. self-timer), the mirror cycles immediately before exposure.

While the 3 sec. delay without touching the camera is adequate for a lot of situations, it certainly isn't optimal. If you don't have the remote with you, your tripod/footing had better be very solid as 2 seconds really isn't enough when using long optics. Early flagship models did not necessarily have mirror lockup. In fact, as late as the flagship K20D, MLU options were exactly the same as for the K30. For those of us with the K-01, no worries as there's no mirror (and the shutter itself is quiet and smooth). Of course, the K-01 qualifies as a flagship of a sort - a very lonely one, though.
08-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Now I agree with u Scooter. Can not accept pentax left out mirror lockup cos it could beimplemeted free in firmware, no extra hardware needed...shame on them, this is same shit marketing bullshit canonikon has been using all time to force upgrade to more expensive models.

Yes Little size mirrorless body would be good idea now, cos looks like there is also problem that with many long exposures miror motor can get tired and stop working.